RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

wallwombat

Jul 28, 2006, 4:57 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1072 views)
Shortcut

A good general mountaineering axe?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

G'day. I'm looking to get me a good general mountaineering axe and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I'm looking for something that would be suitable for classic routes in say, New Zealand, Peru, Bolivia, the Alps, etc.

skinner

Jul 28, 2006, 6:09 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1072 views)
Shortcut

Re: A good general mountaineering axe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a pretty general question, which is hard to offer an opinion w/o knowing what grade of routes you are planning on climbing. A lot of it really comes down to personal preference, but for a single light glacier axe I *personally* really like the Black Diamond Raven Pro Ice Axe

It's so light in fact, you hardly know you are carrying it.

salamanizer

Jul 28, 2006, 7:32 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^^
What he said...

locoduck

Jul 28, 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Raven Pro is a great axe when wieght is your only worry. I have one, and like it enough, but if i had to do it again I'd look at the Grivel Air Tech (i think that's the one), and Petzl's offerings. I find the adze on the Raven Pro to be too small, and its curled profile very frustrating in hard snow/ice. It tends to get hung up more frequently than I like. If you're chopping alot of belay stances, and clearing crud frequently, you will save more energy chopping with a better adze than with the pure weight savings of the Raven (pro).
Good luck in the hills!

rocketsocks

Jul 29, 2006, 5:39 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've seen a lot of people with the Raven and Raven Pro, I don't think you would go wrong with either choice. They are indeed very light weight, yet fairly sturdy and reliable.

Personally I prefer the Air-Tech Racing axe, because it has a forged Chrome-Moly head. I haven't seen any ice that I was afraid my axe couldn't catch in, and I like having that extra level of comfort. Though I'm pretty much a noob at alpine mountaineering, so take my opinions with as much salt as you like.

west_coast_climber

Jul 30, 2006, 12:48 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ditto. the raven, and its newer forms like the raven pro, are great all-round axes. i especially like how he top of the head is flattened out, instead of being a knife-edge like on some other brand's axes. as a result, it's easy on the hands after hours of plunging. just my 2 cents.

stagg54

Jul 30, 2006, 1:15 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Raven Pro and I like it. You won't go wrong. Its super light and sturdy. I also really like the way the head is shaped. It's real easy on your hands.

However if I had it to do over again I would get a Grivel Airtech.

Why?
There's not that much weight difference. The grivel seems sturdier. The main reason - the adze. I don't like the diamond shaped hole that the Raven has. It makes it a pain to dig snow anchors. When you clean the loose snow out, it just falls through the hole. Also the shape of the adze causes it to get hung up more when digging. Also the the adze on the raven pro is not very wide.
Just some points to consider.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook