Forums: Climbing Information: General:
FYI: fallen hiker/climber in Eldo (Lance Hering)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

veganboyjosh

Sep 7, 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #51 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Re: FYI: fallen hiker/climber in Eldo (Lance Hering) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

while i can certainly understand a person's unwillingness to go back to a warzone--for a multitude of reasons, but let's keep the politics out of this thread--for as long as possible, anyway-- and i can maybe understand how youth and naivete would blind such a person into thinking faking this would makeit easy to dissappear, i'm thinking/hoping that neither of the two guys considered the consequences of reporting this as a fallen/missing climber.
i think back to when i was that old, and a lot of my decisions were made not taking things into consideration the way i could/should have. for better or worse, i had to deal with those decisions, just like these two will.
i would certinly hope that anyone considering dissappearing would now think twice about what all search and rescue circumstances will arise as a result of them faking a fall, or whatever.

kricir

Sep 7, 2006, 11:57 PM
Post #52 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The first thing I thought to myself when I heard this story was, right, the dude is probably in Mexico right now. Any one who’s spent some time in Eldo knows how constricting the area is, and how unlikely it would be for an injured man to escape unnoticed. A guy with a head wound is not going to climb up and out of the area; he is going to be pulled down hill to the parking lot. If the story had been true, they would of found him quickly. I must admit that my immediate skepticism was due in part to a recent episode in which my friend also wanted out of the marines.

http://www.reporterherald.com/Top-Story.asp?ID=5904

72 hours after Ace’s standoff, he was back home. He is now out of the marines on a general discharge. In my opinion, what Ace did was worse than what Lance or his friend did, but so far Lance’s friend is getting to worst of it. Before judging anyone, think to your self, would you have done any better? Would you of gone back for another deployment in hell rather than risk a slap on the wrist and maybe a little jail time? I’m not saying that what Lance (or Ace) did wasn’t bad, but who are you to judge them? People should stop being angry for no reason. If you went looking for Lance then that should say something about the goodness in you, don’t spoil it by wanting revenge.

And to all those slinging insults from out of state, who have no idea about what’s really going on, who got their information from the media and this site, shut the hell up. I’m not saying I know what’s going on, but I know from experience how misleading reports on such events can be, trust me.

rockscars

Sep 8, 2006, 12:44 AM
Post #53 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edited for space-case mistake 8^)-~

kricir

Sep 8, 2006, 12:55 AM
Post #54 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Two people died? Is that for real?!? :oops:

rockscars

Sep 8, 2006, 1:15 AM
Post #55 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Read about the wreck on page one of this thread. It was a car accident on the way there. Fate is a screwed up deal, but it was a result of going out to search. Consequences are ALWAYS greater than what we think they might be.

usmc3073

Sep 8, 2006, 1:20 AM
Post #56 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In the Marine Corps it is called U/A or Unauthorized Absence. AWOL is an Army term. It is a good thing the Marine is alive, a bad thing that so many were misled. Be wary before making judgments about his motives. Being a Marine is tough by itself, combat is an unspeakable horror most people have no concept of. His friend is a moron and should be prosecuted as well as the Marine once he is caught.

Semper Fi,

A Former Marine

rockscars

Sep 8, 2006, 1:33 AM
Post #57 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In the Marine Corps it is called U/A or Unauthorized Absence. AWOL is an Army term. It is a good thing the Marine is alive, a bad thing that so many were misled. Be wary before making judgments about his motives. Being a Marine is tough by itself, combat is an unspeakable horror most people have no concept of. His friend is a moron and should be prosecuted as well as the Marine once he is caught.

Semper Fi,

A Former Marine

Thanks for the correction on AWOL v. U/A. Gold goes to you for :"Being a Marine is tough by itself, combat is an unspeakable horror most people have no concept of."

djoseph

Sep 8, 2006, 2:48 AM
Post #58 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Edit: I believe that in the above posts, rockscars is confusing a 2004 Joshua Tree SAR incident, in which two SAR personnel died in a car accident. There were no SAR personnel lost in this search, as far as I know.

Dan

sausalito

Sep 8, 2006, 3:07 AM
Post #59 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sad shit any way you slice it. Sad for pretty much everyone. I will say that is one good f*cking friend to even stick with the story this long.

To all those that searched for him I will say that I think its better to be wrong for all the right reasons than to be right for all the wrong reasons. So searching for a missing/injured person is exactly what you were doing. Perception is reality ya know? To you he was injured and needing help. The fact that he wasnt doesnt really change any of that.

I will say it again because its worth saying. That is one good friend. He is going to take probably more heat then the kid because he saw how big this thing got and still kept his mouth shut in plenty of time for the guy to bolt. I will never fault someone for being too good of a friend.

timstich

Sep 8, 2006, 4:25 AM
Post #60 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm certainly not sorry I helped out with the search and would do it again. Hell, I'd be happy if everyone I went out to search for was playing an April Fools trick. It's a lot nicer than doing a goddamned body recovery, I can tell you that much.

Good luck Lance. Hope you don't get raked over the coals too badly.

anykineclimb

Sep 8, 2006, 5:11 AM
Post #61 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fucking coward.

makes me sick

majid_sabet

Sep 8, 2006, 5:54 AM
Post #62 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Time to start washing dishes PENDEJO

The Boulder County Sheriff's office may seek restitution for the manpower used in the search for a missing marine that turned out to be an elaborate scheme.

Lance Hering, 21, disappeared on Aug. 30 while hiking with his friend Steve Powers, 20. Powers told officials Hering fell and hit his head and when he went to get help, Hering disappeared.

The 5-day search cost thousands of dollars and the sheriff's office said they would tabulate the overall cost for the search in the rugged Eldorado Canyon.

hare

Sep 8, 2006, 7:56 AM
Post #63 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't really seek restitution for the 7000+ volunteer hours put into this search. That's just lost time that hopefully won't take away rescuers ability to respond to the next person that actually needs a rescue. These are mostly people that have to take vacation time to respond to this stuff with no compensation and often little appreciation for their efforts.

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Sep 8, 2006, 2:30 PM
Post #64 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Can't really seek restitution for the 7000+ volunteer hours put into this search. That's just lost time that hopefully won't take away rescuers ability to respond to the next person that actually needs a rescue. These are mostly people that have to take vacation time to respond to this stuff with no compensation and often little appreciation for their efforts.

True, but the $$ specifically put into it by the county is easy to track.

tibetan_wander

Sep 8, 2006, 3:55 PM
Post #65 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I respect and admire all the SAR folks for all they have done. Amazing--and many honors to you.

There's no words I have for the parents and family of Lance. My prayers are with you.

Steve Powers, what a great friend you are. We all have good traits and bad traits, and you're clearly no saint--but this loyalty blows me away.

To all the people criticizing Lance for lying to get out of returning to this mess in Iraq: I think he was lied to when he went to Iraq. I think that's the bigger lie, with the greatest and most grave losses for all involved.

Peace to all.

erisspirit

Sep 8, 2006, 5:24 PM
Post #66 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
To all the people criticizing Lance for lying to get out of returning to this mess in Iraq: I think he was lied to when he went to Iraq. I think that's the bigger lie, with the greatest and most grave losses for all involved.

Peace to all.

While there may be truth to that, I think it's incredibly selfish to put your parents and loved ones through the torment of thinking you might be lost/ dead in the wilderness, as well as wasting the time of good hearted volunteers . I have many friends who have served in Iraq multiple times. One was shot all the others have seen gruesome things that they never want to relive. None of these people would ever consider faking their disappearance to get out of the responsibility they accepted.

fmd

Sep 8, 2006, 6:09 PM
Post #67 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Peace to all.

While there may be truth to that, I think it's incredibly selfish to put your parents and loved ones through the torment of thinking you might be lost/ dead in the wilderness, as well as wasting the time of good hearted volunteers . I have many friends who have served in Iraq multiple times. One was shot all the others have seen gruesome things that they never want to relive. None of these people would ever consider faking their disappearance to get out of the responsibility they accepted.

I am sure that some of Lances friends said the same about him.

fmd

Sep 8, 2006, 6:12 PM
Post #68 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
f---ing coward.

makes me sick

You ever been in combat. Ever see your friends get thier leg blown off? If not....STFU

njbourne

Sep 8, 2006, 6:14 PM
Post #69 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Everyone seems to be sharing their opinion based on the assumption that the Marine in question perpetrated this lie because he is a coward or that he can no longer, in good conscience, participate in the Iraq conflict.

I has been my experience, as a former Marine and someone who worked with our servicemen and women in Iraq and now here in Africa, that it is just as likely that his motivation is something as simple as his girlfriend left him or has threatened to leave him. Another possible motivation is that he is not good at the job he has been assigned in the Marine Corps. I'm sure all Marines reading this post will join me in saying that unless you have experienced it, you will never know the immense pressure Marines place on each other and themselves when it comes to job performance. Often a Marine who does not perform adequately at work is ostracized both at work and outside of work. This isolation can lead to low self esteem, instances of unauthorized absence and in extreme cases suicide.

Everyone who participated in this search represents the highest ideals of service. The same ideals that have led many to serve the country. I hope this experience will not dissuade anyone from future volunteer work.

krusher4

Sep 8, 2006, 6:27 PM
Post #70 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I spent one day in the rain looking for what I thought would be a dead body. I would like to hear Lance say sorry to everyone that looked for him. I wonder if his GF knew, she was in my search party and at times seemed really pyched about routes and boulders which I thought was odd.

dingus

Sep 8, 2006, 6:41 PM
Post #71 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Everyone seems to be sharing their opinion based on the assumption that the Marine in question perpetrated this lie because he is a coward or that he can no longer, in good conscience, participate in the Iraq conflict.

Not everyone bro. It isn't for civilians to judge this man (outside the SAR thing itself) AT ALL. They have no bearing on the subject, nor do the possible reasons the Marine had for trying this.

AWOL is AWOL and there is no two ways about it, esp. in a time of conflict. Excuses are irrelevant.

It is a military matter, start to finish.

But the 'coward' labelers, well, lets just say I share fmd's distaste for their opinions.

DMT

njbourne

Sep 8, 2006, 6:46 PM
Post #72 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Please don't think I was making excuses for this guy.

krusher4

Sep 8, 2006, 6:48 PM
Post #73 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Could he be considered a deserter during time a war? With the penalty being death?

climbrc

Sep 8, 2006, 6:51 PM
Post #74 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"West said Thursday that detectives had yet to verify much of what Powers told them...... calling Powers "a very polished liar."

Maybe there is no Lance.. Hmmmm..or perhaps Powers has it out for him and Lance is really off backpacking somewhere, picking daisies..

dingus

Sep 8, 2006, 7:06 PM
Post #75 of 126 (20061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Please don't think I was making excuses for this guy.

Didn't think you were dude. Just pointing out that in the military excuses are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink, haha.

DMT

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook