RSS FeedRSS Feeds for World Climbing News

Premier Sponsor:

socialclimber

Jul 12, 2006, 6:55 PM
Post #1 of 9 (3538 views)
Shortcut

75 Yr Old Says Rock Climbing Less Scary Than a Nursing Home
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports a very nice story about Jerry Dodgen, 75, who doesn't act his age. It's a shame the reporter doesn't have a clue.

tradrenn

Jul 12, 2006, 7:11 PM
Post #2 of 9 (3538 views)
Shortcut

Re: 75 Yr Old Says Rock Climbing Less Scary Than a Nursing H [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Awesome.

On my last trip to Gunks ( July 4th) I have met a guy named William, he is 74 and he is still leading.

Those people give me hope for times when I get old.

sbaclimber

Jul 12, 2006, 7:22 PM
Post #3 of 9 (3538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
He wore a harness, its belt carrying rope, dozens of locking carabiners (metal pins that he pounded into the rock with a mountain hammer) and a chalk bag so that his hands wouldn't slip
Wow :shock: I can't figure out which is worse, the grammatical errors, or the technical errors :!:

Edit, actually, it would be possible that there are no grammatical errors, but that would just make the technical errors worse :oops:

djoseph

Jul 12, 2006, 7:36 PM
Post #4 of 9 (3538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very cool.

Also check out one of the best rc.com threads: Old Climbers.

Fantastic!

Dan

saxfiend

Jul 12, 2006, 8:31 PM
Post #5 of 9 (3538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jerry's a great climber and a terrific guy. At his birthday party recently, we got to see a video of him celebrating his 70th birthday by leading a 5.10 (trad). I hope I can ever lead that grade, much less when I'm 70!

If you want to see a better picture of him, go to the Dixie Cragger's Atlas web site; there's a really nice shot by Scott Perkins of him leading Razor Worm (5.9) at T-Wall.

In reply to:
dozens of locking carabiners (metal pins that he pounded into the rock with a mountain hammer)

Now if we could just break him of that habit of hammering his locking biners into the rock! They're a bitch to clean!

JL

snowjunkie

Jul 13, 2006, 4:41 AM
Post #6 of 9 (3538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I occasionally climb at the gunks with a guy named Rod who is in his mid 60's. He climbs barefoot pretty often as well (although it's on the lesser rated stuff). Anyone who goes to the gunks enough has probably seen him there... I call him my "living Gunks Guide" because he's been climbing there for 30+ years and knows the place like the back of his hand. I just hope I can climb like he does when i get to his age... being able to climb when I'm 75 would just be amazing.

Partner devkrev

Jul 13, 2006, 12:04 PM
Post #7 of 9 (3538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I occasionally climb at the gunks with a guy named Rod who is in his mid 60's. He climbs barefoot pretty often as well (although it's on the lesser rated stuff). Anyone who goes to the gunks enough has probably seen him there... I call him my "living Gunks Guide" because he's been climbing there for 30+ years and knows the place like the back of his hand. I just hope I can climb like he does when i get to his age... being able to climb when I'm 75 would just be amazing.

Rod took Trainor and me on our first multipitch climb, Shockleys Ceiling.
dev

gunkiemike

Jul 13, 2006, 3:17 PM
Post #8 of 9 (3538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I know who Rod is. He wore Fabiano Black Beauties long after soft shoes had become the norm. Black Beauties were my first specialty rock boot back in he mid 70's. They were TOTALLY rigid (full length steel shank), moreso even than RR's and Shoenards. It's no wonder he prefers bare feet; those things were dreadful to climb in. (But I climbed the Empress at Chapel Pond slab in them!)

And FWIW I climbed Minty earlier this season with a guy celebrating his 75th birthday.

steelhands

Jul 20, 2006, 12:18 PM
Post #9 of 9 (3538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hired Jerry as a guide at T-Wall last summer to help with trad skills. A great guy and climber.

Forums : Archive : World Climbing News

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$35.96 (10% off)
$105.30 (10% off)
$7.16 (10% off)
$8.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook