Forums: Climbing Partners: US - Mountain States:
Arizona Partners-Ongoing Thread
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Next page Last page  View All

reno

Sep 4, 2006, 5:09 AM
Post #126 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Re: arizona partners ongoing thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Reno's agenda:

Arrive Flag on Thursday, early evening. Find a place to set up base camp, and commence to the beer consumption.

Friday, climb. Friday evening, eat camp food and drink beer. There will be a 8 quart batch of camp chili cooked in the dutch oven over an open fire one of these nights. And if nobody else shows, then I'll eat all 8 quarts by my damn self. Hillary, you know how troublesome this idea can be.

Saturday/Sunday: Repeat as necessary and able.

I'm heading back to PHX on Sunday, as I have to work on Monday. Though, since I'll be working in Payson, I might just stay Sunday night and save 140+ miles of driving.

We need a decent, easily found, easy to access place to camp. Ideas, anyone?

Camhead: C'mon on down... you can rope gun for me, since I suck more than a $5 hooker on double coupon night.

climbsomething

Sep 4, 2006, 7:00 AM
Post #127 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Reno's agenda:

Arrive Flag on Thursday, early evening. Find a place to set up base camp, and commence to the beer consumption.

Friday, climb. Friday evening, eat camp food and drink beer. There will be a 8 quart batch of camp chili cooked in the dutch oven over an open fire one of these nights. And if nobody else shows, then I'll eat all 8 quarts by my damn self. Hillary, you know how troublesome this idea can be.

Saturday/Sunday: Repeat as necessary and able.

I'm heading back to PHX on Sunday, as I have to work on Monday. Though, since I'll be working in Payson, I might just stay Sunday night and save 140+ miles of driving.

We need a decent, easily found, easy to access place to camp. Ideas, anyone?

Camhead: C'mon on down... you can rope gun for me, since I suck more than a $5 hooker on double coupon night.
8 quarts of chili? Iiieeee!!!

Too bad I gotta work Friday and will be knee-deep in moving boxes Saturday-day. But you say "we," so you have a pard/traveling partner lined up? Otherwise you gotsta boulder for 2 days! :shock: or put on your sweetest "trawling for partners at the base" face... which won't get you very far if you indulge in the chili the night before.

So yeah, about that chili, hold off til Saturday, and A and I will come down that night (we'll even bring a big hunk of cheese to add to it). JUST DO NOT EAT IT ALL YOURSELF. I don't wanna write the lead story the next day about the Phoenix man who felled a stand of century-old Ponderosas, turned the Lake Mary trout belly up, and ignited a brush fire with his toxic ass.

Maybe you can camp at Fay Canyon? Paradise Forks? Priest Draw? There is SO much FS land here but I don't know the ins and outs yet. Hope a "real" local can clue ya in there ;)

Partner camhead

Sep 4, 2006, 2:18 PM
Post #128 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sweet, I'm there. Sport, trad, whatever, would be cool. There is decent free camping near Paradise Forks, or if we want to be nearer town and the "scene," there are plenty of spots around Priest's Draw as well.

And if Reno is doing chili, I'll do sourdough biscuits!

reno

Sep 4, 2006, 2:29 PM
Post #129 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sweet, I'm there. Sport, trad, whatever, would be cool. There is decent free camping near Paradise Forks, or if we want to be nearer town and the "scene," there are plenty of spots around Priest's Draw as well.

I think it'd be better to be closer to town. You know, in case we decide that people at the local burger and beer joint need to be graced with our presence. ;)

In reply to:
And if Reno is doing chili, I'll do sourdough biscuits!

Chili on Saturday night it is... I'll make the chili, but BYOB (Bring Your Own Bowl.)

phugganut

Sep 9, 2006, 3:22 AM
Post #130 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wanted to go to the last AZ gathering but the weather didn't cooperate. I can't go to this one b/c I am working in Chicago for a couple months and won't be back by then. Maybe next year.
-Mike

curt

Sep 10, 2006, 4:17 PM
Post #131 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Since we didn't have an AZ gathering this year, I'll throw this out there:

Anyone interested in Flagstaff for Sept 22-24? I've got a rare weekend free, and thought it'd be nice to hit the Pit and/or Oak Creek Overlook before it gets too cold.

Open to other ideas, too....

I'll bring the cast iron dutch oven and make a big pot of chili, if bribery will help.

Well, damn. I'll be in Boulder, CO that weekend.

Curt

gripfiender

Sep 10, 2006, 6:35 PM
Post #132 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im up for a bit of climbing in Flag on that weekend. Flag has a pretty good temperature right now, though its been raining way to much lately.

reno

Sep 10, 2006, 10:04 PM
Post #133 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Aw, shit.... would be nice if you could join us. You still owe me some Irish whisky from two years ago when you drank all of mine (or was that BVB?... Either way, you owe me some Irish Whisky.) :)

In reply to:
Im up for a bit of climbing in Flag on that weekend. Flag has a pretty good temperature right now, though its been raining way to much lately.

More rain = more beer drinking time. I fail to see the problem here? :)

Partner camhead

Sep 11, 2006, 2:28 AM
Post #134 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Anyone interested in Flagstaff for Sept 22-24? I've got a rare weekend free, and thought it'd be nice to hit the Pit and/or Oak Creek Overlook before it gets too cold.

I'll bring the cast iron dutch oven and make a big pot of chili, if bribery will help.

Curt

GHEY! BOULDER?

what are you going to be doing, taking your new suburu to the organic market while listening to NP fucking R?

curt

Sep 11, 2006, 5:06 AM
Post #135 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Curt

GHEY! BOULDER?

what are you going to be doing, taking your new suburu to the organic market while listening to NP fucking R?

Hey Utard, take all that pent-up hostility out on one of your wives.

Curt

Partner baja_java

Sep 11, 2006, 5:17 PM
Post #136 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

may i join? :D :D

like to check out Paradise Forks before or after too, if anyone's interested?

sean

reno

Sep 11, 2006, 6:16 PM
Post #137 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
may i join?

Sure.... been a while since we climbed, Sean. JT, almost 2 years ago, IIRC.

C'mon over. You know how to get here?

And we need a camping spot, someone. I can offer a suggestion, but it's not really conducive to a group of more than, oh, 3 tents.

Partner baja_java

Sep 11, 2006, 8:22 PM
Post #138 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yup, Feltonian Physics that turned out to be Prepackaged... like oops

and yes, i need directions. haven't climbed in AZ yet. been wanting to. i have Bloom's Castles in the Sand that covers Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. recently tracked down a copy of the Paradise Forks guide too. lovely cracks

reno

Sep 12, 2006, 1:52 AM
Post #139 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yup, Feltonian Physics that turned out to be Prepackaged... like oops

Still, it was a nice climb. And most adventures start out with some variation of "ooops."

In reply to:
and yes, i need directions. haven't climbed in AZ yet. been wanting to. i have Bloom's Castles in the Sand that covers Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. recently tracked down a copy of the Paradise Forks guide too. lovely cracks

Two options, and you can pick depending on which interstate is easier for you to get to:

I-10 East to Phoenix, then I-17 north to Flagstaff.
I-40 East past Vegas to Flag.

I'll wait another couple days, see if anyone has a camp site idea... then we'll post up directions to that.

If nobody offers a campsite by, oh, Thursday, I'll pick one and put the directions here.

That seem fair?

So far:

Climbsomething (and probably Tucsonalex)
Camhead
Reno
Baja-Java
gripfiender

Anyone else?

Partner camhead

Sep 12, 2006, 3:18 PM
Post #140 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so, yeah, I don't remember any exact campsites, so I'm not sure where we should meet. Maybe climbsomething could go scope something out and let us know?

and bajajava, I'd be stoked to climb at the Forks after the weekend or something...

climbsomething

Sep 12, 2006, 5:33 PM
Post #141 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Um... camping beta? *cocks head like a dog trying to process human language* There is the actual Forks campgroud. That will be the closest for all you columnar basalt aficionados. I say you commandeer that. It's free, too.

And am I hearing that some peeps will be staying past Sunday? Cos I have Monday off...

Anyhoo, I went to the Forks this weekend and here's a lil something to advance y'alls trip:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=78405

Partner baja_java

Sep 12, 2006, 5:34 PM
Post #142 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds good, jeff. looking forward to checking out the Overlook, and climbing and hanging with everyone

the Forks after the weekend would be perfect, paul. i'm open to a day or two, or heck, a week. let me know what's good for you

mmm... yes! THAT!! that monday too, hillary, if that works for you

redlegrangerone

Sep 12, 2006, 8:40 PM
Post #143 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ooooooooooooooooooooooh. If this is going to be a crack climbing weekend, I would definately be interested in joining you guys.

epic_ed

Sep 12, 2006, 10:14 PM
Post #144 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in for one day -- probably Saturday.

Camping -- if we're climbing at the Overlook, there is some really nice open dispersed camping right there. One spot is the gated forest road directly opposite the entrance to the Overlook. If the gate is open, then camping is allowed. This area gets a fair amount of traffic from drunken Mexicans, and I've camped there when the mariachi music has been loud and completely intolerable. On the plus side, it's very easy to find.

My favorite spot is just north of the Overlook just above the ADOT yard off to the east side of 89A. It's the first (I think) gated forest road on the east side of 89A above the ADOt yard. The gate is usually closed, but unless its LOCKED you are allowed to open up and drive in to camp. The road quickly gets to a very open area that could accomodate a lot of knuckle-draggers. If that area looks busy, just keep driving further back. Last time I was there the dirt road was easily passable by 2WD, low clearance vehicles at least to the first open area. There's only one rutted area beyond that that may keep low clearance vehicles from going all the way back to the rim.

There are no facilities at either area, but the second option is usually extremely private and secluded. A big bonus is it's just down the road from Flagstaff proper. Much closer than the camping at the Forks.

Ed

reno

Sep 12, 2006, 10:35 PM
Post #145 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My favorite spot is just north of the Overlook just above the ADOT yard off to the east side of 89A. It's the first (I think) gated forest road on the east side of 89A above the ADOt yard. The gate is usually closed, but unless its LOCKED you are allowed to open up and drive in to camp. The road quickly gets to a very open area that could accomodate a lot of knuckle-draggers. If that area looks busy, just keep driving further back. Last time I was there the dirt road was easily passable by 2WD, low clearance vehicles at least to the first open area. There's only one rutted area beyond that that may keep low clearance vehicles from going all the way back to the rim.

I like this idea.... close to Oak Creek, close enough to the Pit and Priest Draw, and easy access to the interstate for those wanting to hit the Forks. Shouldn't be too hard for folks to find, too.

Everyone want to vote yea or nay?

And for redlegrangerone: There will indeed be cracks climbed. Forks, of course, but there are good crack systems at Oak Creek. Come on up. Bring beer.

Lastly: I've got space to share a ride from PHX. I'll have my dog, but she rides in the back seat. I was going to leave Thursday evening, but I'm flexible on that, too.

redlegrangerone

Sep 12, 2006, 11:50 PM
Post #146 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Being of the non beer drinking persuasion, what is the preferred beer for climbing cracks? :lol:

climbsomething

Sep 13, 2006, 12:51 AM
Post #147 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BEER. Sometimes I just don't understand men.

Now, a tall boy of Smirnoff Ice...

climbsomething

Sep 13, 2006, 1:44 AM
Post #148 of 508 (38469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's another one from this weekend:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=78406

I would like to point out that our fearless leader doesn't have anything in for the first 50 feet or so. I'm not sure if this is by choice or necessity, but either way... yeesh.

I am SO STOKED to hear there will be some Overlook crankin'. It's just so much *friendlier* than the Forks, if you're delicate like me.

Can we get an agenda of sorts going? I want to know who's gonna be where when... this is vital info for climbsnothing's photo-graffin' services.

Is anybody thinking of the Draw or other pebbly places on Saturday, perhaps later in the day?

reno

Sep 13, 2006, 2:35 AM
Post #149 of 508 (38496 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Being of the non beer drinking persuasion, what is the preferred beer for climbing cracks?

Well, if you're climbing cracks on loose choss, it's Rolling Rock.

Partner camhead

Sep 13, 2006, 3:50 PM
Post #150 of 508 (38496 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sweet! I'll be down for doing cracks until tuesday or wednesday. probably stick around the city and do bouldering or spurt climbing for the weekend, and I've NEVER been to the Overlook.

And the preferred beer for crack climbing is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, in my opinion.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook