Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Partner alexmac

Oct 22, 2006, 3:23 AM
Post #51 of 176 (18153 views)
Shortcut

Re: Alert Kidnapped Rockclimbers At Big Rock, Perris, Califo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
We are above the Lake Perris park and lake and I’m eager to get to the top of the “Big Rock” to admire the view across the desert valley floor, Bill is following me but decides to rappel down as he saw a lone figure at the base of the rock and is concerned about our belongings being “ripped off”.

All the debate on truth of this story, does not really matter nor the good turn and robbery.

A person is messing with your stuff, you have gravity, warm them off, then drop a rock WIDE.... Next one Closer, Third time Don't miss..

flygiles

Oct 22, 2006, 3:54 AM
Post #52 of 176 (18153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Curt youre on of life's true idiots
You tell me to go away...yet have not the courage nor the will to look into the truth of my story; you mistaken individual I expect no apology from you...yet you mean nothing

To everyone else I apologise to ending my post in such a disagreeable way, some people just feel the need to critisise others without finding out first, and I really felt the need to reply to defend my name.
I hope my posts have been useful and kept someone safe...I wish you all blue skies and much fun outdoors

majid_sabet

Oct 22, 2006, 5:15 AM
Post #53 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xe

curt

Oct 22, 2006, 5:18 AM
Post #54 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

It's "you're" and "one" Einstein. Oh, and a period is nice at the end of a sentence, genius. Jesus, it's too bad the guy didn't just pull the trigger.

Curt

htotsu

Oct 22, 2006, 5:30 AM
Post #55 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

It's "you're" and "one" Einstein. Oh, and a period is nice at the end of a sentence, genius. Jesus, it's too bad the guy didn't just pull the trigger.

Curt
Crass and pathetic to say to someone who has had that experience. But fine. Let's play your way.

Before suggesting that people should be shot for omitting necessary punctuation, perhaps you should clarify whether you are telling flygiles that there is one and only one Einstein, or whether your sentence is simply missing a comma.

flygiles

Oct 22, 2006, 5:34 AM
Post #56 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Curt
To pull apart my spelling shows exactly where you focus is.
To wish that I should have been shot is childish...
Post whatever smart-ass reply you wish...
Goodbye
G

cosmiccragsman

Oct 22, 2006, 6:02 AM
Post #57 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stay tuned for the next EXCITING episode of;
As The RC.Com World Turns.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Cosmiccragsman

Partner climbinginchico

Oct 22, 2006, 6:19 AM
Post #58 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This just in...

IT'S THE INTERNET! NOBODY REALLY CARES IF YOU DON'T LIKE SOMEONE ELSE!

dptaylor

Oct 22, 2006, 7:03 AM
Post #59 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay. As I read this I saw a lot of people accusing the OP of trolling, and maybe so. But I think that, regardless of the actuality of the event, it stands as a good reminder to all of us to be careful as we climb. You never know who's out there. Call me a bit of an alarmist, but I've been to that area of Riverside, and I know some cops from that area who would confirm that events like this are not uncommon at all. Be careful people, it's not worth getting killed 'cause we're worried about someone trolling for posts.

In reply to:
When you are kidnapped by armed gunmen while climbing, you are supposed to wait for the right opportunity, and then push the kidnapper off a cliff. You will never become an internationally known 5.14 climber until you master this technique.

Jay

So this is what I've been doing wrong!?! :lol:

mountain_racer

Oct 22, 2006, 3:27 PM
Post #60 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread seems like folks are looking to collect "steaming piles" of scat, lmaol!

reno

Oct 22, 2006, 3:47 PM
Post #61 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Jesus, it's too bad the guy didn't just pull the trigger.

OK, that statement is more than a little over the top, Curt.

tradmanclimbs

Oct 22, 2006, 6:03 PM
Post #62 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is nothing in the Perris news about climbers abducted or robbed from the period of sept. 30 to today? whats up?? post a link to a news sorce or STFU

majid_sabet

Oct 22, 2006, 8:31 PM
Post #63 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xe

climbingcowboy

Oct 22, 2006, 11:23 PM
Post #64 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Stay tuned for the next EXCITING episode of;
As The RC.Com World Turns.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Cosmiccragsman

Thats fricking great. :lol: :lol:

climbsomething

Oct 22, 2006, 11:29 PM
Post #65 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
U kall Pigs ,fbi,la immigracion, next time me pull chingata u gringoo u dye for cinco dollares .
Do you eat paint chips? Or are you just missing a chromosome?

jt512

Oct 23, 2006, 2:26 AM
Post #66 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There is nothing in the Perris news about climbers abducted or robbed from the period of sept. 30 to today? whats up??

It's the Inland Empire. Getting held up is not news, it's life.

Jay

jt512

Oct 23, 2006, 2:48 AM
Post #67 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Top 10 Reasons to Climb at Big Rock

10. They finally replaced the 30-year-old quarter-inch bolts.

9. Upper-body strength is overrated, anyway -- "it's all about the calves, Baby!"

8. Lynn Hill climbed there and became a 5.14 climber, and correlation is almost as good as causation.

7. Your motto is "The only thing better than a runout slab is a greasy, runout slab."

6. It's a great place to buy drugs.

5. It's a great place to sell drugs.

4. Plus, you can launder your drug profits just by paying the exorbitant parking fees.

3. You love the smell of melting shoe rubber in the morning.

2. You need more models for your photo essay "Inbreds of the Inland Empire."

And the Number One reason to climb at Big Rock...

1. You can practice fending off armed kidnappers before your next expedition to Kyrgyzstan.

socalclimber

Oct 23, 2006, 2:57 AM
Post #68 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't figure out why people find this hard to believe. Visit the area and you'll see why this is entirely possible. Especially if they were alone. I'm not surprised in the least bit.

climbsomething

Oct 23, 2006, 3:08 AM
Post #69 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Top 10 Reasons to Climb at Big Rock

2. You need more models for your photo essay "Inbreds of the Inland Empire."
And the staff at the San Bernie TGIFridays get kinda pissy when you try to shoot during happy hour!

Partner bear829

Oct 23, 2006, 6:12 AM
Post #70 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I still lived in California, I went to school in Perris. Boy, was that a treat. It wasn't great then, and I can't see why it would have changed. If you wanted to get a new car, take your old one there and it would be taken apart piece by piece in five flat. You could drive by the exit for it on the freeway and know that it wasn't a good place. Its never good when people stop on the freeway to put gang shite on the signs. There is one good thing about it though, you can get any, and I mean any, kind of drug imaginable. :shock:

jimdavis

Oct 23, 2006, 7:11 AM
Post #71 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I can't figure out why people find this hard to believe. Visit the area and you'll see why this is entirely possible. Especially if they were alone. I'm not surprised in the least bit.

I get a hoot out of the fact that people think crime only happens in areas with high rates of unemployment and a low average incomes. Or a higher concentration of one ethnic group or another.

And statements like "we need to be more careful as climbers"????? More like as a society. Just cause one person has (or says they had) a run-in with an armed robber, doesn't mean shit. That kind of thing will happen as long as criminals feel they can get away with it.

Here's my perspective on the whole issue of armed criminals.... Carry a gun, yourself! Criminals sure as hell aren't gonna give up carrying guns (and other weapons)! Crime rates go down when criminals are afraid of getting shot by armed civilians.

Here's some stats: http://www.nraila.org/...eets/read.aspx?ID=18
You can debate the NRA all you want, you can find similar stats from multiple organizations.

In reply to:
In 2005 RTC (right to carry) states had lower violent crime rates, on average, compared to the rest of the country (total violent crime by 22%; murder, 30%; robbery, 46%; and aggravated assault, 12%) and included the seven states with the lowest total violent crime rates, and 11 of the 12 states with the lowest murder rates.

In reply to:
[W]hen state concealed handgun laws went into effect in a county, murders fell by 8.5 percent, and rapes and aggravated assaults fell by 5 and 7 percent.
In reply to:
RTC permit-holders are more law-abiding than the rest of the public.
Florida has issued more carry permits than any state (due to its large population and having had an RTC law since 1987).... As of 8/31/06, Florida has issued 1,178,523 permits, and revoked 157 (0.01%) due to gun crimes by permit-holders.

In reply to:
Police aren’t required to protect you. In Warren v. District of Columbia (1981), the D.C. Court of Appeals ruled, “official police personnel and the government employing them are not generally liable to victims of criminal acts for failure to provide adequate police protection. . . a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular citizen.” In Bowers v. DeVito (1982), the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals ruled, “[T]here is no constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen.”

So, considering that you average violent encounter lasts only seconds, the odds of a police officer being within ear shot at the time of the encounter are about 0%, and crime can happen anywhere and anytime....ya'll should start thinking a little bit more about how to defend yourself.

It's pretty arrogant to expect a police officer to put their life on the line to save your ass, when your not willing to do everything in your power to save it first.

Someone made a crack earlier about bringing Kung Fu to a gun fight and loosing every time....I have to disagree with that. Police are trained to kill an aggressor with a weapon when they're inside of 21 feet, and are not complying. There's a reason for that...at that distance, a knife is just as good as a gun. In close quarters, if you learn how to do so...you can disarm someone with a gun using your bare hands. Point being...a gun isn't guaranteed to make you win a violent encounter...by any means.

About the initial post though...hearing that the OP identified the gun as a 9mm, and loaded is kinda fishy to me. Either your talking out of your ass...or you had to be close enough to read the model number off the gun, and see a loaded chamber indicator....

Someone also said "there's no such thing as a unloaded gun" Well then how do you clean them? How are they transported? How are they sold? How are they assembled? If you can't determine that your gun is unloaded, then you shouldn't own one. How I treat this (and I don't know why more people don't feel the same) is that a gun is loaded until I can prove that it isn't. That means it gets treated like a loaded gun until I verify an empty chamber and magazine...and I do so every time it changed hands, or leaves my sight. But the attitude that guns can never be unloaded is just blind irrational fear. A gun is just a tool, know how it works.

Whether this happened or not really doesn't matter, except maybe to those who visit the area...if this happens to be someone who will do this again. Crime will happen where people "never saw it coming" "we never expected this to happen HERE" "we're not near any major city.." etc... This kind of shit will happen...it's just a matter of how prepared you wanna be if/ when your number is up. Me...I'll have my Glock 32 pretty close by.

Jim

fmd

Oct 23, 2006, 12:59 PM
Post #72 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Someone made a crack earlier about bringing Kung Fu to a gun fight and loosing every time....I have to disagree with that. Police are trained to kill an aggressor with a weapon when they're inside of 21 feet, and are not complying. There's a reason for that...at that distance, a knife is just as good as a gun. In close quarters, if you learn how to do so...you can disarm someone with a gun using your bare hands. Point being...a gun isn't guaranteed to make you win a violent encounter...by any means.

You got your facts wrong with this one. 21 feet :lol:

Also, you bring your Kung Fu and I'll bring my SW 9 mil. We'll see who looses....Do you really think you are "bad" enough or "fast as lighting" to bet your life you can take a gun off of someone you have no idea of who they are or what type of training they have. Maybe, just maybe, they are the Kung Fu grand poo ba wizard....... Talk is cheap when you dont have a gun in your face........

b_crux

Oct 23, 2006, 1:48 PM
Post #73 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...and people actually wonder why I carry a gun.

tradmanclimbs

Oct 23, 2006, 1:59 PM
Post #74 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Although jay did not post a link he did indicate that he had found the news story. I had no problem believeing it could have happened. the parris news was chock full of violent crime!!! Jim. the firearms angle is something that I am an expert on. Nothing fishy at all on identifying the weopen as a 9mm and that it was loaded. If the perp racked the slide to get your attention it MOST DEFINATLY would get you attention and indicate to you that it was loaded. Most anyone has seen enough movies to to identify any full sized auto loader as a 9mm. weather or not they are right is immaterial. a 40,cal is gonna do the trick even better than the 9. Anyone who knows their guns will get the caliber right by the size of the hole looking at them. Wheel guns are real intimidateing when pointed at your head, you can see all the rounds stareing at you. THEY LOOK BIG!! I had a .38sp pointed at me head in anger once. You gonna call BS on that? I got a much better look at it than you did and it was a .38. In good light you CAN see the round in the chamber of a 9mm when its pointed at your head!! 45acp is even more impressive!! and yes ALL FIREARMS SHOULD BE TREATED AS LOADED REGARDLESS OF THEIR ACTUAL CHAMBERED STATUS.

Disarming someone with a handgun is pretty doable if the perp gets close enough to you. I recomend deflecting the weopen with one hand and strikeing the assailnts gun arm and then head with a#4 camalot. If they are not within grappeling distance it is suicide! Rifle or shotgun is much harder to take away as the bad guy has a lot of leverage and can but stroke the crap out of you and then shoot you.

Reasons it is a bad idea to carry a gun climbing.
#1 It's heavy. If you don't plan on bringing it up the climb with you then you must leave it in your pack or vehicle where it may be stolen and used in a crime against you or someone else.
#2 It's often illeagle depending on where you are. Your chances of getting busted are better than your chances of being a hero and saveing the day in a gunfight. Back in my comp days I used to go strapped 90% of the time and it is really a hassel. "lets go to the daks" "aw $hit , I'm packing and NY has a mandatory 1 year gun law, what am I gonna do with my piece?" It just is not worth the risk and hassle.
In Sumary, I have been in a few camping spots where a firearm would have been a good thing to have but the fact that you must leave it unnatended while you climb negates its usefullness.. Chances are that if you are in an area with high enough crime to need a gun you also run a high risk of being robbed while you are up on the cliff. That means your pack or vehicle and that also means your gun.

shakylegs

Oct 23, 2006, 2:04 PM
Post #75 of 176 (18152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...and people actually wonder why I carry a gun.

Over-compensating for an extremely small penis?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook