Forums: Climbing Information: General:
FYI: fallen hiker/climber in Eldo (Lance Hering)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

dingus

Sep 8, 2006, 7:10 PM
Post #76 of 126 (19540 views)
Shortcut

Re: FYI: fallen hiker/climber in Eldo (Lance Hering) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Could he be considered a deserter during time a war? With the penalty being death?

No, desertion is specifically fleeing combat I think.

He is presumably AWOL... absent without leave. Punishment can vary depending upon circumstances.

Faking an injury to avoid service in a time of war is subject to dishonorable discharge and 10 years in a miltary brig, Ft Levenworth most likely, hard time.

UCMJ is easily googled.

DMT

wvsupernoob

Sep 8, 2006, 7:10 PM
Post #77 of 126 (19540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe there is no Lance.. Hmmmm..or perhaps Powers has it out for him and Lance is really off backpacking somewhere, picking daisies..

Dude, that would make powers... a MASTERMIND! Off Hering somewhere, and fake a fake accident, play the double role of hiking bud, then extreme friend, but all the while he's just eaten him like Alferd Packer. Omg the intrigue!

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Sep 8, 2006, 7:50 PM
Post #78 of 126 (19540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And they've now issued a felony arrest warrant:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/.../9811000/detail.html

Note Hering's slightly colorful past arrest record...

usmc3073

Sep 8, 2006, 8:28 PM
Post #79 of 126 (19540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If he deserted in a combat zone he could be killed. Since he is U/A they will catch him and I guarantee you that whatever slap on the wrist he gets in the civillian world will pale in comparison as to what is going to happen to him once the Marines get a hold of him. Besides the fact that he will be totally shunned by every Marine, he will do hard time in the brig, and I do mean hard. He will not be sitting in some cell watching cable TV. Most likely he will be on a chain gang doing labor or doing meaningless physical tasks ie. Coolhand Luke. After that he gets to enjoy a dishonorable discharge which carries harsh lifetime penalities with it.

timstich

Sep 8, 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #80 of 126 (19540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All Lance has to do is show up at Camp Pendleton on Sept. 11 and he will avoid the whole AWOL charge. He would be pretty stupid not to just do that and figure out how to avoid deployment some other way. The cat is out of the bag, dude. Give it up.

majid_sabet

Sep 9, 2006, 12:24 AM
Post #81 of 126 (19540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What do I have for you guys today, let see
--------------------------------------------------------------

Steven Powers, 20, was arrested at the Boulder County justice center after he had been brought in for an interview with authorities. Investigators were looking into discrepancies and inconsistencies in his story.

Powers reported to police on August 29th that Hering, 21, had fallen during a climbing accident in Eldorado Canyon and had a head injury. Powers says once Hering regained consciousness he left the injured Marine and went for help. However, when Powers returned with rescue teams, Hering had disappeared.

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=89253f6b-0abe-421a-0016-e5d5c48d21b0&TEMPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf

Partner dominic7

Sep 9, 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #82 of 126 (19540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
... he will be totally shunned by every Marine, ...

Indeed we must all shun the non-believer!

thegreytradster

Sep 9, 2006, 1:13 AM
Post #83 of 126 (19540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
... he will be totally shunned by every Marine, ...

Indeed we must all shun the non-believer!

Yep! talking unicorns are about your speed.

wvsupernoob

Sep 9, 2006, 3:22 AM
Post #84 of 126 (19540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
All Lance has to do is show up at Camp Pendleton on Sept. 11 and he will avoid the whole AWOL charge. He would be pretty stupid not to just do that and figure out how to avoid deployment some other way. The cat is out of the bag, dude. Give it up.

Yep, he walks into the base, and he avoids the brig and the UA charge.

He also avoids Iraq, because the Marines are going to turn him over to Boulder County for the felony arrest warrant for breaking probation.

They're going to discharge him anyway, because they weren't supposed to accept him in the first place with that criminal record.

I wonder how far away he really is by now?

teddyp324

Sep 9, 2006, 4:06 AM
Post #85 of 126 (19540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The entire SAR cost over $750,000 including the helicopter and over 7000 man hours by pro SAR. They are apparently giving the bill to the partner, to bad for him... he's also facing fraud charges and I was told 25yrs in jail for one of them, can't remember which one.

-Ted

timstich

Sep 9, 2006, 6:57 AM
Post #86 of 126 (19540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The entire SAR cost over $750,000 including the helicopter and over 7000 man hours by pro SAR. They are apparently giving the bill to the partner, to bad for him... he's also facing fraud charges and I was told 25yrs in jail for one of them, can't remember which one.

-Ted

The false police report does not carry a 25 year penalty, since it is only a misdomeanor. You are thinking of the AWOL penalty, which could still be avoided if Lance shows up where he is supposed to. As for the bill, I am happy to pay the taxes for that. I personally spent $12 in gas driving to the searches! Lordy. I'm just glad it's over.

anykineclimb

Sep 9, 2006, 2:15 PM
Post #87 of 126 (19540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
f---ing coward.

makes me sick

You ever been in combat. Ever see your friends get thier leg blown off? If not....STFU

Well, in fact...

Partner alexmac

Sep 9, 2006, 3:59 PM
Post #88 of 126 (19540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
f---ing coward.

makes me sick

You ever been in combat. Ever see your friends get thier leg blown off? If not....STFU

Well, in fact...

Hmm, just because someone calls the dude a coward does not automatically mean they did not seen combat. As for this person using the resouces of SAR to go AWOL; frankly the punishments are not enough and anyone issusing a false report should get the full bill; as for AWOL or not, its still cowardance and the worst of all crimes to put SAR to work to cover up. It would have been better if he just went to some big city and hid in plain sight

fmd

Sep 9, 2006, 9:10 PM
Post #89 of 126 (19540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm, just because someone calls the dude a coward does not automatically mean they did not seen combat. As for this person using the resouces of SAR to go AWOL; frankly the punishments are not enough and anyone issusing a false report should get the full bill; as for AWOL or not, its still cowardance and the worst of all crimes to put SAR to work to cover up. It would have been better if he just went to some big city and hid in plain sight
What I mean by my statement is that no one should judge this guy here. We don't really know him to judge him. Of course, what he did is wrong. He will be judged by the appropriate authorities when the time comes. The presumption is that he went AWOL to keep going back to the Middle East. But if someone is going to call him a coward, maybe one should try to understand what he had went through over in a war zone. Sorry, but Paramount pictures does not really portray the horrors of war very well.

Not sure of your comment though of "the punishments are not enough" for we dont know what consequences he is going to face.

mitguy

Sep 9, 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #90 of 126 (19540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd say it takes a certain amount of courage to hack up and then follow through with a plan that involves becoming a fugative from the US military. If you were being dragged off to hell, would it be more couragous to fight for your life to escape it, or to meekly go and fight the demons when you are there? Seems to me it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other. It also seems to me that despite everyone being upset they were dupped, as far as escape plans go, this one was pretty clever. He kept everyone busy with their eyes down for several days, giving him time to escape. Perhaps it would have been more responsible for him to take a road trip to Montana and never come back, but then again it lacks a certain flair...maybe what he was doing was trying to find a way to run away with honor (now I know that's gonna raise some contention...not really interested). If he creates an escape, he's like the hero in his own movie. There's an element of danger, the chance that he'll get caught, and the hubris of tricking the authorities. It's like Captain Rameus' escape in Hunt for Red October. Defectors are all cowards from one side, and heros from the other, it just depends upon your point of view. There were many draft dodgers in the Vietnam War, and it seems to me the responses were similarly mixed and polarized.

And now back to Alpinist 17, which just came in the mail :D

Partner alexmac

Sep 10, 2006, 3:53 AM
Post #91 of 126 (19541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think folks miss my point, when I refer to punishment I refer to him using the "accident" as a cover. What the military does to him is not my concern; but the use of "accident" and the resouces.

Can you imagine some time later when their SAR budget is nearly empty and say a little girl goes missing and cause of this clown, less then 110% of the resources can go into searching and helping (fictional in this case , used to make a point). Also, I wonder if someone in that area had a accident and could have been airlifted to hospital and had to suffer longer cause they could not to get the hospital cause the chopper was out looking for this person.

Never mind what the courts will do to him, never mind what the military will do to him; I suspect karma will get him much worse later in life. Lets hope he's a smoker and his medical insurance runs out.

shanz

Sep 10, 2006, 4:13 AM
Post #92 of 126 (19541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Was bored at work and did some investigating on AWOL in this country. Since the war in Iraq there are (roughly) some 6000 soldiers currently AWOL in the country. Many are reservists and many more are simply soldiers opposed to the war. As many of them have said its a war for oil not for terrorism. I don't agree or disagree with this I'm merely showing what i have found. They one thing that repetitively has been said was that they raided homes of Iraqis with no provocation or suspicion of insurgents being in the homes. I also found numerous soldiers whose time was served in the military and were due to be discharged honorably then the "stop-loss policy clause was instituted and their enlistment contract was null and void. They were forced to serve additional tours of duty. From what i have gathered this stop loss policy was instituted due to declining numbers of active and non active duty military personnel. I did my time in the military and i am glad to have served my country. Though if it was time for me to be discharged and the pulled this crap on my id be F;ing pissed but i would have continued to serve my country. It takes someone willing to make sacrifices to ensure the freedom of the rest of us. Personally i think that this stop-loss policy is a load of crap come up with my some ass-clown politician and i don't get how you can serve your country to protect freedom while being a slave yourself. Lance on the other hand you are not a patriot and could never be considered a climber if you were willing to stage this and put other peoples lives at risk. Whether or not you are convicted you still have to live with yourself and answer to a higher power when this life ends.

Boy that should get the liberals all fired up - go hug a tree and eat tofu ya wankers

majid_sabet

Sep 10, 2006, 6:28 PM
Post #93 of 126 (19541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

-Ted

$750.000 +$ 12 for the other SAR guy's gas , $750.012 worth of bill

$ 7.50 per for washing dishes at local restaurant x 40 hrs per week @ $300

x 52 = @$14.000 per year / $750.000 that will make it to about

60 years of hard work , no I got it Wrong, there will $$ on min wages in the next 60 years so how about 45 years of work !!!!

washing and washing for mighty long time my man

veganboyjosh

Sep 10, 2006, 7:12 PM
Post #94 of 126 (19541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Can you imagine some time later when their SAR budget is nearly empty and say a little girl goes missing and cause of this clown, less then 110% of the resources can go into searching and helping (fictional in this case , used to make a point).

a good point, and one which i think often goes unconsidered.

wvsupernoob

Sep 26, 2006, 4:48 AM
Post #95 of 126 (19541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't know why I'm still following this story, but I have been.

Last week was the big announcement that he was caught on camera buying a bus ticket the same day the search started.

But the latest news is Rambo-funny: (if it is late news, what with the old date)

09/16/06, officers received information that Lance Hering may be avoiding civilization in the Gunnison National Forest near the Spring Creek area. A credible witness advised that they talked with an individual who matches Mr. Hering's description near Mosca Lake. Boulder County was advised and Gunnison County Sheriffs Officers attempted to locate the individual without success.

http://cbs4denver.com/...story_268191015.html

Lance Hering is now BIGFOOT! Where will he be spotted next???

timstich

Sep 26, 2006, 4:54 AM
Post #96 of 126 (19541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also in the Gunnison police news blotter!

"09/23/06, officers located an underage drinking party at a location near County Road 17, Antelope Hills. Seven underage persons were identified but only warnings were extended."

raoulthepoolboy
Deleted

Sep 27, 2006, 5:03 AM
Post #97 of 126 (19541 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by Administrator [In reply to]
Report this Post

timstich

Sep 27, 2006, 5:16 AM
Post #98 of 126 (19541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well that's all really conclusive evidence. :boring:

Please beat your meat in private. No one wants to see that you disgusting little man.

majid_sabet

Oct 9, 2006, 4:20 PM
Post #99 of 126 (19541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BOULDER - Missing Boulder Marine Lance Hering's family has created a Web page in the hope of establishing contact with him.
Hering, 21, was reported missing Aug. 30 by a friend who told authorities that Hering had a climbing accident in Eldorado Springs Canyon State Park. More than a week later, and after an extensive manhunt, investigators learned the accident story was a hoax.

They eventually recovered videotape of Hering at a Denver bus station the same day

krusher4

Oct 9, 2006, 6:30 PM
Post #100 of 126 (19541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard something about Lance not wanting to go back because his unit was convicted of war crimes and he was going to testify against them and was afraid of them??? Any one have anything on this?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook