RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

artistandclimber

Jul 25, 2006, 5:35 AM
Post #1 of 2 (922 views)
Shortcut

Bad Nuts and Bolts
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am building a home wall, and I am on a budget. When I bought holds from stores, like the metolius ones that come with bolts and T-nuts, Everything went fine. But recently I have had to purchase my own T-Nuts and Bolts. I have had nothing but problems. The hardware store only sells 2 inch bolts, and they are only threaded half way up, so if my hold isn't really long, I half to screw on plywood to the back of the panel so the threads will catch. Also, If I hammer in the t-nut a little bit wrong, I half to take it out and start over, and usually, the threads are just bent enough to strip the bolt. Also, the bolts don't all fit the t-nuts and everything seems just so inaccurate and cheap. Help!!!

wrbill

Jul 25, 2006, 6:19 AM
Post #2 of 2 (922 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bad Nuts and Bolts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

From the sounds of it you are putting your t-nuts on after you have the wall up, if that is the case then the best way is not to hammer them in. You put the t-nut in by hand then put a bolt in with no hold and pull the t-nut in. By doing it this way you will make sure the t-nut goes in straight. If you have not put your plywood up then hammer them in before you put the plywood up. The best way is to use a two or three pound sledge hammer, that way you get them in with one hit and the second hit set it tight in the wood.

As for your bolts, don't go to a hard wear store, like Home Depot or Lowes. You should find a store that sells just fasteners. I just did a search for you city and found the same store that I use. The company is Fastenal. They will have the bolts that you are looking for in all lengths.

I hope this helps and if you have any more question just send me a PM and I will try to help. Plus put up some pics of your wall so we can check it out.

Bill

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook