Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Partner sauron

Sep 3, 2002, 3:39 PM
Post #1 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

rc.com get-together in the Wichitas...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Amber, take it away...

- d.

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 3, 2002, 3:42 PM
Post #2 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

rc.com get-together in the Wichitas... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sure that there is *plenty* to add .. but I'm at trying to dodge 'real' work this morning so I thought I'd start a trip report ... .. thinking about climbing is so much more fun ..

Saturday, we went to the Narrows and climbed a few routes .. being the daring young flatlanders that we are, we started our morning with a minor ground fall, an inverted fall, and a piece of passive pro that popped as the leader was doing a semi dynamic move. After that, it was just a good old TR party. Camhead led a 5.9 roof (No Stone Unturned) that will learn to love me .. I cleaned (got the crux move on my second try .. woo hoo!!). xterramo gave her a go, but she bucked him off a couple of times so he gave up .. :-P .. not sure who else tried as we were belaying from the top to reduce rope drag.

There was another route that most of us attempted in a dihedral on left zoo wall, but I cant remember then name or grade (never leave a blonde in charge of taking notes .. lol!) .. it was the route that earned the ground fall (bruised heel was the only injury .. whew!!). The first few moves were *Really* awkward and balancey .. I think everyone sent it on TR though.

Several of the group went ahead and left at that point (heat of the day, humid, southern OK .. you get the picture). Some of us stayed and climbed a little more. We ran into superdiamonddave and chuckd278. (very cool guys) Camhead led Crazy Alice (5.8, classic), clymbr_chk cleaned .. jeff (friend of xterramo) and maybe even mo himself climbed it as well. clymbr_chk and camhead also climbed Dr Coolhead (11-ish face) on TR, and then a funky little crack to the right of coolhead, not sure of the name, probably a 9-ish route, good hand jams, fun balancy stuff. ...

Clymbr_chk's son practice setting gear while we climbed Middle Zoo Wall and had darn some good placements. At the end of the day, Camhead climbed the dihedral to the left of Crazy Alice to claim some booty (a 4 cam .. woo hoo!!) ... but I'll let him expound upon that .. the rest of us left at this point and took the 'scenic route' home

Sunday night, we ran into bean and her friend Wroyce .. super cool people. Love Bean .. hilariously cool chick .. definitely stay on her good side, though .. lol! .. Because of a sore foot, we nixed the plan for Elk Slabs (again, my apologies to Chuck and his friend), and headed for the Meadows ... Cyberclimber and fam, Bean, Wroyce, camhead, and Clymbr_chk and son left for the Meadows on Sunday morning. xterramo, jeff, xcit and fam joined us later. We had another TR party on Sunday. Camhead led his first 11 in Oklahoma and took a nice sized fall on it. (He'll deny it, but I think that he's secretly starting to love granite.) wroyce also sent the climb, several others attempted, and clymbr_chk cleaned the anchors. (clymbr_chk attempted to give up, but camhead had issues with letting her off the same climb two times in a single trip .. her choices were clear: send the climb, or, well, send the climb.)

xterramo had his first sport lead on Taco Time (a stiff little 5.6, super balancy and a little thin up top). And, Congrats to Mo for FLASHING his first lead!!! i think almost everyone played around on this fun little number, and all of the kiddos had their turn (yippee for the kiddos). Several of us also did another route immediately to the left (Inceptor, probly 5.6/5.7) .. an EXCELLENT warmup route with a bear cave about 3/4 up the route .. lol ..

At this point, we were hot, tired, and cranky, so we packed up and went to LETRA for a swim. Several of us got beta from the army guys on how to do the slides a little faster. Cyberclimber and his family left, xcit's family went back to their camp at Doris, and the rest of us slacklined and then went to Meer's for dinner. After dinner, bean and wroyce left. :-(

Monday, we headed for Upper Mt Scott. We all warmed up on Atomic Knee-drop (5.6). Even chk's son (6yrs) got in on the action .. even did some pretty cool technique .. layback, gaston, and i think even a nice little mantle .. Chk was beside her self with pride (and a little jealous with the layback) .. Xterramo and clymbr_chk also did a little flake off to the right of atomic knee drop, probably a 5.8 .. pretty thin at the top, but lots of fun.

Jeff and xterramo left, but then we ran into some boulderers so pushfurther was a happy camper. We watched them boulder for a bit .. camhead and pushfurther gave the problem a try, then camhead set up a TR on a super challenging face. (Affectionately known at "The Top Rope Route" because it's virtually impossible to lead.) Camhead and chk flailed their way to the top before packing up and heading home.

All in all, it was a good trip .. thanks again to everyone who came and helped contribute to this trip!! Feel free to fill in the blanks, missing route names, details overlooked, etc etc ..

[ This Message was edited by: clymbr_chk on 2002-09-03 10:01 ]

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 3, 2002, 3:43 PM
Post #3 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and for me not being able to start the thread, but thanks to Dom for starting it so that I could post my little report ..

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 3, 2002, 3:57 PM
Post #4 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes .. we missed seeing gakin and a few others who werent able to make it .. but fear not, we drank the beer and fun for ya ..

gakin

Sep 3, 2002, 4:21 PM
Post #5 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh I see how it is. Just rub it in. Sounds like everybody had a great time.

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 3, 2002, 4:23 PM
Post #6 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*rub* *rub* *rub*

cyberclimber

Sep 3, 2002, 4:24 PM
Post #7 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't have much time, but Amber filled in the main points anyway.
My trip started Thursday after work, I barely got camp set up in LETRA before dark, got a good nights sleep.
Friday Bryan (climbnnow) met me and we went to upper Mt.Scott. I led Atomic Knee Drop, a fun 5.6 crack, then set up a top-rope and belayed Bryan on his first ever rock climb. We both climbed it a couple of times on top-rope, then I led Foolish, a very fun 5.7 crack/face climb and Bryan seconded it. Then we set up a top-rope and did laps on it for awhile. This was Bryans first climbing experience ever, he started out the day a rock virgin and ended an experienced belayer, seconder, top-roper, and rappeller, not bad at all for a first day. He first climbed in some hiking boots with bad rubber, then switched to a pair of Vans, then for the last lap on Foolish, he climbed bare-foot, all of this with five bad, deep blisters on his finger-tips,,,very hard-core.
Amber filled in the details on the rest of the trip. I was the fool who took the 20 ft grounder while trad leading Sundown Dihedral, a 5.8, that pretty much blew the weekend for me. I did get up and finish that climb, but that was the last climb I finished.
It was great meeting everyone, I hope to climb more with all of you in the future. I will try to add more when I have a bit more time.

Partner camhead

Sep 3, 2002, 4:27 PM
Post #8 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lotsa fun. I still hate granite, and if there ever was a climb that made me want to hang up my harness for good, it would be the misleadingly named "Toprope Route". Goddamned .11c slabs... the special ingredient is Lame Sauce.

Other than that it was an excellent time. Cool atmosphere and tolerable people (other than the dirty jokes).

Things Amber neglected to mention:
-Military Police searches
-wandering around above the narrows in the fading evening
-speeding tickets
-bison-riden approaches
-her impeccable but passively asserted sense of direction

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 3, 2002, 4:31 PM
Post #9 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, another ingredient for impeccable lame sauce .. Forgetting the Bop-it .. I'm sorry, again, guys .. totally lame of me ..

Sounds like reasonable cause for another trip, though ..

climbnnow

Sep 3, 2002, 4:46 PM
Post #10 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just wanted to thank J.C. for getting me started climbing. I had a great time even though I was only out there a little bit (prior engagements). Next time I will be there the whole time. I enjoyed watching camhead and clymbr_chk climbing at the Meadows on Sunday and if i'd had known about Monday, I would have been there. Anyway, if anyone is down/up here again, let me know and I'll tag along.

Thanks J.C. for telling everyone about the blisters

It was nice meeting everyone and I hope to see you again.

Bryan

superdiamonddave

Sep 3, 2002, 4:47 PM
Post #11 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was great meeting everyone in the narrows. Hey this is just a reminder of the Quartz Gathering next month. C-Ya there.
http://www.wichitamountains.org/

climbnnow

Sep 3, 2002, 4:59 PM
Post #12 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quartz gathering???

Partner sauron

Sep 3, 2002, 4:59 PM
Post #13 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How could you forget the BOP IT?

SHAME ON YOU!

- d.

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 3, 2002, 5:03 PM
Post #14 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know, I felt horrible .. I was all excited, driving down the road, "Okay, hand me the Bop-It" ... "Uhh .. I thought you had the Bop-It" ... "No, I thought you had the Bop-It" ... *sob sob sob*

chuckd278

Sep 3, 2002, 5:18 PM
Post #15 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Amber no problem. We hiked to the slabs about 9 am and were finished by about noon. She had never been on a multi-pitch route with a hanging belay so I took her on the 4 pitches to the top way. A group of new gear, trigger happy, cam droppers were clogging up the routes when we left so it may of not been as fun to be there anyway due to the lack of routes at elk slabs. See you and your group at Quartz next month. Hint, Hint.

Chuck

superdiamonddave

Sep 3, 2002, 5:43 PM
Post #16 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbnnow, here is another thread with a little more info.
http://www.rockclimbing.com Forum Index » Regional Discussions »Quartz Mountain Fall Gathering

I am not sure if this is how a person attaches a link, but I thought I would give it a try.

Nope, it didn't work. I'll try it another way.

[ This Message was edited by: superdiamonddave on 2002-09-03 10:44 ]

superdiamonddave

Sep 3, 2002, 5:46 PM
Post #17 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quartz Mountain Fall Gathering

Still didn't work.

Well, just look under routes, then oklahoma, then scroll down and click on Quartz Mtn. Fall Gathering.

[ This Message was edited by: superdiamonddave on 2002-09-03 10:47 ]

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 3, 2002, 5:57 PM
Post #18 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A link to the Quartz Gathering ...

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=13508&forum=27&7

Climb on!
amber

[ This Message was edited by: clymbr_chk on 2002-09-03 10:58 ]

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 3, 2002, 6:02 PM
Post #19 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, yes .. and camhead makes a good point ... I've heard it several times before and now have a better understanding for the motto, "Dont Speed Through the Refuge!"

superdiamonddave

Sep 3, 2002, 6:28 PM
Post #20 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Amber, I don't know why I was having such a time with that.

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 3, 2002, 7:12 PM
Post #21 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No worries, Dave ..

hugepedro

Sep 3, 2002, 8:56 PM
Post #22 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll definitely be at the Fall Gathering.

And for you Refuge regulars who wish to get involved in supporting and maintaining this great resource, there is a Narrows trail maintenence project taking place the following weekend. It's organized by the WMCC (Wichita Mountains Climbers Coalition), which is also putting on the Fall Gathering.

And if you really want to lend your support, join the WMCC (it doesn't cost that much).

Check out their web site.
http://www.wichitamountains.org/index.html

pushfurther

Sep 3, 2002, 9:08 PM
Post #23 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

link regarding the narrows trail work...
http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=11320&forum=27&2

as for the gathering, i had a good time even though i didn't climb much. i'm not a fan of heat and humidity.

thanks to everyone who came out.

how i will remember you guys..
cyberclimber-um...falling!
clymber_chk-the resident mommy(need water? need salt? need sugar? need me to stop asking questions?)
camhead-i hate granite! i hate stoppers!
xterramo-can't drive a stick.
jeff-shiner bock..the natioal beer of texas.
bean-ou rules.
wroyce-gracie!
xcit-that foot placement was bomber.

yeah. e-rock in november???????????

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 3, 2002, 9:25 PM
Post #24 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL!!! I'm down for E-rock .. and you forgot about my PowerPuff bandaids and antiseptic spray ..

pushfurther

Sep 3, 2002, 9:27 PM
Post #25 of 90 (7664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

e-rock is your home turf.

set the date.

climbing will ensue.

even though i don't like texa(n)s.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?