RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

skybytch

Sep 9, 2006, 3:08 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1995 views)
Shortcut

from breakthru to consistency. . .
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm not a climber, I'm a skydiver. A group of climbers recently learned to skydive at the dropzone I live at. They set up a slackline a few weeks ago and I've gotten hooked. Damn them! :wink:

I can get on the line on my right foot without help. I can balance on my right and left foot and both feet. I can walk forward for 7 or 8 steps and backwards for 5-6 steps. I can bounce the line on my right foot and make it stop.

But! At this point I can only consistently stand on my right foot. Some sessions I feel like a rockstar - walking, bouncing, even trying turns. Other sessions I feel like I'm flailing like I did the first time I got on the line. I'm not even consistent during a session - one time up I'm rockstar, next time up I'm flailer.

How do I get from breakthrough (new "trick") to consistently doing that "trick" every time? Is it just a matter of trying it enough times for the body to learn? Is it a mental thing (ie relaxation, focus)? Could it be a combination of those things? Or could it be something else entirely?

Thanks!

blue skies,
lisa

areyoumydude

Sep 9, 2006, 4:29 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1995 views)
Shortcut

Re: from breakthru to consistency. . . [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is it just a matter of trying it enough times for the body to learn? Is it a mental thing (ie relaxation, focus)? Could it be a combination of those things? Thanks!

blue skies,
lisa

You hit the nail on the head. :) The more you practice the better your body and mind will perform.

Happy slackin',

Larry

greenketch

Sep 9, 2006, 7:35 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From other disciplines here are a few tips that really apply here.

When you are doing a practice session 1) always start with something easy, 2) do the hard stuff in the middle 3) always do something you are good at before you stop. That way you go away with a positive vibe.

Be aware of your headspace, don't do tricky stuff if your head is not in it.

Have Fun

How you play these out is up to you.

chuckster

Sep 21, 2006, 12:15 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Greenketch has got it right my man. Practice is the only way to become in-tune with the way the line moves and how you should move in turn. The best way of trying a new trick is to get in the zone (not the oh shit zone) and focus intensely by not focusing at all. Got that?! Quiet your mind and your body will follow. Now... how's that for some major zen hippie shit!

ammon

Nov 29, 2006, 12:35 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1618 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chuckster] from breakthru to consistency. . . [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Lisa,

How's the dropzone? I miss it there!

I guess we are the climbers you are damning, ha haa haa. Last time I was there I saw that Keith was getting pretty good, and solid on his turns.

Give my love to the sky... it's too cold here to jump.

Cheers, Ammon
http://rocknclimb.com

veganboyjosh

Nov 29, 2006, 3:33 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1602 views)
Shortcut

Re: [greenketch] from breakthru to consistency. . . [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

4)if you've tried a new trick it 5-10 times in a row, and haven't gotten it, or haven't made any progress whatsoever, leave it alone, and go to something else. come back to it later. if you try and try and try and you're not getting it, it means you're learning the trick wrong. the more you do this, the more it'll evade you. there's obviously something you're not doing, or something you're doing wrong. it's time to unlearn that wrong thing.

other than that, keep practicing.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook