Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Arapiles/Grampians over Christmas/New Years
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jcinco

Jul 12, 2006, 4:16 PM
Post #1 of 1 (645 views)
Shortcut

Arapiles/Grampians over Christmas/New Years  (Australasia: Australia: Victoria: Arapiles: Arapiles__An_overview)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My wife and I are thinking of a 3-4 week trip to Australia around Christmas/New Years. I would like to spend about half of the trip climbing in the Arapiles/Gramps area. Is it too ridiculously hot that time of year to climb in that area?

I checked weatherbase.com, which had the average daily highs around 80F (about 27C) at that time of year, which isn't too bad.

Even if it is climbable, I'm sure we will be chasing shade. What are folks recommendations for the must-visit shady crags and routes at Arapiles and in the Gramps, and at what time of the day are they shady? I'd be looking for sport up to about 26/27, single-pitch trad up to about 23/24, but multi-pitch no harder than about 19/20.

I spent a week at Arapiles about 5 years ago, but don't remember what the best shady crags would be. I have the Mentz/Tempest guide, so I can probably seek out the more southernly aspects, but I'd like to hear it from the horse's mouth.

As for the Gramps, I have a Victoria-select guide. Just cruising through that guide it looks like most of the classic crags have a lot of northern exposure, which is bad for summer. Would it be worth getting the more comprehensive guidebook to the Grampians?

Any other world-class summer destinations we should hit in SE Australia? My Victoria-select guide has Mt Buffalo, which looks good. Any recommendations for that over Arapiles/Gramps? Any recommendations for must-do routes there? Other places?

Thanks...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook