Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Ward Lake / Florence Lake Routes
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

cloudbreak

Sep 3, 2002, 4:47 AM
Post #1 of 4 (3638 views)
Shortcut

Ward Lake / Florence Lake Routes  (North_America: United_States: California: Western_Sierra: Huntington_Lake-Kaiser_Pass)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was climbing in the Florence Lake area above Huntington Lake, and found five sets of anchors set up on a nice wall right near Ward Lake. Does anyone have any info on these routes, i.e. how long ago the anchors were placed and maybe what the routes are rated. I climbed this wall all weekend and had such a blast.

Marc

jmlangford

Sep 3, 2002, 5:35 AM
Post #2 of 4 (3638 views)
Shortcut

Ward Lake / Florence Lake Routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I did some climbing in that area but not on the wall behind Ward Lake. The whole area along the road between Portal Forebay and Florence Lake is an absolute goldmine. Lots of awesome rock everywhere.

cloudbreak

Sep 3, 2002, 3:46 PM
Post #3 of 4 (3638 views)
Shortcut

Ward Lake / Florence Lake Routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear ya about being a goldmine. This particular wall was just past Ward Lake on the way to Florence Lake, and sits right next to the road facing Southeast.

hairyapeman

May 8, 2007, 4:57 AM
Post #4 of 4 (2609 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cloudbreak] Ward Lake / Florence Lake Routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Me and my partner climbed we think for the first time "Ward Lake Puke"(-5.10). A great face climb. If you go to the furthest away camp site. And hike up the slab for about 3/4 mile, you'll see a huge wall (85-100Ft.) above a smaller one (15-20Ft.). You have to climb up the smaller one around the east side and protect it with a couple of cams. Once on top of the smaller wall you'll see a little tree on top with (if it is still there) some red and i think yellow slings. Just follow your instinct and climb around it to the south and hike up around the top of the bigger wall to set up a top rope. Very fun and if you want it is a great A2-A3 awsome top rope aid practice.

(This post was edited by hairyapeman on Jan 12, 2008, 12:33 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook