RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

guitar_man04

Sep 21, 2006, 1:41 AM
Post #1 of 12 (4382 views)
Shortcut

ATTN: Middle Tennessee, Cookeville area
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone. I've been on this site for quite a while but i'm not a big poster. I'm looking to see what kind of demographics i'm looking at before starting an indoor gym in Cookeville, TN. I was wondering if anyone who would be interested could reply or email me at dsnorrod@charter.net and let me know if they are interested or have any ideas/suggestions as to what you'd like to see in a gym. I'm trying to do all my research before taking the first step. I'm planning on using Rockwerx consulting firm to help with the planning and business things. Any input is welcome. Thanks guys!

Daniel Norrod

guitar_man04

Sep 24, 2006, 12:31 AM
Post #2 of 12 (4382 views)
Shortcut

Re: ATTN: Middle Tennessee, Cookeville area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BTT, Look guys, there has to be SOMEONE who has some input. Anybody?

smearns

Sep 24, 2006, 1:51 AM
Post #3 of 12 (4382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that you have a good idea. I live in Knoxville and I'm not very impressed with our local climbing gym (for several reasons). I have been waiting for someone to step up and start a new climbing gym. After going to the Climb Nashville gym for an ABS comp I see what we are missing. I have been longing for a decent gym, Cookeville wouldn't be very "local" to me, but I think I would be willing to make the trip up there every now and then if it was worth it. (BTW I would start a gym of my own, but you have to a decent amount of money to do that! :roll: ) So good luck to you!

guitar_man04

Sep 24, 2006, 4:00 AM
Post #4 of 12 (4382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

smearns,

Thanks for the reply. Are you talking about the Climbing Center on Sutherland? What didn't you like about it and what would make a Cookeville gym "worth it"? Don't mean to ask a million questions, just want to get a good idea of what i'm getting myself into here and get some ideas. The firm that built Climb Nashville is the one that i'm working with so far so hopefully, it will be comparable but I may not go quite as big simply because Nashville is obviously much larger than Cookeville. Thanks again.

smearns

Sep 24, 2006, 5:00 PM
Post #5 of 12 (4382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To me, the Climbing Center is not maintained very well. The holds are always greasy and several of them are loose, which can make for a frustrating time when you are trying to climb a route. New technology allows for panels with features on them, instead of blank panels that you screw holds on to. This creates a more interesting and realistic atmosphere. I don't know if it was the demographics of the area or if it is this way at most gyms, but it was frustrating to come in and see that the place was crowded with younger kids that would be there just for the "social scene," they would sit on the ground in front of the ropes just talking. I know can't tell these people they aren't allowed to come, but it was just annoying.

msmclure21

Sep 26, 2006, 5:48 AM
Post #6 of 12 (4382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heck yes that is definitely a great idea. I'm a freshman and we have to drive about an hour to find anywhere to climb. I think this would help get more people involved in climbing in this area. Many people are interested but there is not very many opportunities for them to get involved. If you build it they will come!!!

guitar_man04

Oct 2, 2006, 5:25 PM
Post #7 of 12 (4382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. KEEP 'EM COMMIN' :D I'm still talking with Rockwerx and things are looking good.

gekk084

Oct 4, 2006, 12:50 AM
Post #8 of 12 (4382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A few things I've liked about the few gyms I've seen have been:
Toronto- a high wall, ropes for each climb so that climbers can safely climb alternate routes instead of every third route.
San Diego- a few hard vertical or slopey routes with small but accessible foot/hand holds (eg. a 1-4 move "no-hands" traverse). Most of the hard stuff is overhung, reachy and completely physical; climbing is also technique and finesse.
Nashville- mixed angle and difficulty in bouldering cave.

Cookeville is about an hour out for me, I'd love to have the option to climb year round. Good luck and thanks for asking!

noell

Oct 4, 2006, 1:39 AM
Post #9 of 12 (4382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you should consider Knoxville instead of Cookeville. There's a much larger climbing population and population in general to make a worthwhile gym more economically and financially feasible.

Also, I just looked up where Cookeville is on the map, and mapquest says its only 1 hour 18 minutes from Nashville. Lance's gym there gets awesome reviews - I don't think I'd want to be in competition with one of the best gyms in the country. Try Knoxville out for size instead, no real competition and we really need an awesome gym here.

leedaclimber

Nov 3, 2006, 10:34 PM
Post #10 of 12 (4382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are very few climbers that live in Cookeville. Before you invest in this you should check with local groups like boy scouts and the local school athletics program to see if they would be interested. Granted you'll get some cash flow from college students, but you have to have more groups to make it sucessful.

I am excited about your idea- I went to TN Tech during 01 and had no access to a gym except at Chief's house in Cookeville and the rec center in Crossville.

Just wondering, what size gym were you looking into building?

cbrust42

Apr 24, 2012, 3:04 PM
Post #11 of 12 (3281 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guitar_man04] ATTN: Middle Tennessee, Cookeville area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dear god. if only i wold have read this a few years ago. I know tons and tons of people who live in cookeville and climb. Everyone here in cookeville is currently on the search for some new boulders around town. the only areas actually in cookeville are Sheeps Bluff(exit 290) and Bee Rock(monterey). If a gym were to somehow years later still open, i know without a doubt it would be a popular place to go and harness some new techniques and abilities. Tech has a wimpy climbing wall and the students who climb are very unsatisfied with it. If its not to late and there is any hope left, i would with out a doubt say that building an indoor rock climbing gym in cookeville would benefit you and cookeville.

Evenstarv

May 22, 2012, 1:09 AM
Post #12 of 12 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cbrust42] ATTN: Middle Tennessee, Cookeville area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you gone to the Obed? It's about 30 minutes away and has sport and bouldering. If i lived in Cookeville, that;s where i would be.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook