RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

nurower

Sep 5, 2002, 3:43 PM
Post #1 of 10 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Glucosamine
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The "Tennis Elbow" thread mentioned glucosamine as a remedy for tennis elbow/tendonitis. Has anyone else had experience with this? What form do you take it (there's about two dozen products out there, from pills to liquids)? Any side effects? Also, can anyone recommend a good forearm strap to climb with, or does any old forearm strap do?

acrophobic

Sep 5, 2002, 5:21 PM
Post #2 of 10 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Glucosamine [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Glucosamine Sulfate help tighten tendons and help tendon damage recover faster.. I have taken it for bad knees and eblow and it really does help.. although it isn't target specific... some people might get tendons in their jaw tightening up as well as a side effect and such..although I havn't had any problem.

I would reccomend it.. just take the reccomended dosage and don't overdo it and be patient.. it takes a few weeks of regual intake for it to start making a difference.

"Numerous published studies document glucosamine's ability to function as a chondroprotective agent. Glucosamine provides the raw material needed for chondrocytes to regenerate cartilage."

do a google on "Glucosamine Sulfate" and you'll get a lot of info on it.

acrophobic

Sep 5, 2002, 5:26 PM
Post #3 of 10 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

here's a good site:

http://www.jointhealing.com/pages/productpages/glucosamine.html

katydid

Sep 5, 2002, 6:50 PM
Post #4 of 10 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tried MSM+Glucosamine after a friend of mine recommended it to me. It upset my stomach so badly that I couldn't try it long enough to see if it actually did anything. Didn't matter whether I took it with or without food.

Just something you might want to be aware of. Apparently some people's tummies just can't tolerate it.

Kate

charrock

Sep 5, 2002, 7:02 PM
Post #5 of 10 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Glucosamine is for cartilage repair. My wife is a hand therapist and says there is nothing totally effective for tendonitis except rest. Ultrasound with some topical pain /swelling ointment helps. What the ointment is I don't know but you need a therapist to apply it. Even with rest, tendonitis can rear its ugly head. Rest and ice is the best that there is out there. Gluc. also messes with my stomach. I think it's the sulfates that are in the pills that bother me. Later Charlie

jt512

Sep 5, 2002, 8:56 PM
Post #6 of 10 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are numerous clinical trials showing that glucosamine is helpful in the repair of damaged joint cartilage. I have not been able to find any research on glucosamine and tendons or ligaments. However, glucosamine does have anti-inflammatory effects, so it may help.

-Jay

pbjosh

Sep 5, 2002, 9:08 PM
Post #7 of 10 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With no claims of scientific accuracy or any accurately recorded data I can report that many many runners take the "runner's coctail" of anywhere from 2-4 of Glucosamine, MSM, Chondritin and Silica.

I have several friends that take G/M/C and two that take G/C/S and all seem to think it make a large difference in their knees, ankles and other parts of their body to withstand the brutal punishment of running (for a couple of them) upwards of 100 miles or so a week.

josh

acrophobic

Sep 6, 2002, 2:21 PM
Post #8 of 10 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well what can I say, it helps me! i can see the results, i don't need a study

it certainly wont hurt.. try taking some and if you don't have any side effects try it out. It not for everyone, some people just don't agree with it.

maiorlive

Sep 6, 2002, 2:41 PM
Post #9 of 10 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Forearm strap? Sounds like you are enjoying the same tendonitis I did last spring. Six sessions of some sort of deep tissue massage at the physiotherapist took care of it. That and regular stretching. My physio's theory was that recurring chronic tendonitis is due to scar tissue forming in the sheath, which doesn't sound to me like it would respond to treatment by pill or supplement.

W

gunked

Sep 17, 2002, 6:32 AM
Post #10 of 10 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just so happens I work for a small company called Joint Juice out of SF, CA. Regardless, here's the skinny on Glucosamine.

-Glucosamine affects only the cartilege.
-Glucosamine is a charged sugar molecule that gets into your cartilege and assists it in becoming a better shock absorber for your joints. It, basically, rehydrates your cartilege.
-It works for about 80% of the population.
-Chondroitin has been shown to be virtually useless as it's bioavailability is less than 6%. Chondroitan is basically a more complex molecule that is, therefore, more difficult to break down. It has been shown to turn itself into Glucosamine within the body after breakdown.
-The recommended daily dose is 1500mg of glucosamine.
-It has to be taken every day to be effective.
-It takes about 4-6 weeks of regular use to start noticing results. I tell people that if they don't notice results after 6 weeks, then they're wasting their $.
-Although a couple of studies have shown glucosamine to repair cartilege, I don't believe this to be proven yet.
-Glucosamine sulfate and HCL are both proven to be effective.
-There are no contraindications for glucosamine.

Having tendonitis and being a glucosamine user, I can't imagine that it would be useful for your tendonitis. Sorry !

Hope this helped! If anybody wants more info on the subject, email me and I'll be happy to help you out.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook