Forums: Climbing Partners: Canada:
Wilderness First Aid/Responders Courses (Ontario)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Canada

Premier Sponsor:

Partner abe_ascends

Oct 1, 2006, 6:14 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1046 views)
Shortcut

Wilderness First Aid/Responders Courses (Ontario)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I'd like to get my foot in the door of the outdoor/climbing industries by getting some certifications and increasing my own knowledge. I think a good place to start is First Aid. I already have Standard First Aid/CPR C (expires Nov), but I'm wondering about good Wilderness First Aid courses. I've looked at the Outward Bound and Wilderness Medical Associates websites and I'm wondering (for those who have taken WFA) which course is better? Is there a better WFA company out there? Would a college course/program be the best course of action? If so, which one?

I assume most people take a WFA course before moving to Wilderness First Responder. Does a WFR course include everything from WFA, and can you take a WFR course and skip WFA altogether? Would you recommend it?

Lastly, for those who have taken either WFA or WFR, do you have any tips or experiences in taking the courses which you'd care to share? Most notably information you wouldn't find on a course website.

Thanks in advance for tips and advice!

timm

Oct 1, 2006, 6:27 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1046 views)
Shortcut

Re: Wilderness First Aid/Responders Courses (Ontario) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would recommend the WFR course from WMI. For most outdoor professions, it is the required minimum medical training. For example, it is required by the AMGA for their certifications to be valid.

Cheers.

binrat

Mar 22, 2007, 7:10 AM
Post #3 of 4 (720 views)
Shortcut

Re: [timm] Wilderness First Aid/Responders Courses (Ontario) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure if you have done it yet or not. But I say go for the WMA WFR course. I've been a WFR for numerous years now and it is a good level to be at. I've used the WFA as a re-cert a few years ago and plan to do the whole course over again this year.

jumpingrock

Mar 22, 2007, 9:20 AM
Post #4 of 4 (713 views)
Shortcut

Re: [binrat] Wilderness First Aid/Responders Courses (Ontario) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I did it with St. John's Ambulance. It was a pretty good course. Learned a fair bit. Haven't practiced in over 3 years so it's pretty much useless. But that's beside the point.

Forums : Climbing Partners : Canada

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook