Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Anyone climbing at Kepler SP (Iowa) in August?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mckbill

Jul 31, 2006, 5:52 AM
Post #1 of 9 (1713 views)
Shortcut

Anyone climbing at Kepler SP (Iowa) in August?  (North_America: United_States: Iowa: East_Central_Iowa: Palisades_Kepler_S_P_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If so, are you willing to help a n00b learn the basics? I have been studying climbing in books and following the forum for over a year, and am interested in learning from others; else, I may try to teach myself top roping in the bouldering area.

Please let me know if I can join your party to learn the important basic skills. Except for climbing shoes, I have no equipment, but will purchase a harness and whatever else is recommended. Once I know more I intend to purchase a rope, webbing and other gear needed for safe top roping at this area.

Thank you for your time.

Please reply to this topic, or email me at: bill@terrapinisle.com.

Thanks!

--mcKbill

photon

Jul 31, 2006, 7:09 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1713 views)
Shortcut

Re: Anyone climbing at Kepler SP (Iowa) in August? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Look up Lexmark from this site. He's THE authority on Palisades Kepler and the Englebert Humperdinck of the top-roping world!

picaco

Aug 2, 2006, 11:33 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another good spot to try that isnt' too far from C.R. is Pictured Rocks out by Monticello, you just may want to check out the Access Funds website as it is starting to appear that access may become and issue. People at UI should know more about it if you ask them, otherwise feel free to email as I used to climb there religiously when I lived in Cedar Falls. Also, if it interests you, I could probably point you in the right direction as to someone to climb with out there as I still know some people in the Cedar Falls/Cedar Rapids area.

Happy climbing,

Ben

lexmark

Aug 2, 2006, 11:59 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to learn how to toprope I'd ask this guy.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photo/photo_show.php?id=65653

Seriously, I never climbed at Palisades and know nothing about it other than some boulders. If you climb at the gym, you'll find partners for sport climbing during the fall. I'd give up on trad and top-roping and learn to sport climb b/c that's what we've got.

picaco

Aug 3, 2006, 7:09 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'd give up on trad and top-roping and learn to sport climb b/c that's what we've got.

Good advice if you plan to just stay in Iowa, but should you want to explore other opportunities outside of IA, trad would be something to look into.

mckbill

Aug 14, 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the suggestions here and from folks at SuperTaco.

At this point I will take my time and make a few more visits to the climbing gym at the University of Iowa Fieldhouse in the hopes of finding some mentor-types. I may even look into the classes offered by recreational services at the U.

Thanks again everyone!

-- Bill

jmgillund

Dec 3, 2006, 11:36 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1516 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mckbill] Anyone climbing at Kepler SP (Iowa) in August? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was raised in Cedar Rapids and am very familiar with the Palisades Kepler state park, I started climbing there. I think you are looking for the Palisades access area. This is located across the river from the known park. The Iowa climbers out of Iowa city used to maintain a few areas. They had put permanent pieces in the walls, I dint know if I would trust them now. this was 15 years ago.
I have the needed gear and would enjoy seeing that area again.
Let me know if you get this.

Mark jmgillund@msn.com

jmeizis

Dec 4, 2006, 7:05 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mckbill] Anyone climbing at Kepler SP (Iowa) in August? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought U of I had a climbing club? I would look into that you'll meet lots of new people and they'll teach what you need to know and then some. I went to ISU and the climbing club is great there. Otherwise I'll be in Ames in a little over three weeks to visit my girlfriend and I'd give you a lesson but I won't be able to bring my gear with me and it will most likely be cold, windy, and maybe a little snowy (oh how I don't miss Iowa weather) so I don't know that it would work. Hanging out at the gym can work if you're an outgoing person as well. Good luck.

mckbill

Dec 5, 2006, 10:50 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1483 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmeizis] Anyone climbing at Kepler SP (Iowa) in August? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jmeizis,

I am not a very outgoing type of person, so I found the U of I climbing wall not a great place to hang-out and seek climbing partners. I will look into the climbing club as you suggested.

I've been in touch with jmgillund offlist and look forward to a possible meeting this January at KP.

[Jmgillund, I will try calling you at the number you gave me in your email message].

Thanks again!

-- Bill

(This post was edited by mckbill on Dec 5, 2006, 10:51 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook