Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Cherokee Bluffs/Devil's Racetrack, TN
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jgoolia41

Oct 30, 2006, 5:30 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1962 views)
Shortcut

Cherokee Bluffs/Devil's Racetrack, TN  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Rock_Canyon: Bolt_Slab_West_Face)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

I am interested in taking a trip to Cherokee Bluffs/Devil's Racetrack, TN next weekend. I have a group of maybe 6 sport climbers ranging from 5.7 to 5.12. Has anyone been to either area? What did you think? Also, does anyone know of any good camping areas or accomodations near these areas? Is there still concern over theft?

Thanks!!

rjtrials

Oct 30, 2006, 6:01 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1962 views)
Shortcut

Re: Cherokee Bluffs/Devil's Racetrack, TN [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have climbed at both. There are climbs for people in those skill/strength ranges, but you should abandon plans to travel to these crags.
They are shite. Except of course, if you are a local and have time/days to waste.

Go to The Obed instead. It has better routes in all difficulty ranges, better camping, better rock, better scenery....

RJ

artmusicsouth

Oct 30, 2006, 6:03 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't go. C. Bluffs is awful (not even worthwhile when I was living in Knoxville) but Devi's isn't bad if you live there.

jgoolia41

Oct 31, 2006, 12:07 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In light of the responses, I think we might try Obed instead or revert to the Red. Thanks for your help!

noell

Oct 31, 2006, 1:28 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you decide to check out the Obed, which by the way, is Awesome!, then you can camp at Del and Marty's campground. It is primative camping, ie bring your own everything (no water, shower, etc.) but very close to climbing areas.

This time of year, the Obed is really good. It's a huge area and often overlooked I think given its proximity to the Red. It has thousands of fantastic sport climbs on rock hard southern sandstone, and walls that face every direction so you can climb there year round. If it's cool, check out Tierany or South Clear. If its warm, hit Y12 or Little Clear. Get your forearms ready for some pumpy climbin'! Welcome to the Steep South!

tellicomtnman

Oct 31, 2006, 1:40 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second the Obed recommendation! South Clear has some great routes, and don't forget to check out the Lily Boulder field if that's your gig too. I had heard a while back that Del and Marty had closed down camping on their property, so consider other options - get a map from the ranger station and check out Alley Ford - a sweet site bout an easy 3 miles in with great features (i.e. tenacious small mouth fishing).

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook