Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Permanent Toilet in the Buttermilks..VOTE
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

superbum

Oct 7, 2006, 11:06 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2317 views)
Shortcut

Permanent Toilet in the Buttermilks..VOTE  (North_America: United_States: California: Bishop_and_Eastern_Sierra: Buttermilks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK everyone, listen up. The Eastern Sierra Climbers' Coalition is deciding RIGHT NOW weather or not to install a permanent toilet (Think Hidden Valley, Red Rocks, THE PIT, etc...) in the Buttermilk area. Up until now they have shelled out mucho $$$ for porta poties but have decided to go all or nothing this season because of the horrendous cost of temp. toilets. They are looking for your opinions (and donations). The cost of a Perm. Toilet is $15,000 and remember, it is Permanent The access fund will kick in $5,000.

http://climberscoalition.org/cms/

The poll is on the right side of the page and the Toilet info is in the middle.

I have a fairly strong opinion on the issue. I've camped in and around the buttermilk for two winters and now call Bishop my home for over a year (not long, but still..). I am not here to influence decisions as I believe in true democracy and hope the poll (and ultimate decisions) accurately reflect the climbing community's wants.

I WILL say however that I have never seen or smelled human feces at the buttermilk. Please carefully think before you vote. Just because you have a big ass or you forgot to buy toilet paper in town IS NOT a good reason to install a permanent structure.

My vote is for wag bags, if anything.

superbum

Oct 7, 2006, 11:11 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2315 views)
Shortcut

Re: Permanent Toilet in the Buttermilks..VOTE [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Also remember......

posting replies and discussing this issue on this site is good and awesome and fun and informative, but the only way to really influence the outcome is to visit the site, vote, e-mail, write and take action!

climbingaggie03

Oct 8, 2006, 2:08 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if we vote no on the permanent toilet in the buttermilks, can we start camping in the pit for free again?

I vote wag bags, poop in town, or if you must, dig a cathole, but the less development, the better.

superbum

Oct 8, 2006, 9:27 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BUMP

eddie_munster

Oct 8, 2006, 9:52 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you want people to "vote," you should create a poll on this page.

I've lived in bish for about four years and have climbed in the buttermilks for ten years. Anyone who's been climbing there for a decade or more knows that there has been an impact.

I have found human shit in the buttermilks as recently as last spring. Some people are more responsible than others. Some visitors think that if they just run 20 yards away from the peabodies that nobody will find their dump.

I support the ESCC 100%, and I am currently fundraising for the effort. Wag-bags work for sure (how many people, besides guides carry these?), but a permanent facility is a good idea for an area that is visited by more boulderers than any other area outside of Hueco.

Also, the facility is to be built on USFS land, not BLM land (which operates the Pit). My two cents on the whiners: If you can't afford a few bucks to camp in the pit anymore, I suggest just picking one of hundreds of free campsites in the area (or get a job).

superbum

Apr 26, 2007, 8:50 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2098 views)
Shortcut

Re: [eddie_munster] Permanent Toilet in the Buttermilks..VOTE [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bump...still an issue...

boulderTroll

Aug 6, 2009, 9:02 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1338 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superbum] Permanent Toilet in the Buttermilks..VOTE [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i want a permanent toilet in the buttermilks!!!! what can i do to help? is it still available?

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$12.36 (10% off)
$35.96 (10% off)
$44.96 (10% off)
$107.06 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook