Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Linville Gorge Beta
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

summiteer

Aug 2, 2006, 8:41 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2877 views)
Shortcut

Linville Gorge Beta  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Western: Linville_Gorge)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone out there know how the weather is October - December (winter) in the Linville Gorge area. Trying to find a place on the east coast to practice multi pitch alpine climbing before going out west in January. Any help would be appreciated. It does not necessarily have to have ice or snow, just cold conditions and multi pitch routes (3 or more pitches).

whipperman

Aug 2, 2006, 8:56 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2877 views)
Shortcut

Re: Linville Gorge Beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Weather will be absolutely perfect for climbing from October-December. High temps during that stretch will likely range from 50-70 degrees with maybe the odd day in the 40s. I wouldn't consider that alpine training ...we call that prime climbing season.

thorne
Deleted

Aug 2, 2006, 8:58 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It could be mild. Or it could be pretty nasty. We typically don't get much snow before mid-December.

Check to see when the gate (up to the parking lot) is locked. I think it gets locked around December 1st. This just means you get an extra mile of uphill hiking.

Other options are Looking Glass or Seneca Rocks. Seneca is at least five hours from any place in NC.

weatherm

Aug 2, 2006, 9:32 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its really rainy up there, so be prepared to have great climbing weather the next day and then wakup at 4am in your tent with a thunderstorm rolling through. You can also climb at Tablerock wich is at the parking lot and of course The Mummy and The Daddy are on the trail to the left of the parking lot. Across the gorge is some tough guy stuff... if your tough you can makeup a new route :) Hit me up if you need any info

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook