Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
How common are bats at Nemo?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

chossmonkey

Aug 15, 2006, 7:24 AM
Post #1 of 9 (1420 views)
Shortcut

How common are bats at Nemo?  (North_America: Canada: Ontario: Golden_Horseshoe: Mount_Nemo)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm curious how common bats are in the cracks at Mt. Nemo. Particularly on the route Ground Zero. I've climbed a fair amount at Nemo and never seen or heard any that I can recall.

One of the theories I've come up with as to why Granite Grrl fell where she shouldn't have fallen was that there was something in the crack that startled her or bit her. When I think critters in cracks, bats come to mind. Think of bats and rabies comes to mind. Just wondering if I should be worried about that now too. In the big picture I think it is very unlikely that a rabid bat bit her and made her fall. But then again if bats are quite common it might not be such a long shot.

Thanks

Nate

Partner j_ung

Aug 15, 2006, 7:38 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Re: How common are bats at Nemo? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting theory. I'm reminded of a story an EMT instructor told me about a man in a car wreck. First responders treated his injuries, but completely missed the fact that he was diabetic and in need of glucose, which likely caused the accident in the first place.

Bat, snake, spider? Twig that looked like a snake? Broken hold? There are several possibilities other than bats. Has anybody revisited the site? And by "site" I mean the move on the route, not just the landing zone.

Partner abe_ascends

Aug 15, 2006, 7:50 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've seen bats out at Nemo after it gets dark, but never in the morning. I suppose they have to hang out somewhere during the day. Although I'd have to second j_ung's thought that there are so many possible variables (bats, bugs, broken holds, etc) that one needs to look at all of them in order to find out what really happened. But a rabies shot couldn't hurt?

Partner dominic7

Aug 15, 2006, 7:55 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But a rabies shot couldn't hurt?

From what I understand, they hurt like the dickens.

nthusiastj

Aug 15, 2006, 7:56 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Never been to Nemo, but in Eldo there are alot of swallows that sound like bats that live in cracks. I went up a route last year hearing screeching behind a huge flake. I think it's prob a nest. I lean in and place a #3 to find a writhing mass of about 20 bats trying to sleep. creepy.
Luckily bats don't bother me...

krillen

Aug 15, 2006, 9:29 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well nemo DOES have a lot of crevase living bats, but I'm no one can be sure if that was what caused her to fall or not.

Two summers ago, I was starting up Forever Young which has no protection for the first 20ft or so. I reached a the small ceiling jsut before the first bolt, and as my hand grabbed the undercling I was hissed at and nearly fell. I dropped to a squating position but kept my hand where it was (otherwise I'd have been free-falling). Once I figured out what was going on, I calmly clipped in and moved past it. So the possibility is there...I was never bitten or even SAW what was making so much niose, but there was definately something in that crack/undercling and it wasn't happy with me being there.

darkside

Aug 15, 2006, 10:48 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nathan - I've come across bats in cracks at Nemo and definitely seen some flying at dusk but no idea in what sort of numbers, they're around.

Bats are a possibility but you may never have the answers you're really looking for. Only Rebecca will know and after such a traumatic accident, it would be no surprise if she never remembered. The human mind is amazing like that, she'll remember the consequences, but may never remember the immediate pain and terror. It's a great self preservation mechanism.

wanderinfree

Aug 16, 2006, 9:29 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
But a rabies shot couldn't hurt?

From what I understand, they hurt like the dickens.

Not anymore. Used to be you had to get the shots in the stomach, but that's old school. Nowadays the treatment is 6 shots in the arm/butt during the course of a month. So only hurts as bad as a normal shot.

chossmonkey

Aug 17, 2006, 8:46 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Has anybody revisited the site? And by "site" I mean the move on the route, not just the landing zone.

Yeah Jay we did. We rapped the route, then I TRed it. We are uncertain of where it was exactly that she came off.

I did start this THREAD about the accident its self.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$13.46 (10% off)
$8.96 (10% off)
$17.95 (10% off)
$53.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook