RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

jasonre14

Sep 8, 2002, 9:38 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1241 views)
Shortcut

mantleing and topping out
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I tend to spend a lot of my time in the gym where we dont have a topout boulder or anything. As a result my topping out and mantling skills are severely lacking. I miss sending a great deal of problems because I either can' t physically mantle/top out or because it is too mentally intimidating. Any suggestions on improving on this weakness physically or mentally?

Jason

bluesky

Sep 8, 2002, 10:21 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1241 views)
Shortcut

mantleing and topping out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Find a way to practice manteling in safe situations. Look for low bouldering, toprope or safe lead situations to practice manteling. You might find some buildering examples too. You likely can find a concrete wall that is waist height or taller, practice mantelling on it - you might want a spot until you get the hang of it.
As far as technique goes, manteling involves positioning yourself up as far as possible with pulling arms and pushing feet, switching to pressing with one or both of the arms, pressing and finally moving your feet up. Sometimes you'll be able to find feet below you to support yourself for a second to switch the arms to pressing. Moving the feet up can be the scariest part - flexibility can help. Sometimes heel hooks and other funkiness go along with this.
As far as strength goes, if you can't do a handful of dips you might want to work on your tricep strength.
Manteling and other pressing skills aren't used quite as often, but you should make the most of them when you have the oppurtunity - especially on longer climbs when this will give your pulling muscles a rest.
Congrats at finding and determining to work on your weakness. Good Luck.
cheers -Jesse

[ This Message was edited by: bluesky on 2002-09-08 15:26 ]

jasonre14

Sep 9, 2002, 1:13 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1241 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jesse,
Thank you very much for the great advice. Hopefully my manteling will improve. thanks again.

Jason

micronut

Sep 12, 2002, 7:25 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1241 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I read about Tony Yaniro training for a boulder called "Sean's Mantle" in J-Tree by using a sloping roof of a shed or something. He couldn't do it one season, practiced on the roof all winter and sent first try come spring. Also, get out of the gym and onto some stone. Gym climbing is NOT rock climbing. Pine Mtn. CA, has all the slopers you could ever want. Also. weight training could help

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook