RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

laurent

Jul 29, 2002, 3:33 AM
Post #1 of 16 (25525 views)
Shortcut

Tape gloves: Pictures wanted!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone has pictures showing how to tape your hands for crack climbing?

metoliusmunchkin

Jul 29, 2002, 4:05 AM
Post #2 of 16 (25522 views)
Shortcut

Tape gloves: Pictures wanted! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, I too am definitely interested in how to create a proper tape glove, as well as the general look of one. Although this may sound odd, I have never actually seen a tape glove in person before, not to mention any really "revealing" or informative pictures of them.

climbingcowboy

Jul 29, 2002, 4:42 AM
Post #3 of 16 (25522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also would like to see this and have an additonal question to add if noone minds, are taped gloves better than leather gloves?

Thanks Geoff

climberchic

Jul 31, 2002, 8:18 PM
Post #4 of 16 (25522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a pair and have made a few myself. I can certainly take digi pictures for you or explain it to you in chat (as I'm sure you'd need clarification).

PM me if ans what you're interested in.

As for how they work better than leather gloves, I don't know. I've never tried them. But tape gloves are cheap, customized to fit your hand, field fixable (hangerlessbolt has a pair that he had for over a year and uses regularly), reusable, and thin/thick enough to suite your needs.

~Erica

rickoldskool

Aug 1, 2002, 12:06 AM
Post #5 of 16 (25522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

laurent, If you want to see
TAPE GLOVES, click on this link:TAPE UP CHILDREN This method is very close to the one I use. I make a new pair every 1-2 years. The photos make the gloves look inconvenient, but they get much better as you use them. Leather gloves would be far too bulky, and hinder your ability to fit your hand in cracks. And, you will probably find it easiest to use 1" wide tape around the fingers. The guy that shot those photos used more tape than I do.

[ This Message was edited by: rickoldskool on 2002-08-01 00:10 ]

millersqu

Sep 1, 2002, 11:32 PM
Post #6 of 16 (25522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rick's method is what i've learned

joemor

Sep 9, 2002, 9:51 PM
Post #7 of 16 (25522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.chockstone.org/TechTips/Glove.htm

another method from an excellent site!

have a look round while your there they have a heap of cool tech tips!

joe

threefox

Sep 9, 2002, 10:48 PM
Post #8 of 16 (25522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

YOu may want to pick up a metolious tape roll. It has a little fold out attached to it that has a nice diagram showing both the glove and how to tape split fingers.

Adam

climberchic

Sep 9, 2002, 11:20 PM
Post #9 of 16 (25522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

joemor~

Great link and great gloves! I use the same method except I put 2 or 3 horizontal strips on the back of my hand bfore starting the finger loops (as demonstrated in rickoldskool's link.

And I've used every kind of tape out there, including metolius. I've found the best, breathable, sweatproof tape was the Johnson & Johnson 1" or 2" first aid tape. I usually get it at REI in the first aid section.

~Erica

pbjosh

Sep 9, 2002, 11:20 PM
Post #10 of 16 (25522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright, speaking from on high on my virtual soapbox I think "tape glove technique" is total cr*p.

Just wrap your hands in tape, it's not as hard as it seems. Granted, you learn some things in so doing - like it's important to cover the fatty area on the back of your thumb and the back of your knuckles. And you learn to put the tape on NOT TOO TIGHT (one good trick is to make a fist when covering the back and splay your fingers when running around the palm, this makes things fit correctly when you're hands flexed in any position more or less). I just start across the back of my knuckles and in like 20 seconds I've done about 3-4 wraps down to the wrist and maybe 2 back up and I'm done.

I've taped up a gazillion times and I think the wrapping strips around your fingers and then down the back of your hand etc etc is a waste of time and tape. I like just a thin layer and personally I'm not keen on the idea of re-using tape gloves, I cut my tape off and chuck it when I'm done.

Now the better way to do things, really, is to not tape. I know this sounds brutal, and it doesn't apply to every situation, but as you learn to crack climb you learn to put your hands in a solid jam and leave them dead still - no fidgeting, no rotating, no resetting, no squirming. Pretty soon you're not tearing yourself up. In return you have more flexibility and creativity with an untaped hand and you're in better shape for super-tight hands jams and ring jams 'cause they're better without tape and the solid fingers and hands sections - hey who needs tape? It's so easy! Now granted, I still tape up sometimes (gnarly fists in particular, or if the rock is really really rough or sharp, or at Indian Creek) but I do not tape up on Granite 95% of the time - at Tahquitz, Jtree, in the Valley, in the Sierra, I go sans tape and am much happier, no sticky nasty hands at the end of the day.

josh

apollodorus

Sep 9, 2002, 11:48 PM
Post #11 of 16 (25522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's better to tape your hands at the crag, and climb in them before trying to take them off. If you make them at home, and don't sweat in them, they are nearly impossible to take off. Another thing that helps is chalking up, then taping.

climberchic

Sep 9, 2002, 11:57 PM
Post #12 of 16 (25522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pbjosh~

How is it a waste of tape to wrap them around your fingers? You throw your gloves away...now THAT is a waste of tape.

It make take a few extra minutes to do the tape glove method, but they are reuseable. All you have to do is slide your hands in, tape them at the wrist and in 10 seconds, you're off. I'd much rather do that then have to tape up every time.

As far as the non-fidgety method, most of us are not full-time bigwallers and even with all the climbing I do, I get all bloodied up after climbing cracks without my gloves. And ok...I can see going without on soft Zion sandstone, but granite??

Crimeny!! That stuff will etch your bones!

~Erica

[ This Message was edited by: climberchic on 2002-09-10 00:00 ]

laurent

Sep 11, 2002, 9:23 AM
Post #13 of 16 (25522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for the tip Rick & Joe.
I'll put that into practice next time and let you know what the results are (and see how reusable that will be).

Laurent.

rocknpowda

Sep 11, 2002, 9:46 AM
Post #14 of 16 (25522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like everything on the Chockstone link except I think your gloves will last longer if you either put the horizontal wraps that come off your thumb under the vertical strips or don't wrap around your thumb at all (that's how mine are). If all you have horizontal strips across the back of your hand, they tend to roll up and make pressure points. Since you are usually pulling out, if all the tape runs flat from your knuckles to your wrist (vertical) then it won't roll up. I've had my tape gloves for a year now and it only takes about foot of tape for each hand now every time I use them-reusable gloves are a big tape and money saver.

Jam On!!

Partner jammer

Sep 11, 2002, 9:50 AM
Post #15 of 16 (25522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out this site http://www.mtntools.com/cat/rclimb/chalkacc/mt_handjammies.htm I use them and save on tape. They are only useful in hand jamming. They do not help with fingerjams.

alan

tradguy

Sep 11, 2002, 10:06 AM
Post #16 of 16 (25522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think what pbjosh is saying is not that he throws his tape gloves away, but that he never truly makes tape "gloves". Rather, he just tapes his hands. Subtle difference, but different, to be sure. I do the same thing. I personally never really liked tape gloves - I prefer the tape to actually stick to the skin on the back of my hand and to be tight. I guess maybe it's because I used to pole vault and was always taping up something, and always had an endless supply of free tape.

Re-taping every day doesn't really use all that much tape either, once you get used to doing it. If I climbed and re-taped every morning for a week, I would probably use a full roll. That's not much, considering that I have a full time job and don't really go climbing places where taping is necessary all that often. I use FAR less tape as a climber than I did in track, or football, or basketball.

Skip the Metolius tape. It's all the same the stuff, for the most part, and it costs about half the price at Walmart. The standard 1.5" stuff is best for the hands, and .5" works well for finger knuckles or to tape for tendon support.

One other tip - store your tape roll in the refrigerator. The dry, cool atmosphere in there keeps the tape from getting crappy and over-sticky.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook