Forums: Archive: World Climbing News:
John Bachar and Steve K. involved in tragic car accident...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for World Climbing News

Premier Sponsor:

vegastradguy

Aug 17, 2006, 6:17 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2896 views)
Shortcut

John Bachar and Steve K. involved in tragic car accident...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

On Sunday, August 13th, Steve Karafa, President of Acopa became victim of a tragic accident on the way home from the Outdoor Retailer Summer Market trade show. Also injured in the accident was John Bachar and Anastasia, both of whom are expected to make a full recovery. RC.com sends its condolences to Steve's family and wishes John and Anastasia complete recovery.

Like many folks in the business, John does not have medical insurance. Mammoth Mountaineering Supply has set up a donation fund to help him cover his medical bills- if you feel like helping out, please either send donations to:

Mammoth Mountaineering Supply, ("John Bachar Fund"), PO BOX 2297, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546

or contact Dave (dave@mammothgear.com) to find out how else you can help. Another great way to help is to support Acopa itself by checking out their product at Acopa USA.

edit to add this from mountainproject.com:

"John Bachar is in stable condition following his accident earlier this week. Unfortunately, he is without medical insurance and will be facing tremendous medical expenses. If you’d like to help John, a fund has been set up by the AAC.

Donations can be made to the American Alpine Club for the John Bachar Fund. People can either mail checks to us at:

John Bachar Fund
American Alpine Club
710 10th St. Suite 100
Golden CO 80401

Or donate online at www.americanalpineclub.org. Click on “support us” and take it from there. In either case we need to know in the memo line on a check or a note or the comment field in the online option that this is for John Bachar.

Anyone in Mammoth Lakes can still drop off donations at Mammoth Mountaineering and the Acopa shoe offer is still on. For the foreseeable future, Mammoth Mountaineering will give John the proceeds (after whsle) to John for his expenses, of our Acopa sales. We will cover shipping. you can call the store or email me at dave@mammothgear.com or 760 934 4191. When Acopa gets going again all sales directly through them will also benefit John and Acopa 100%. Wear Acopa.

Every bit helps!"

climbsomething

Aug 17, 2006, 6:30 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2896 views)
Shortcut

Re: John Bachar and Steve K. involved in tragic car accident [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's also worth nothing that Anastasia is known to rc.commers as heximp.

overlord

Aug 18, 2006, 12:47 AM
Post #3 of 10 (2896 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

man, thats sad. how come climbers always get hurt in a traffic accident?

any details?

climbsomething

Aug 18, 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #4 of 10 (2896 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know, but it scares me more and more. This weekend Alex and I were en route to California in a terrifying (to me) pounding rainstorm. A convoy of semis was blowing mist at 65 mph (relatively slow but it was pouring, pea-sized drops, with blinding lightning), we couldn't really pass any of the trucks, and other passenger cars were tailgating and flashing their lights like assholes. I was going to cry.

On Sunday, at about the same time of night as Bachar's accident, we saw two accidents- relatively minor but it always spooks me.

I'm much more gripped on the road than on the rock... and that's saying something.

dtew

Aug 18, 2006, 1:11 AM
Post #5 of 10 (2896 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Like many folks in the business, John does not have medical insurance.

Not to detract from the main news, but why don't "many folks in the business... have medical insurance"? Is it because insurers refuse to cover you if they know you are a climber?

(This is a question arising from complete ignorance of the subject, since I don't have medical insurance right now. I do recall from my college days that the university group plan specifically refused to cover off-road motorcycling, which I remembered since I mountain biked.)

darkside

Aug 18, 2006, 2:42 AM
Post #6 of 10 (2896 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know these people beyond recognizing names but hearing tragic news like this is never easy. Especially after having just been in an accident myself that could have been so much worse. My condolences go out to Steves family and wishes for speedy recoveries to John and Anastasia.

chossmonkey

Aug 18, 2006, 6:50 AM
Post #7 of 10 (2896 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What terrible news!

Having been badly injured and without insurance I know first hand about how something like this can wreck you financially in a heartbeat. Hopefully the auto insurance will cover a good portion.

I also have been learning about having a loved one severely injured and holding their hand, walking along the slow scary world to recovery. The outpouring of support from the climbing community has been tremendous. I hope that they get as much or more.

My heart goes out to them and their families.

shanz

Aug 18, 2006, 7:02 AM
Post #8 of 10 (2896 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Our prayers go out

crankyclimber

Aug 18, 2006, 8:11 AM
Post #9 of 10 (2896 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Insurers will cover you no matter what your avocation. They are concerned with whether or not you are healthy. If people don't have health insurance it is usually because they deem it too expensive. It is $$$ but I'd rather pay $200 monthly than owe $50K+ for surgery should there be an accident. Please, if you don't have health insurance, get some. Major medical is less expensive and will keep you out of bankruptcy. Typically, most people don't carry a lot of medical coverage on their auto policies.

Bachar was soloing above me a few months ago in Owens. I was surprised to see someone above me. I hope we are both fortunate enough to have the experience again.

Partner j_ung

Aug 18, 2006, 8:27 AM
Post #10 of 10 (2896 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've only had cursory contact with both John and Anastasia, and never with Steve, but goddammit, this sucks. I'm broke as a wharf rat, but I'll send what I can to John's fund immediately. Get better guys. I'm so sorry.

Forums : Archive : World Climbing News

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook