RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

slackdaddy

Oct 1, 2006, 6:48 PM
Post #1 of 16 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Slackline on NBC's Today show
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Set your vcr's or tevo for the Today show Sat. Oct 7. It starts at 6 or 7 am (check your local listings). NBC is flying me (Scott Balcom) and Adam Grosowsky to NYC to slack at Rockafeller center. Should be fun. I think the show is 2 hours and our appearance will be maybe 5 mins so good luck with that, but check it out. Adam is the very first slackline master and I haven't seen him since 1983 so I'm looking foward to that.

And to all those that worry about your knees or health after years of slackline tune-in to watch the old guys walk (and fly).

slacker_jon

Oct 1, 2006, 7:43 PM
Post #2 of 16 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Re: Slackline on NBC's Today show [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd REALLY like to see that - PLEASE can someone post it on youtube?!?

dynoho

Oct 2, 2006, 2:48 AM
Post #3 of 16 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, congratulations on the show!

Nice to see some recognition for a relatively obscure sport. I was wondering what the potential negative ramifications were to my knees from participation. On occasion, I endure some pain from what seems like an extreme isometric, but it pales in comparison from some of the landings I have made. I would think that the non impact (other than falling) would be relatively harmless. Should I be looking for something specific?

Thanks for the input.

slackinghigh

Oct 2, 2006, 2:56 PM
Post #4 of 16 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool! That should be a blast. I bet they will be surprised to see someone surf without an ocean. Are you guys going to be inside or out . . . A-frames on a stage with pallets?

Congrats,
Dylan

slackdaddy

Oct 3, 2006, 2:26 AM
Post #5 of 16 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks,

Hey Dylan, I don't think there's a stage. We will be outside with some adjustible portible A-frames that I made and I told them that we will need two pallets with 8 60 gal drums full of water or two vehicles to anchor to. (Tying under the wheels NOT to the car itself).

And to dynoho, I'll be 44 in Jan. I've been slackin' for 23 years and my knees feel great.

Cheers

slackdaddy

Oct 3, 2006, 3:19 AM
Post #6 of 16 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks,

Hey Dylan, I don't think there's a stage. We will be outside with some adjustible portible A-frames that I made and I told them that we will need two pallets with 8 60 gal drums full of water or two vehicles to anchor to. (Tying under the wheels NOT to the car itself).

And to dynoho, I'll be 44 in Jan. I've been slackin' for 23 years and my knees feel great.

Cheers

robo555

Oct 11, 2006, 10:20 AM
Post #7 of 16 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So...anyone got the clip?

bouldrinsoill

Oct 11, 2006, 11:57 AM
Post #8 of 16 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, would really like to see it as well...

Phillip

boardline22

Oct 11, 2006, 12:01 PM
Post #9 of 16 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone got the clip?

Partner slacklinejoe

Oct 11, 2006, 3:06 PM
Post #10 of 16 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did anyone see it? How'd this turn out? I was volunteer guiding that weekend so I didn't have much of a chance to catch it (well, that and I don't own a TV).

veganboyjosh

Oct 14, 2006, 3:33 PM
Post #11 of 16 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i had a friend tivo it, and i watched it last night.

i'mma try and bughim to get it to me via email, and i'll post it on youtube.

it's a pretty lame clip, tho, and almost not worth it. it's the weekend hosts--ie people you've never seen before, who look/speak smell vaguely like the weekday hosts, talking to scott and adom out in front of the studio, with a bunch of screamin idiots holding signs saying "we love you, stephanie, happy birthday!", while they--scott/adom--alternate slacking/answering questions that everyone reading htis has answered a billion times.

altho, the juggling pins on the line was pretty rad to see. and there's a clip of (i think it was) adom walking a highline, but i didn't recognize it. they showed it a couple of times, and it was the same clip, it seemed.

um...also, the weekend today show blows. luckily it was tivo'ed so i could ff thru most of it, but there were a couple of stories i slowed down to watch, and even those were bad bad bad.

knowing what i know about slacklining, and seeing the clip, it sorta makes me question the validity of most of their other stories. it was mostly there for something new...which i guess today show can't be blamed for, it's waht they do.

no offense to scott or adom, you guys looked great. it was the today show that i think let me down. i woulda liked to have seen it more of a feature, than two guys in the parking lot...i can't believe you got beat out by the breathable alcohol story.

if/when i get the thing onto youtube, i'll let you know. just don'tg et your hopes up. imagine slacklining on the oprah show. that's about what you're gonna get...

slackdaddy

Oct 15, 2006, 6:04 PM
Post #12 of 16 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The highline clip was me walking the first slackline crossing of the Lost Arrow Spire in Yosemite in 1985.

slacker_jon

Oct 25, 2006, 1:35 PM
Post #13 of 16 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been asked to do a slackline demonstration at the Kendal Mountain Film Festival in 3 weeks time. They want me to do it on a stage with a mobile rig. I'm not sure if I'm able to do it as I'm meant to be in Amsterdam, but I can probably change the plane tickets.

To make anchors I was thinking of using a couple of pallets of bricks - I calculate that 4 x 60 gal water has a mass of just over a tonne... with this mass, what length line should I be able to rig? I will probably need to use some carpet to protect the stage from the pallets and I guess this will help it to grip to a smooth stage.

Are there any other ways might I do the same thing? All tips welcome!

Cheers

Jon

veganboyjosh

Oct 25, 2006, 1:39 PM
Post #14 of 16 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've been asked to do a slackline demonstration at the Kendal Mountain Film Festival in 3 weeks time. They want me to do it on a stage with a mobile rig. I'm not sure if I'm able to do it as I'm meant to be in Amsterdam, but I can probably change the plane tickets.

To make anchors I was thinking of using a couple of pallets of bricks - I calculate that 4 x 60 gal water has a mass of just over a tonne... with this mass, what length line should I be able to rig? I will probably need to use some carpet to protect the stage from the pallets and I guess this will help it to grip to a smooth stage.

Are there any other ways might I do the same thing? All tips welcome!

Cheers

Jon

i'd start a new thread. this could get some interesting resposes.

slacker_jon

Nov 2, 2006, 12:53 PM
Post #15 of 16 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the tip Josh, I was waiting to see if it worked out before starting a new thread, but alas the logistics need too much planning and so it looks like one for next year!

slacker_jon

Nov 30, 2006, 5:45 PM
Post #16 of 16 (3310 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacker_jon] Slackline on NBC's Today show [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was slacking in Holland at the time and they got someone else to rig the line for the KMFF... but here's the film they made for anyone interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPOOXGGGu5o

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook