Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

boulder_junky

Aug 2, 2006, 7:36 AM
Post #1 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Highline free solo?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am quite new to slacklining so this may be a very dumb question, but I figured I'd risk it and ask it anyways. Does anyone free solo highlines, I haven't come across it being mentioned at all.

Partner slacklinejoe

Aug 2, 2006, 3:02 PM
Post #2 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Re: Highline free solo? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Leashless walks have been done by a few. Probably the most notable was Dean Potter.

Edit: See post below.

v_nuthin_ace

Aug 2, 2006, 3:30 PM
Post #3 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't put Dean as the most notable, he just has just gotten more recent press. Others did it first and more often. Dean is most noted for his climbing not his highlining, the others mentioned here have sacrificed climbing to concentrate on highline for years on end.

There are 3 highliners that have mastered the free solo. Darrin Carter was the first, making him the most notable, Darrin was the first person ever to free solo the Lost Arrow Spire, and he did it too many times to count over a span of several years. He also free soloed on a TV show over a building, adding to the pressure.
Shawn Snyder also free solos highlines. I saw Shawn free solo a highline in Moab after not walking slackline for a full year. Unreal.
Dean has free soloed the Lost Arrow Spire, but not nearly as often as Darrin did, but Dean has gotten somw of his solos on catalogue covers for Pattagucci.

Darrin Carter was the original highline free soloer, the first to do it on camera, and the first highliner to ever be paid. He and his friends were the impetus that got Shawn and Dean started in slackline and highline.

Dean came much later after Darrin had already taken the sport to a new level.

Being famous for climbing, and being the most notable free soloist in highline history are NOT the same thing.

Partner slacklinejoe

Aug 2, 2006, 3:39 PM
Post #4 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I should have reworded that as the most publicized being Dean. Which of course has a lot to do with having a publicist or whatever Patagonia does to promote his projects.

uncleslackline

Aug 3, 2006, 2:05 AM
Post #5 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What you should do Joe.
Is stop posting on subjects that you know absolutely nothing about, just to put your link up!!!!

Partner slacklinejoe

Aug 3, 2006, 2:30 AM
Post #6 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Uhm, guys, this is a discussion forum. Feel free to add as much to the OP's question as you want.

I didn't say no one else did it at all - to the contrary. I was merely throwing out the name I perceived to make it in the largest number of articles that I see down here and certainly don't want to downplay everyone else's achievements.

v_nuthin_ace

Aug 3, 2006, 3:51 AM
Post #7 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I took your comment as just mis-stated, but I agree with Unc that your normal "target a newbie for business MO" cannot be discounted here. But as long as I continue not to see any ratchets in Yosemite, I'll forgive you.(Joke)

At the very least your comment was misleading, and for anyone to point that out shouldn't be a problem.
No worries Joe, we're all just bros from different mos.

Dr Feelgood prescribes multiple volumes of John Muir, Norman Clyde and Clarence King, less sales pitches, and numerous pilgrimages to Yosemite.

That'll be $200 for the internet house call. I'll send you the bill. :lol:

"I know I've reached the wilderness beacause there is nothing there worth buying"--??????

boulder_junky

Aug 3, 2006, 5:02 AM
Post #8 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the information. I dunno if Joe deserves all that crap he's taking for just answering the question. Even if it was misworded, this is a forum for discussion and that's why there are people that come afterward to add new information. Also, I think it only makes sense to use this site as a place for advertising, as long as the response is relevant.

healyje

Aug 3, 2006, 5:44 AM
Post #9 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adam G. was tradwalking the Monkey back in the 80's...

v_nuthin_ace

Aug 3, 2006, 2:02 PM
Post #10 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like Boulder and Joe see eye to eye.
Enjoy your new ratchet.

yeah Adam was who Darrin and Scott Balcom (first person to walk the Spire) were hanging with when they decided to start highlining. Never heard of Adam free soloing anything though, Scott either.
There was a first "experimental highline" under a bridge in Pasadena, before the Spire was attempted, but I have heard that it was on 2 inch wide webbing, so it was a cheater line for sure.

i met a guy in Red Rocks, who was a Yose valley rope walker (pre-webbing) back in the early to mid 70s. Seems lots of rope walking, chain walking, cable walking, etc in the Valley led up to the use of webbing.

The guys who originally tried to walk the spire used a steel cable, but never sent. That cable is still around up there somewhere. Then Balcom came in in 1985 with webbing and sent it.
Darrin Carter helped rig it, and was there watching Balcom's first and unsucessful attempt. Darrin said he never saw a stranger look on anyone's face. That after trying to walk the Spire highline, Balcom looked like his mind had been completely blown. It was that look that Scott had after his unsuccessful attempt, that motivated Darrin to basically LIVE at the Spire for many years and master that line, and achieve the first and most free solos of the Spire, ever. Darrin said that that look on Scott's face was how he knew that highlining would be the ultimate Mind F-ck.

healyje

Aug 3, 2006, 4:10 PM
Post #11 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sounds like Boulder and Joe see eye to eye.
Enjoy your new ratchet.

yeah Adam was who Darrin and Scott Balcom (first person to walk the Spire) were hanging with when they decided to start highlining. Never heard of Adam free soloing anything though, Scott either.
There was a first "experimental highline" under a bridge in Pasadena, before the Spire was attempted, but I have heard that it was on 2 inch wide webbing, so it was a cheater line for sure.

i met a guy in Red Rocks, who was a Yose valley rope walker (pre-webbing) back in the early to mid 70s. Seems lots of rope walking, chain walking, cable walking, etc in the Valley led up to the use of webbing.

The guys who originally tried to walk the spire used a steel cable, but never sent. That cable is still around up there somewhere. Then Balcom came in in 1985 with webbing and sent it.
Darrin Carter helped rig it, and was there watching Balcom's first and unsucessful attempt. Darrin said he never saw a stranger look on anyone's face. That after trying to walk the Spire highline, Balcom looked like his mind had been completely blown. It was that look that Scott had after his unsuccessful attempt, that motivated Darrin to basically LIVE at the Spire for many years and master that line, and achieve the first and most free solos of the Spire, ever. Darrin said that that look on Scott's face was how he knew that highlining would be the ultimate Mind F-ck.

Adam tradwalked the monkey several times back then on both cable and webbing. It was Adam, Jeff Ellington and I forget who else set up the first wire on the spire but didn't quite have it guyed sufficiently to completely cross under the conditions that day. They were out on it, however, as I've seen a shot of Adam on it out just past the midpoint. And yes, they stashed the wire behind a flake somewhere on the wall I believe.

codhands

Aug 3, 2006, 4:34 PM
Post #12 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Does anyone free solo highlines, I haven't come across it being mentioned at all.

I prefer to have a competent belayer while slacklining. :shock:

areyoumydude

Aug 3, 2006, 8:14 PM
Post #13 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

V and unc, You guys should really chill out on joe. It makes you look like dicks on the inter net and I know that you're not.

Healy, calling leashless highlining tradlining is funny but it doesn't make sense. Trad you know means the tradional way of doing things and free soloing a highline has only been done by a small elite group of highliners. Tradlining a highline would be with a leash conected to you and the highline. Sportlining would be a leash clipped into a fixed line above you (geh). :D

Partner coldclimb

Aug 3, 2006, 8:43 PM
Post #14 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
V and unc, You guys should really chill out on joe. It makes you look like dicks on the inter net and I know that you're not.

Seconded, and I've said the same before more than once. Chill out some, guys, act like yourselves.

veganboyjosh

Aug 3, 2006, 9:35 PM
Post #15 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Seconded, and I've said the same before more than once. Chill out some, guys, act like yourselves.

word.

toejam

Aug 3, 2006, 10:03 PM
Post #16 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the most notable, though certainly not the first would be these guys.

v_nuthin_ace

Aug 3, 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #17 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You guys make me laugh.
Oh My God, he said joe had a business oriented MO, we better chastise V for that, even though it is true, because who knows if Joe can take that kind of bombshell comment on an internet forum.

So quit over reacting to me saying he has had a business MO in the past, is that really a comment worth getting up in arms over?????? Heck, Joe took it better than you did, that should tell you something.

And a couple of you, I think with your past arguments with folks on this forum, you would be the kettles calling us black. How easily we forget.

Please feel free to point out what in MY post you feel Joe needs to be protected from, I thought It was worded in a pretty tame way.

And John, you should be careful about telling people who they are, the amount of presumption involved in that statement in undoubtable.

Partner slacklinejoe

Aug 4, 2006, 1:20 AM
Post #18 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So quit over reacting to me saying he has had a business MO in the past, is that really a comment worth getting up in arms over??????

To the OP: Sorry this thread got a little hijacked merely because I posted a single person's name.

I'd like to submit this post from the "Way-back Machine" just for consideration - THIS would be considered a slackline business sales pitch.

boulder_junky

Aug 4, 2006, 4:39 AM
Post #19 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha, don't worry about the hijacked thread. It happens and I got the information I wanted anyway. Thanks to everyone for informing me. You all are welcome to continue the new conversation if you like, I'm done with the thread.

healyje

Aug 4, 2006, 7:12 AM
Post #20 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Healy, calling leashless highlining tradlining is funny but it doesn't make sense. Trad you know means the tradional way of doing things and free soloing a highline has only been done by a small elite group of highliners. Tradlining a highline would be with a leash conected to you and the highline. Sportlining would be a leash clipped into a fixed line above you (geh). :D

Tradlining it is though - sportlining is with a leash whether above or below. The Wallendas were quite a crew; had lunch with Steve W. in Seattle once - interesting though I thought still a bit haunted even though he was still doing some wild walks.

veganboyjosh

Aug 4, 2006, 7:43 AM
Post #21 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You guys make me laugh.
Oh My God, he said joe had a business oriented MO, we better chastise V for that, even though it is true, because who knows if Joe can take that kind of bombshell comment on an internet forum.

and what place does pointing this out have in this thread? it's been pointed out before, plenty. and now we've hijacked the thread to talk about it again.

In reply to:
So quit over reacting to me saying he has had a business MO in the past, is that really a comment worth getting up in arms over??????

if you had only done it once, or twice, and if it was somehow blatantly crazy off the wall out of place, then it'd not be an issue. as it is, you've done it over and over again, and it's getting annoying. so what if he has his company in his sig? he's not the only one.

In reply to:
Heck, Joe took it better than you did, that should tell you something.

tells me he's tired of hashing it out with you, only to see the same thing happen again.

In reply to:
And a couple of you, I think with your past arguments with folks on this forum, you would be the kettles calling us black. How easily we forget.

um....ok.

In reply to:
Please feel free to point out what in MY post you feel Joe needs to be protected from, I thought It was worded in a pretty tame way.

In reply to:
I took your comment as just mis-stated, but I agree with Unc that your normal "target a newbie for business MO" cannot be discounted here.

In reply to:
What you should do Joe.
Is stop posting on subjects that you know absolutely nothing about, just to put your link up!!!!

seems totally off topic.
who gives a shit if he's got a linkn to his website in his sig? that has nothing to do with who has soloed highlines before, so why point it out? and it seems to me he had something right about potter doing highlines...yeah, his answer wasn't the full on researched to death encyclopedic answer...but i don't think he was aiming for that.
and whoever said joe needs protecting from anything? all larry said was chill out, it makes you seem like dicks. john agreed, and so did i.
it's getting old seeing new threads in the slackline forum and then waiting for joe to post, and to see your response that's off topic, and putting him down cos you don't agree with the tightening system he uses/sells.
he's not the only business owner who posts here.

In reply to:
And John, you should be careful about telling people who they are, the amount of presumption involved in that statement in undoubtable.

i think what he meant was that you and uncle seemed cool in moab, when we all hung out, slacked, drank, camped, etc...but your internet personalities seem off of that mark.
i was excited to meet and hang out with all of you on that trip. i've since come to realize that perhaps some of the people i met weren't who i thought they were...

v_nuthin_ace

Aug 4, 2006, 3:48 PM
Post #22 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whats funny here vegan,
Is that you say bringing up in one sentence his possible MO, in a posts that had LOTS of other info for him that took many sentences, was the big off track, but your three posts commenting on that small part of my posts was the real hijack, so quit being a hypocrit. It seems to me you three had more reason to comment on Uncs post that had no info, and was all critical, but being the lazy ass you are you decided to lump us together to make a point.
You took a small percentage of the info I posted and YOU took that to a place that was no info, all argument. So KMA.

As for people not being who you think they are, that is laughable coming from a guy that like to slackline in a dress. (Really)

veganboyjosh

Aug 4, 2006, 4:03 PM
Post #23 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Whats funny here vegan,
Is that you say bringing up in one sentence his possible MO, in a posts that had LOTS of other info for him that took many sentences, was the big off track, but your three posts commenting on that small part of my posts was the real hijack, so quit being a hypocrit.

my apologies to the OP. and to everyone else, at this point, for dragging this out. yeah, the thread is now fucked, but it seems to me the original question has been answered and responded to.

In reply to:
It seems to me you three had more reason to comment on Uncs post that had no info, and was all critical, but being the lazy ass you are you decided to lump us together to make a point.

correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't larry mention both of you? and i believe john and i both quoted the same post where both of you were mentioned...

In reply to:
You took a small percentage of the info I posted and YOU took that to a place that was no info, all argument.

um...yeah, i brought it up cos it's getting old, you and uncle bashing on joe. i'd rather read about slacklining, than your beef with him selling ratchets. what neither you or uncle seems to understand after repeated posts is that NO ONE GIVES A FUCK if he sells ratchets for use in slacklining. you and he have said that they're not real slacklining etiquette, as if there's some sort of rulebook that defines what can be used to tension a piece of webbing for walking on.
what if he was selling some device that enables someone to rig a slackline
from their car? would that be good slackline etiquette?
and so what if he puts alink to his website in his sig?
i'm not defending him, per se, i'm just tired of you guys taking over innocuous threads with telling the world he doesn't know anything, and has no right to post something cos he sells a related product. i don't know him, and i take it you don't either.

the original off track post from larry was a call to chill out. that's it. that's all he and john and i were saying. if that's too big an order for you, then it shines a light on you that's not all that flattering.

In reply to:
So KMA.

no thanks.

In reply to:
As for people not being who you think they are, that is laughable coming from a guy that like to slackline in a dress. (Really)

brilliant.

areyoumydude

Aug 4, 2006, 4:20 PM
Post #24 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Whats funny here vegan,
Is that you say bringing up in one sentence his possible MO, in a posts that had LOTS of other info for him that took many sentences, was the big off track, but your three posts commenting on that small part of my posts was the real hijack, so quit being a hypocrit. It seems to me you three had more reason to comment on Uncs post that had no info, and was all critical, but being the lazy ass you are you decided to lump us together to make a point.
You took a small percentage of the info I posted and YOU took that to a place that was no info, all argument. So KMA.

Well Budda, You've really got some thin skin and it saddens me. I've seen you over react time and time again. A couple of your freinds try to give you a little advice and you insult them with highschool remarks. It makes me sick. You can take your highline team and stick it. I'm done. You are doing a diservice to the slackline community and I want nothing to do with it. Please take me off of your web site. As for Slackfest 06' I'm out. Have fun on your own.

Josh, I thought your dress was very nice.

I'm out,

Larry

gymslackerclimber

Aug 4, 2006, 5:44 PM
Post #25 of 74 (15377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OH geeze!

What do you know about the relevancy fallacy called "Ad Hominem" or perhaps the presumption fallacy called, "Hasty Generalizations"

hahhaha,
why, do fokes hold on sooo tight to something they dont need? or need to understand what other people are thinking, and dont find peace until they "think" they understand?

i just read this in a book a day or so ago,
"if we insist that things must be reducible, all that we do is put ourselves in a box"

promote slackline as often as possible, but quit promoting the best option! because there is none!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook