RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Partner drector

Sep 4, 2002, 12:42 AM
Post #1 of 22 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Buy a book
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Am I the only person around who has a collection of climbing books? Books like "On Rope" have an incredible amount of information on rope work. "Self Rescue" has lots of info about passing knots and haul systems, etc.... John Long presents big walls like no other. And the list could go on.

It just seems like all of the questions asked here could be answered with "go get the book." I'm all for answering the questions and I love the forums. I'm just wondering why more books aren't cited when a question is answered. Are the newer climbers missing out on some useful resources because no one tells them that there is a book on the subject, whatever they are asking?

So to any newcomers reading this, you can get all of your basic questions answered as well as most of your advanced questions if you look for a climbing book on the subject. And there are pictures too

Dave

jeffreyrlarson

Sep 4, 2002, 1:21 AM
Post #2 of 22 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Buy a book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Even as a beginner I in fact do have 2 books at home and actually read them daily but some times it is actually nice to get advice on ascendin from some one else rather than a black and white photo... Sometimes people, athletes, climbers should take a step back and remember you were once a lost beginner too...

freeballn

Sep 4, 2002, 1:40 AM
Post #3 of 22 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Buy a book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For those who may be left wondering I am pretty sure the acronym MFOTH is a reference to the great book Mountaineering, The Freedom of the Hills. It is loaded with info on everything from preferred clothing materials to complex climbing and rope techniques to how mountain features are geographically described. I highly recommend it as well.

needtolearnhowtoclimb

Sep 4, 2002, 1:43 AM
Post #4 of 22 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Buy a book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i Have one climbing book. Its called "how to rockclimb". It is pretty helpfull, and it has some really neat pictures in it.

Joshua "the savior"

geezergecko

Sep 4, 2002, 3:42 AM
Post #5 of 22 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Buy a book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Books are great. I have over 30 of them on climbing. John Long's books are particularly good. Even the Petzl catalog which is free has very useful info. Yet every now and then I pick up a tip here at RC.com that I can't find in any of the books I have. Many sources make an enlightened climber.

waxtadpole

Sep 4, 2002, 5:29 AM
Post #6 of 22 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Buy a book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My Sister just had a kid and her hubby was pissed because he had to move is library on outdoor sports (and i do mean library) out of the room for a nursery. Now you cant walk in the back room of the house.

foograbbinstone

Sep 4, 2002, 6:24 AM
Post #7 of 22 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Buy a book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

M'FOTH is a very good, informative book!!
I just let my friend, who's new to climbing borrow my copy yesterday. Just looking thru some of the photo's had him in awe.
For someone new to climbing I'ld say a must have ! run to amazon you might even save a few bucks

Mike

likethegoddess

Sep 4, 2002, 8:29 AM
Post #8 of 22 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Buy a book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I love the idea of citing books for further in formation. I have a hunch that there's not very much of it because many people also got their information on a forum or by personal interaction.

I'd say I've gotten a lot of information online and not just in forums. (I do search for previous posts to my question before posting.) Now, that I think of it I've read a lot of good articles and seen tons of good video online.

I'll say this for myself. Starting out my questions are very specific. What's the difference between the different types of climbing? What's the difference between board lasted and slip lasted? What should I look for in a crash pad? These questions, their answers and my continuing experience climbing lead me to other bigger questions and a desire for wider knowledge of my particular interest in climbing. I'm actually to the point where buying climbing books looks good to me. "Better Bouldering" is one my list. I'm waiting till I finish the books on my plate already though.

Yes, I do expect that I can get some *basic* answers on a website. For more complex answers, I'll probably find them elsewhere.

Partner drector

Sep 4, 2002, 4:37 PM
Post #9 of 22 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Buy a book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jeffreyrlarson,

My post was not intended as a condemnation of beginners asking questions. When I began rock climbing a very short time ago, I bought a book to see what I was in for. It was John Longs "beginner" book, whatever it's called (Rock Climbing?) I then bought MFOTH (Mountaineering, Freedom of the Hills) because I wanted to get a broader understanding. I now own about 15 to 20 books including On Rope, Advanced Rock Climbing, Self Rescue, etc... Self Rescue was well worth the money although I haven't had to haul a partner yet.

I posted because I was interested in discovering if others also use books and how much. I also wanted to let any newcomers reading these posts to know that all of the questions I have seen could be answered better by a book on the subject. Of course there is no book ont he Tibloc but rec.climbinbg has plenty of arguing on that subject. I asked a question once and then it turned out that the info I wanted was in a book I already had. I was happy to be pointed to it.

I try not to post opinions on gear or techniques unless I've read about them, seen them in use, or used them myself. I think that reading the climbing books and trying the techniques and equipment in a safe environment (garage wall or on top rope) is the next best thing to taking a class. Actually, I think it is the only way to learn things without a qualified instructor.

I fully endorse taking a beginning class because an instructor can confirm that you are doing thing right. A book cannot. A website cannot either.

And like I said, I don't mind the questions and I love the forums.

Dave

[ This Message was edited by: drector on 2002-09-04 09:44 ]

Partner drector

Sep 4, 2002, 4:48 PM
Post #10 of 22 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Buy a book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

likethegoddess,

Just a note that R&I has a gear book that answers questions about shoe construction and other similar topics. Nothing on technique but lots of info about how gear is made and tested.

It is also the only reference I can find to a test conducted by REI on the strength of dropped carabiners which is a beat-to-death topic (the topic, not the people).

data118

Sep 4, 2002, 5:00 PM
Post #11 of 22 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Buy a book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just bought Rock & Ice Gear: Equipment for the Vertical World and a Gunks book. The gear book is a must have! Plan to buy more; they are a very good supplement along with professional instructions. That's all I have now. Whatever I don't have, I read at my favorite Barnes&Noble store.

chuckd278

Sep 4, 2002, 5:42 PM
Post #12 of 22 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Buy a book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with reading books. It shows that you have the drive to learn more about climbing. One area that I dis-agree is when someone thinks they are doing something right from reading a book and in fact they are doing it wrong. Sometimes a trick of the trade question may keep someone from getting hurt. Just my thoughts.

Chuck

thrillseeker05

Sep 4, 2002, 5:42 PM
Post #13 of 22 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Buy a book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have read and own every book mentioned in this thread and yet I still ask stupid questions and learn from the people around me. You see it is a desire, or hunger if you will, for MORE information..
So, the only lazy dweebs are the ones that are so pathetic they cannot answer a question or waste their time criticizing others for asking questions..

rollingstone

Sep 4, 2002, 6:18 PM
Post #14 of 22 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Buy a book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dave: You are alone! I too have a collection, but if you check my reply to fishypete's question on climbing books in the genral forum, I will reiterate again: Books are great, but once the addiction starts, it's hard to turn back!!

I endorse both methods: books and these forums. Some folks are not too old-school or live where many of these titles are not available too readily, or they just do not know how much info is out there; or they are just so used to clicking online, they are accustomed to having the information at their fingertips that way.

Either way works, don't you think?

jt512

Sep 4, 2002, 7:52 PM
Post #15 of 22 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Buy a book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:Either way works, don't you think?

No.

Beginning climbers need a base of technical knowledge that cannot be acquired by asking haphazard questions over the Internet. This knowledge must be acquired systematically from sources like books, classes, and mentors. The Internet is a good place to fill in the gaps, but not to learn the basics.

-Jay

[ This Message was edited by: jt512 on 2002-09-04 18:49 ]

timpanogos

Sep 4, 2002, 8:39 PM
Post #16 of 22 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Buy a book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have several climbing books - most I found recommended from these threads - however I did have MFOTH before I started Technical climbing - got it for Ice Ax/crampon mountaineering - it covers a lot of ground.

I have found the books “MFOTH", “Climbing Anchors", "Advanced Climbing Anchors” and “Self-Rescue” to be my bibles on trad – got to haves – various books on technique have also proven helpful – we shall see how – “How to Climb 5.12” works this winter (in my case, “How to Climb 5.10s”).

likethegoddess

Sep 4, 2002, 9:06 PM
Post #17 of 22 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Buy a book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drector - Thanks for the book tip. I'm a boulderer, so I'm interested in shoes and crash pads. At least for the moment. I'll check it out.

jt512 - I should clarify. I'm a boulderer and I'm used to posting in bouldering forums, so I was not addressing the full complexities of safety and gear knowledge that a sport or trad climber may need just to get started. I agree that a variety of sources should be used when gaining information. But I don't poo poo the Internet either. It's more of a challenge to get to the good than a book store.

Immediacy is where the Internet performs better than a book. Books can't respond back, though well-written books may appear to. Learning from a mentor would be my ideal. That would be the ultimate in immediacy.

Partner drector

Sep 4, 2002, 9:13 PM
Post #18 of 22 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Buy a book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rollingstone

You'll have to explain to me what I am alone at. Here were my questions:

"Am I the only person around who has a collection of climbing books?"

"Are the newer climbers missing out on some useful resources because no one tells them that there is a book on the subject, whatever they are asking?"

So I'm not sure if you mean I am alone in reading climbing books or if I am alone in thinking they should be mentioned more often to newcomers. The responses here indicate that at least a few people think that the books are a good source of information and I state now that they are better than a forum because they are more dependable. The book is less likely to be a lie or a joke or a biased opinion from someone who knows nothing about climbing.

Jay has it right when he mentions "haphazard questions." A book will tell you things beyond your questions.

The forum is better used for asking specific questions about issues that are not clear after a basic understanding has been gained by other means. Of course if a person starts with no other means then the forum is also great for getting direction to the sources of information.

BTW, I tried to explain traditional lead climbing to my wifes friend, After 20 minutes, I finally got a bunch of gear and showed her. She just didn't understand my verbal descriptions even with a lot of hand-waving. She understood perfectly once I had a rope, a stopper, and a carabiner to show her a "picture" of how it worked.

thrillseeker05

Sep 4, 2002, 9:31 PM
Post #19 of 22 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Buy a book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you should use any and all means to gather information on the things that you are passionate about. Since, ignorance will leave you speaking like this

I guess you rode the short bus to school, eh? oozingpustule

soloclimber

Sep 5, 2002, 4:00 AM
Post #20 of 22 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Buy a book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a collection of climbing books that would drive you batty.My favorite is Aleister Crowleys autobiography.{yes that evil,devil worshipper}.He was so far ahead of his time.He was co-leader of the first serious attempt on K2.

jgill

Sep 6, 2002, 3:02 AM
Post #21 of 22 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Buy a book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

These forums are a great complement to climbing books. Books and proper instruction convey valuable technical information, but forums demonstrate the great diversity of thought on contentious issues, like bolting. You get the feeling that we are a huge complex community that is passionate in its fervor for our sport. And that's great!

mike

Sep 8, 2002, 12:39 PM
Post #22 of 22 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Buy a book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't be without MFOTH. My edition is ancient, but still good comparing it to the new edition. "Climbing, from Gym to Crag" is a good beginners book. I'v never even been in a gym, but the text, photos, and illustrations are more comprehensible to me than the Long books.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook