RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

drake0

Sep 6, 2002, 4:54 PM
Post #1 of 8 (4332 views)
Shortcut

hand signals
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Recently a lot of posts have been talking about climber/belayer communication. When I am at the gym and things get pretty loud my friends and myself use hand signals to keep things clear, I was wondering if anyone else did this.

Partner jammer

Sep 6, 2002, 5:52 PM
Post #2 of 8 (4332 views)
Shortcut

hand signals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard of signaling through rope pulls. I've also wondered if using one of those headsets would do the trick?

rockchick

Sep 6, 2002, 6:07 PM
Post #3 of 8 (4332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My climbing partner and i use walkie-talkies to communicate. It realy saves our vocal cords! But this is only when were out on real rock, not in the gym. When it comes to gym climbing - ive never had a problem with noise.

Another thing that really helps is to know what your partner is doing at all times so there is less confusion.

alpineice

Sep 6, 2002, 6:20 PM
Post #4 of 8 (4332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When we are out of hearing distance, we use 'rope pulls.' Two tugs means that the leader has reached the top and you are now on belay. Any other communication that you would usually want to say, such as 'up rope,' 'slack,' 'take,' we don't use. We just improvise. The main signal that needs to be communicated is whether your partner or you is on belay.

shamanzel

Sep 6, 2002, 7:40 PM
Post #5 of 8 (4332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ive never had a problem with noise at the gym

Partner drector

Sep 6, 2002, 8:20 PM
Post #6 of 8 (4332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In the gym, I only have two signals, one it hanging on the rope at the top of a route which means "lower me." The other is falling which means "lower me." I don't work the middle of routes very often at the gym.

On real rock, I was completely out of site of the belayer (second pitch off of the big ledge of Traveler's Buttress) and the wind had come up. I got to the top belay point and just pulled in the rope until there was none left. I put him on belay and started pulling. There was too much drag for tugs so we talked about it before the pitch and agreed to use some common sense. We also took a big risk assuming that the climb would be succcessful but the likely places to fall are within sight of the bottom belay.

Loads of fun.

mainline

Sep 18, 2002, 1:11 AM
Post #7 of 8 (4332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a partner use hand signals with me once. I think he was trying to tell me he was really pissed at me.

freudian

Oct 1, 2002, 4:22 AM
Post #8 of 8 (4332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hand signals indoors and outdoors that I like to use instead of trying to speak when your engergy could be better used in anothe fashion, like climbing thru the crux or trying to clip the rope into a draw... --Middle finger stuck out @ belaying while agressivly yanking at the rope, trying to get enough slack to clip into the quickdraw... also growling -- indoor, jumping into the rope from the top of the wall, at least 2 feet of slack... when your belayer is a good 40lbs lighter than you. It's fun to watch them slide on the floor towards the wall and yell out 'holy-crap' or even worse (grinning) -- throwing rocks at your belayer (just small ones) after they've been really noisy while you climb or just simply gave you a bad belay --

Eh... its fun to be pissed @ the belayer indoors, ... outdoors its not so great. My usual (and very good) climbing partner has very poor hearing, so he usually says "WHAT" 3/4 of the way through my sentances or statements. It's really annoying, but that's about the only bad thing I can say, and its beyond his control. I just talk much louder now.

im not sure where i was goign with this.

freudian

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook