RSS FeedRSS Feeds for World Climbing News

Premier Sponsor:

socialclimber

Aug 25, 2006, 6:11 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1908 views)
Shortcut

21 Airlifted Off Mont Blanc
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Monstersandcritics.com
reports more drama on Mont Blanc with a large sale rescue of 21 climbers caught by a storm at 4200m.

luca_signorelli

Aug 28, 2006, 5:09 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1908 views)
Shortcut

Re: 21 Airlifted Off Mont Blanc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The storm was not "sudden" at all - there was a very clear meteo warning, with a forecast of violent thurderstorms and snow down to 2600m for the early afternoon - a better evolution was just expected for mid-Friday.

Thursday I was on the Italian side on a stroll up the trail to the Monzino hut, and I took a sequence of pictures (which I think I'll post on SummitPost) of the storm coming in classic fashion through the col de la Seigne, with very strong SW winds (always a bad sign here). At 14:40 you see clouds massing on the west, and at 15:20 the entire sector was engulfed by the clouds, with violent rain and no poor visibility down to 2000m. The weather had been usettled since the day before - I don't really know who gave those 21 people the idea they could attempt MB in such poor conditions!!

pebbleman

Sep 8, 2006, 8:45 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1908 views)
Shortcut

Re: 21 Airlifted Off Mont Blanc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Monte Bianco can be a bad girl. North Atlantic storms make for some pretty wild weather but some pretty cool climbing. I love the place but you could die there pretty easily.

Forums : Archive : World Climbing News

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook