RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

toddr

Sep 9, 2002, 5:28 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3812 views)
Shortcut

NC climber killed on Bumblebee Buttress
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Information is kind of sketchy right now, but a climber was killed Sept. 8th while climbing on the North Carolina Wall in Linville Gorge. It appears he was on the route BumbleBee Buttress 5.8 when he fell. I'm going out of town and won't be able to contribute additional information on this. I hope more specific details will become available. Anyone interested in finding out more can go to the following websites for updates and info:
carolinaclimbers.org or
seclimbers.org and go to the message board.

jmlangford

Sep 9, 2002, 8:12 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3812 views)
Shortcut

NC climber killed on Bumblebee Buttress [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is the article from the Morganton, NC newspaper:

Morganton man falls to death climbing at Table Rock

By SHARON McBRAYER
The News Herald

MORGANTON -- A Morganton man fell to his death Saturday while he was rock climbing with a friend at Table Rock.

Colin Guy Treiber, 20, of Hopewell Road, according to Burke County Emergency Services, was climbing in the North Carolina Wall area when he slipped and fell about 150 to 200 feet. The North Carolina Wall area is south of the Table Rock parking area.

Burke County Sheriff's Detective Robert Beall, who assisted in the investigation, said Treiber, who was an experienced climber, lost his balance before he was able to clip into the fifth protection pin.

"He got number five in but he never got connected to it," Beall said.

When Treiber lost his balance and began falling, the rock where the fourth protection pin was anchored broke, causing the pin to come out. The first, second and third protection pins remained but were not enough to hold him.

Jerry Carter, a family friend, said by the time anchor pin three could catch him, he had fallen far enough to be injured.

Treiber was in a section of the cliff that was jutting outward over his head when he lost his footing.

Beall said there were numerous climbers at the scene with 25 years of experience in climbing who said Treiber was using the right equipment and it was in good working order.

"Right now, none of his equipment was a contributing factor," Beall said. "It's just an unfortunate accident."

Beall said, "He was a well-thought of man. All of his teachers thought he would be president."

Treiber was a rising junior at the School of Design at North Carolina State University but had taken the fall semester off to extend his internship with Henredon Furniture.

He had attended Freedom High School and was a graduate of the North Carolina School of Science and Math in Durham.

"He was well on his way," Carter said. "Burke County has lost one of its brightest rising stars. He followed in the wake of his phenomenal twin sisters, but he found his own path to excellence."

Treiber's mother remembers him saying he wanted to create designs which would make people's lives better.

Treiber, in addition to climbing, was an avid bike rider, speed skater, body builder and ran on the Freedom High track team.

Carter said Treiber also snorkeled and had just gotten back from a family vacation in the Bahamas.

Treiber was the son of Miklos and Kelly Sprinkle Treiber and was the brother of twin sisters, Kyle and Kimberly Treiber.

Resources from Burke County Emergency Services, Burke County EMS Special Operations Team, Jonas Ridge Fire and First Responders, Burke County Rescue Squad, Lake James Fire Department, Oak Hill Fire Department, Burke County REACT, N.C. Outward Bound School and Linville Central Rescue were dispatched to the scene.

Beall said rescue workers were dedicated to getting Treiber out of the area. His body was recovered Saturday around 10 p.m.

"There were about 40 emergency workers out there who did an outstanding job," Beall said. "My hat is off to them. It was very rough terrain."

k9rocko

Sep 9, 2002, 8:48 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Absoultely Horrible...... My deepest sympathies to his friends, and family.

Please post further details as they become available.

The news never gets it right... The climbing community should always get it right, to do everything to prevent this from happening again.

deafclimber

Sep 10, 2002, 4:13 AM
Post #4 of 5 (3812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it is so sad. My deepest sympathies go to his family.

climbinganne

Sep 10, 2002, 4:28 AM
Post #5 of 5 (3812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i can never bring myself to understand these accidents...so sad...

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$53.96 (10% off)
$22.46 (10% off)
$53.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook