Get Your Groover On
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner j_ung

May 22, 2006, 6:31 PM
Post #1 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Get Your Groover On  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Central: Inner_Peaks_Climbing_Center)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As you may know, the Carolina Climbers Coalition (CCC) closed on what is undoubtedly the most significant cliff purchase in the US to date. Laurel Knob, a 1200' granite dome, is the tallest cliff on the East Coast. But despite its impressive scale, LK has choice lines for most levels of traditional climbers. From Groover, the longest 5.7 in the southeast, to Honed Ranger, a 5.11R scare-fest, Laurel is sure to be a destination favorite for many climbers.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=71219
Bad bolts abound at LK, but work is ongoing and hey, it's OURS!
Now we just have to pay it off.

Since the closing date, the CCC has been focused on a three-fold effort: trail development, retrofitting outdated/antiquated gear and ongoing fundraising. To date, the CCC has raised nearly $110,000 towards the $250,000 price tag. Now we have to pay off our loans.

Next up: Get Your Groover On!*

What: A Laurel Knob fundraiser featuring climbing, a silent auction, trad clinics sponsored by Fox Mountain Guides, a training clinic sponsored by Inner Peaks, free food, more climbing and a photography clinic to be led by Chris Brown (the_alpine). Some of the silent auction items include a day of climbing at the otherwise-closed Chimney Rock** and a day with CCC President, Sean Cobourn, first ascending new routes at an as-of-now undisclosed, secret area***. Toss in a Montrail shoe demo and a Kurt Smith slide show, and you gotcherself one hell of an air-conditioned partay amidst the dog days of the Piedmont. Bring your own beer, but please don't climb after drinking.

Where: Inner Peaks, 9535 Monroe Rd., Charlotte, NC

When: Saturday, July 15, 2006. Clinics start at 5 PM and the rest of the shindig kicks off at 7.

Come on out and support your Knob! Our goal is to raise $10,000. It may seem like a lot, but we're already 10% there -- Mammut stepped up with a $1k check, plus product for the silent auction! I'll post more details to this thread when I get 'em. All you southeast and mid-atlantic traddies... get your Groover on!

*I was pushing hard to call it the Knob Job, but we didn't want to alienate families and the otherwise sensless of humor.
**Chimney Rock has been hopelessly closed for decades, but now, Fox Mountain Guides owns a permit to guide there. Whoever wins this baby will be one of the few to ever climb actual Chimney Rock routes, and I can tell you first hand... it's as good as or better than any other granite in the state.
***Could it be LK herself??!!

boo

May 26, 2006, 1:43 PM
Post #2 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Re: Get Your Groover On [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Charlotte location makes it a great site for all the GA and SC folks. If you need a place to stay, or camping info---just ask or pm. We will hook you up by hook, nook or crook.

We expect this party to be just as much fun as the Bald is Beautiful party last year in Winston-Salem. To quote one NC traditionalist "If you didn't have fun at the BIB, you are a damn fool." (He's gonna be there too! Even if I have to personally drag him there!)

Yep. Get it on your calendar. You won't be sorry.

Partner mr8615

Jun 4, 2006, 6:34 PM
Post #3 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Suhweet, seein as I'm now a North Carolinian (see address below), and merely 2.5 hours from Charlotte, I'm def making plans to BE THERE! Here's hoping that I won't have guiding that day! Sounds awesome, maybe I'll be able to round up some local Brevard climbers to roll out that way.

Mark

xx_811

Jun 5, 2006, 1:02 AM
Post #4 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anyone know how I can get a flyer and post it up around here on the Outer Banks of NC??
I would love to go and support and get some other climbers from here to come with.
Believe it or not, I am coming across more and more beach living folk who do love/live to climb, but for one reason or another have found themselves here.
My e-mail is
Suzi@hh3.com
THANKS!

cccman

Jun 6, 2006, 5:49 PM
Post #5 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We now have received almost $10,000 worth of goodies to auction off and are working on more! Come have a great time, score some sweet gear and help pay for an awesome cliff!

Partner j_ung

Jun 30, 2006, 2:26 PM
Post #6 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Make that more than $12k!

Additional information from the CCC and Inner Peaks:

In reply to:
Admission: $10 for adults, $5 for children 12 and under. 100% of the proceeds will go to benefit the CCC’s purchase of Laurel Knob. This party BYOB but you must be able to show identification if you're drinkin'. Inner Peaks will be grilling burgers and dogs (hot, not crag) for your dining pleasure.

Door prize and silent auction items now total over $12k -- but we have to convert it to cash to make it useful to the Knob effort! Everybody who attends will be entered automatically in a drawing to win a tandem skydive from Carolina Skydive, a Mammut Rope, a day of climbing at the otherwise-closed-to-climbing Chimney Rock and much more!

Our silent auction will include a First Ascent with CCC president Sean Cobourn at his secret crag. Bid on hi-tech apparel from Outdoor Research and Mammut, climbing gear from Black Diamond, Metolius, Trango, and Petzl and backpacks from Gregory. Starting bids on all items will be at less than 50% of retail.

Plus Kurt Smith will show his ‘Greatest Hits’ slideshow presentation and a complete Laurel Knob topo will be available for sale.

We also offer three clinics -- prior the party from 5pm-7pm -- for a nominal donation of $15 per person. You have to pre-register for these, with a limit of ten per clinic, so make sure you do not miss your opportunity.

1. Chris Brown (the_alpine– Climbing Photography.

This clinic offers the basic concepts of outdoor photography. Addressing issues of composition, lighting, exposure and timing. Will include a private screening of some of Chris’ best action photos.

2. Donovan Craig – Training for Climbing.

We have designed this clinic to help you sort through what works, what does not and how to get the most out of training. We will discuss warm-up, different training devices (hangboards, campus rungs, etc.), different training methods, and injury prevention. We will also look at designing training regiments for targeting different disciplines, bouldering vs. sport, endurance vs. power, and so on. Come and join us for an introduction to training. And learn to increase your power and/or endurance.

3. Adam Fox – Self rescue.

This 2 hour course will look at setting yourself up for success minimizing the chances of creating a situation that requires a rescue in the first place. We will look at cutting edge rescue techniques with new devices and theories. Forget the ‘Belay Escape’ and anything you have seen in current manuals or magazines!

Bonus Clinic Adam Fox - Outdoor Smart Anchors.

This Clinic will be held on Sunday July 16th from 9am-4pm, there is a limit of 8 participants. Adam Fox will lead a day long anchors class at Crowder’s Mountain State Park. Cost is $85 per person and pre-registration is required.

This class will look at current climbing equipment, materials, use and limitations and how to build quick and efficient anchors for the single and multi-pitch environment. We will look at rock and component evaluation, component connection methods, how to tie into and utilize these different anchors for efficient climbing systems.

svilnit

Jun 30, 2006, 3:22 PM
Post #7 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn... has to be on a weekend that I already booked to go up north :x

Partner j_ung

Jun 30, 2006, 3:34 PM
Post #8 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah well, you'll be there in spirit, I suppose. :)

I saw your post in CI's gri-gri thread. Not sure when I'll be back in MD. My family is bugging me to come up, but I think I want to wait till the weather cools down a little. When I do, I'd like to set aside a day to hit Annapolis Rocks -- I'll keep you cats posted!

svilnit

Jun 30, 2006, 4:30 PM
Post #9 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ah well, you'll be there in spirit, I suppose. :)

I saw your post in CI's gri-gri thread. Not sure when I'll be back in MD. My family is bugging me to come up, but I think I want to wait till the weather cools down a little. When I do, I'd like to set aside a day to hit Annapolis Rocks -- I'll keep you cats posted!

Definitely let me know, would love to meet up and head out there. Tying to get some people together from this site for next weekend.

As to the benefit.... is there a way that you could put up some of the items on the website so people nationwide could participate in the silent auction?

Just a thought...

Partner j_ung

Jun 30, 2006, 4:40 PM
Post #10 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oooooo... that is an interesting thought. Let me bring it to the attention of the organizers and see what they say.

svilnit

Jun 30, 2006, 4:54 PM
Post #11 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Oooooo... that is an interesting thought. Let me bring it to the attention of the organizers and see what they say.

That's why they pay me the big bucks! It's such a great cause that I'm sure many would participate, but geography just makes that impossible. Ebay style auction with the proceeds going to the event. Now that would be hot! :twisted:

I LIKE IT! Now you have to do the hard part and find out how to make it all work :D

fivesix

Jun 30, 2006, 5:40 PM
Post #12 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Jay, on the home page it makes fundraiser sound like its at Laurel Knob, instead of Inner Peaks- just thought i'd share that with you, did want a bunch of sorry sods thinking that they were going out to Laurel Knob the day of!

as for the items, guys, the Carolina climbers coalition has a list of all the gear that will be auctioned off. http://www.carolinaclimbers.org

ive already got people signed up for the clinics, you can sign up on inner peaks website. just wanted that out there so people would know that it does require pre-sign up.

if nothing else, i think people will just show up for the free food!

anyways see you there, if not, thanks for the contribution.

Cheers

moose_droppings

Jun 30, 2006, 9:22 PM
Post #13 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you can't set up an auction, is there at least a way to by a ticket to get in on the drawings without being there?

moose_droppings

Jun 30, 2006, 9:23 PM
Post #14 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you can't set up an auction, is there at least a way to by a ticket to get in on the drawings without being there?

edwardmedina

Jun 30, 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #15 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Definitely. Drop me a line and let me know what item you are interested in bidding on. I'll find you a proxy to hold your tickets. We will charge you the regular admission fee ($10) and you can buy as many raffle tickets as you like.

moose_droppings

Jun 30, 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #16 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^^
I sent you a PM Ed.

rck_iceclimber9

Jul 1, 2006, 1:00 AM
Post #17 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can see pictures of Chimney Rock and some of its first ascents if got to "routes in North Carolina" on this website. Unfortunately, it doesn't show the awesome 2 pitch arete-face climbing or the 3 pitch 5.8+ (he he) slab. But the bar none best route there is Chimney Crack which, hence the name, goes up the Chimney. The rock is just like the bald across the street and it sucks to climb there in the summer as much as it does at the bald, but fortunately it is north facing. For more information visit www.foxmountainguides.com, and good luck to the lucky winner.

Partner j_ung

Jul 3, 2006, 3:56 PM
Post #18 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey Jay, on the home page it makes fundraiser sound like its at Laurel Knob, instead of Inner Peaks- just thought i'd share that with you, did want a bunch of sorry sods thinking that they were going out to Laurel Knob the day of!

All fixed, Donovan! Thanks!

meshuga3

Jul 4, 2006, 2:40 PM
Post #19 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just wondering- is Laurel Knob open for climbing during this fundraiser? It sounds awesome, but if I can't climb... man, that would be a shame.

Partner mr8615

Jul 4, 2006, 4:15 PM
Post #20 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mesuga, you might've misunderstood. the fundraiser is in charlotte at inner peaks climbing gym, laurel knob is in western nc, a fair distance from charlotte. This is a fundraiser centralized in nc, not located at laurel knob. But, I'm in western nc and if I get a cooler day, after I buy a topo at the fundraiser, i'm game for goin out to check it out. Hopefully i'll see you at inner peaks!

Mark

Partner mr8615

Jul 4, 2006, 4:15 PM
Post #21 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mesuga, you might've misunderstood. the fundraiser is in charlotte at inner peaks climbing gym, laurel knob is in western nc, a fair distance from charlotte. This is a fundraiser centralized in nc, not located at laurel knob. But, I'm in western nc and if I get a cooler day, after I buy a topo at the fundraiser, i'm game for goin out to check it out. Hopefully i'll see you at inner peaks!

Mark

boo

Jul 6, 2006, 1:11 PM
Post #22 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Peeps at Inner Peaks have busted tail to make this event a success. We could use a few more volunteers to ease things. That way no one person gets stuck doing everything, all night. We want everyone to have fun.

P.M. me or respond to this thread if you can help with one of the following:

Need 4 more folks to flip burgers, help with cooking

Need 4 more folks to help with the silent auction/raffle tables

Need 8 more folks to commit to bringing a dessert of one sort or another. (These don't have to be homemade if you aren't a cook. A quality store bought item delivered to the event is equally appreciated.)

nan

Partner mr8615

Jul 6, 2006, 1:49 PM
Post #23 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I'm planning on leaving Brevard at 5pm, and getting there as soon as I can. I'm definitely up for flipping some burgers or helping out in any way that I can. Just let me know.

Mark

cccman

Jul 12, 2006, 1:14 PM
Post #24 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Come one come all to this awesome event where everyone comes out a winner because it helps us pay off Laurel Knob and we have sooo many prizes it ain't funny. Bring your wallets and credit cards for the raffles and silent auctions!

boo

Jul 12, 2006, 3:00 PM
Post #25 of 34 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey who all is going to the GYOG from the southeast?

I heard from the organizers and there are a couple of slots open for clinics, too.

Rumor has it that Tim Fisher is going to be there...

nan

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook