Premier Sponsor:

aulwes

Sep 25, 2001, 12:09 AM
Post #1 of 4 (720 views)
Shortcut

Rapelling fear of....
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have rapelling fear, I am most nervious when I'm repelling. I'm afraid the rapel anchors won't hold. I only feel safe when I have it backed up on three or four anchors. other wise I really nervoius on my way down.

Should I be fearful of rapelling? have you ever heared of a drilled rapel anchor fail?

rck_climber

Sep 25, 2001, 1:09 AM
Post #2 of 4 (720 views)
Shortcut

Rapelling fear of.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Luckily I'm happy to report that I've never heard or seen of a double-bolt rappelling station failing.

The important thing is to inspect the equipment that is there for defects or fatigue. Make sure the bolts or pitons are solid in the rock, that there is no serious wear on the bolts or chains from rope friction and the set-up puts equal pressure on both (or all) pieces.

If any of it looks bad, sacrifice a piece or two to set your own system up. We all hate to leave gear behind, but it's better than falling to your death. As my wife always says, gear can be replaced, you can't.

Other than that, you have to place your trust in the gear. If you don't trust the gear that you've got, you'll never be able to climb without fear. We partake in an inherently dangerous sport, but we take every precaution that we can...beyond that, you just have to have faith in your equipment to do what it was designed for.

Not sure if this helps, but I hope it does.

Mick

[ This Message was edited by: rck_climber on 2001-09-24 18:11 ]

aulwes

Sep 25, 2001, 5:04 AM
Post #3 of 4 (720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks rck_climber,
I had never heard of two bolt failing either, but just checking to see if anyone had. When I climb I always like to know the age of the bolt, and check to see that it is a 3/8 or 1/2in bolt. I thing it is smart to be carful when repelling. I've heard too many rapelling horror Stoies. Be safe!

kagunkie

Sep 25, 2001, 5:16 AM
Post #4 of 4 (720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Watch out for fixed anchors! I could think of many stories but one sticks out in my mind. One time I topped out on a popular one pitch route gaining a fixed two piton anchor, it looked good and I fixed the rope, when I leaned back to rappel one of the pins pulled out! I quickley stepped back up to the anchor and added some gear, when I checked the other pin I pulled it out with my fingers. I then climbed to another belay that was close by and rappeled. When I got to the ground it began to sink in, I ALMOST GOT KILLED rappeling! Dont have fear just have respect and doublecheck EVERYTHING! If its good its good! You personally checked it, right. If you checked it and its OK its OK. Always tie into the anchor untill AFTER your on rappel then untie or unconnect from the anchor and go down. Good anchors dont fail, only people do. Watch yourself.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook