RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

greenketch

Jun 28, 2006, 7:25 PM
Post #1 of 10 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Superweb?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I was out at a park recently and came across a couple pepes that had a slackline up. I joined in to the fun and had a great time but, the line was much tighter than I am used to and it seemed to be very low stretch as well. When I asked about it one of the slackers said that it was Superweb. It is some sort of 1" wide non tubular spectra webbing. He said it was uberstrong and kinda raved about it. I've never crossed paths with such a product. Anyone out there know anything? I can't even find superweb on the on the old interweb to look stuff up.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 28, 2006, 7:42 PM
Post #2 of 10 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Re: Superweb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Try searching for "supertape" instead. Also, are you 100% sure it was 1" and not 9/16" or 11/16"?

Flat nylon webbing also stretches less and is available in 1".

greenketch

Jun 28, 2006, 8:21 PM
Post #3 of 10 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This was definatley 1" I was wondering if it was a big brother to supertape. I have not played with flat nylon before either. This particular stuff was plain blue with no tracer lines in it and was quite stiff. It seemed to be good to walk on but was not quite as friendly to the feet if barefooted.

Thanks for the hint though I will look up supertape and see if there is a 1" version.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 28, 2006, 9:41 PM
Post #4 of 10 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm almost positive you were on flat nylon as long as your sure it was not tubular. It could have been some sort of static poly pro too but that's not very likely.

You can't dye spectra like normal webbing, that's why you almost always see it in checkered patterns with the spectra being the white part. While technically it can be dyed some colors, it usually isn't and it is always soft and supple compared to nylon.

gymslackerclimber

Jun 29, 2006, 3:14 AM
Post #5 of 10 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

perhaps it was a form of military tech webbing. some type of nomex material or type 18 webbing?

slackinjacklyn

Jun 29, 2006, 3:27 AM
Post #6 of 10 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bet it was Sterling type 18 webbing, it comes in baby blue and crime scene yellow. There have been brief discussions on it in previous threads (possibly in rigging long lines?). I absolutely love this stuff, it is so lively and fun (and easier to stretch tight I think). I encourage all to try it, you may never go back to regular 1 inch tubular. I first found it in Gearheads in Moab, but it is hard to find. I eventually just ordered a spool from Sterling.
-Terry

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 29, 2006, 1:20 PM
Post #7 of 10 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Type 18 is just a type of weave for normal nylon web. It has different characteristics making it more abrasion resistant and lower elongation. It is rated around the 6,000 lb tensile test area making it approximately 50% stronger than mil-spec.

Quick surfing showed it was selling for around $.54 / foot even by the roll.

I should be able to pick up rolls fairly easily. I might have to buy in bulk, but I should get a really good price on it if enough people are interested. It could be useful for increasing the safety margins in highlines.

greenketch

Jul 18, 2006, 6:35 PM
Post #8 of 10 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a follow up on the OP. I met another slacker this weekend that had the same stuff. He loved it, confirmed that it was T-18. He said that he got it at a shop in Moscow Idaho.

Slacklinejoe. when you talk about buying a roll and checkin price what are we talkin about? 600'? I would be willing to commit to 100' just to get a piece and experiment with at home as to how it sets and such in a little better setting. The last guy I talked to had pretty basic rigging skills and said you had to tighten it with a car. I'm thinking you must be able to get it tight in other ways.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jul 18, 2006, 6:50 PM
Post #9 of 10 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Slacklinejoe. when you talk about buying a roll and checkin price what are we talkin about? 600'? I would be willing to commit to 100' just to get a piece and experiment with at home as to how it sets and such in a little better setting. The last guy I talked to had pretty basic rigging skills and said you had to tighten it with a car. I'm thinking you must be able to get it tight in other ways.

I made some calls - I can get it for sure but it's a little over twice the price of normal tubular. The lowest I could go with the quote I got would be $.38 / ft when ordering by 100+ft or $.45 / ft for anything smaller.

I was also told the market / supply for it sucks so I have two options, buy a case of 1,500 yards of what they had on stock (which is Class 2) or wait until the end of September to purchase a minimum of 5,000 yards of Class 1A.

The whole class 2 / 1 / 1a was a bit confusing at first but basically it is the weave type - Class 2 doesn't have shuttle or needle loomed sides so it isn't as suitable for abrasion resistance. In this case, it would be fine for main lines but less suitable for tree slings. I don't know how much the class difference would change price either.

Frankly, I'm going to call another mill or two and check up on it's availability elsewhere. Those numbers will likely go up through other suppliers however.

If I had say 3 rolls "pre-sold" of the class 2 I'd go ahead and pick the entire 1,500 yrds up but my thinking is I'd rather wait and get the 1A stuff if I'm asking anyone to pay more than normal for webbing.

Edit: Rolls are 300 feet / 100 yards.

slackinjacklyn

Jul 18, 2006, 9:04 PM
Post #10 of 10 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My 300' roll cost me about $170 through a climbing shop/sterling dealer. It will all be used for sure. I got blue, the yellow is so ugly.
-Terry

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook