Premier Sponsor:

sugarbaby

Aug 21, 2002, 10:45 PM
Post #1 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Utah - Lake Powell jet ski ban
Report this Post
Can't Post

can you guys believe that they're banning jet skis at lake powell? the whole reason to go there is jet skis and wakeboards!
hopefully they'll come to their senses and lift it. i hope i hope i hope.....
:)

phillycheese

Aug 21, 2002, 10:51 PM
Post #2 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Utah - Lake Powell jet ski ban [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nothing i hear from utah surprises me. wierd state.

atg200

Aug 21, 2002, 10:59 PM
Post #3 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hopefully they'll just drain the freakin lake, and let the canyon begin the million year process of repairing itself.

elvislegs

Aug 21, 2002, 11:16 PM
Post #4 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! ...
oh wait yes I can.

climbinganne

Aug 21, 2002, 11:30 PM
Post #5 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lake powell...ummmm...fake shit, 3.2 beer, just ask woodse...

blacksamba

Aug 22, 2002, 12:47 AM
Post #6 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

about f'ing time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hate those damn things
hate the damn place

fiend

Aug 22, 2002, 1:33 AM
Post #7 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jet skis are the most polluting vehicle on this planet.

Driving a jet ski for one hour will produce the equivalent amount of pollution as driving a new car 100,000 km.

Killing lakes and ocean life is cool though.

climbinganne

Aug 22, 2002, 2:19 AM
Post #8 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whatever...fiend, let's have NO WATER SPORT, fer gawds sake there's nottin better in utah then powell. ever float the putrid lake???....this is our country, stay outta it, i dont frigging get into your relations with niagra....wanna talk...u know where to find me

gisu

Aug 22, 2002, 2:24 AM
Post #9 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was there last summer and thought that the jet skis put on a great show while i was tooling around on a big tour boat. the place is pretty cool anybody see the pic in the newest climbing? i personally don;t find riding a jet ski that fun. if they polute as much as our friend from the north says then i believe that it is a good idea. kayaking the lake was pretty cool also go on the tour of the damb it rocks.

monkey

Aug 22, 2002, 2:37 AM
Post #10 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NO WAY

House boats, ski boats and jet skis belong on lake powell. The damage is done, it's a damned up grand canyon, so what's the problem?

Did you see the picture in the new climbing or rock and ice gallery of somebody climbing one of the killer looking cracks at Lake Powell? That place has serious climbing potential.

In Tahoe you have to use pollution controlled jet skis, makes sense.

wildtrail

Aug 22, 2002, 3:02 AM
Post #11 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

YEEEEAAAAAHHHH!

Steve

justsendingits

Aug 22, 2002, 8:23 AM
Post #12 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Um,climbinganne,Fiend makes a good point!!were you jokeing with him or not?--Some things are more important than Americans having fun. (destroying the planet)

It affects the rest of the world,and Canada being on our border,have reasons to be concerned,does pollution from the U.S. affect the water table in Canada?

Jetskis are all over the lakes in Missouri,I would love to see pollution standards on them here.I think the problem is that the two stroke engine does not burn the mix(gass,oil)effiently enough.Have you ever looked at all the oil that floats in the water next to the engine on a boat?Guess boats should be included also!!

"We don't inherit the planet from our parents,we borrow it from our grandchildren"!!!!(rrradam)

[ This Message was edited by: justsendingits on 2002-08-22 01:24 ]

taxexile

Aug 22, 2002, 9:03 AM
Post #13 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't believe all you green tree-hugging killjoy do-gooders. Jet-skiers have a God-given right to use their vehicles wherever they damn well please. I live half a mile from the coast and I just love being able to hear them from my garden when the wind blows inshore. When I'm swimming, I simply love them yahooing around me. Nobody has the right to interfere with their enjoyment, regardless of the fact that they might spoil that of others.

I just wish I was allowed to use them for target practise.

blacksamba

Aug 22, 2002, 3:14 PM
Post #14 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

monkey has never tried climbing the majority of the hideously waterlogged sandstone of the glen canyon area. I wouldnt suggest doing unless it is of absolute quality. I have pulled enourmous blocks out of the wall just with the pressure of a foot jamb. There is the danger to the belayer as well as the boat you have to use to approach the climb

ben

wildtrail

Aug 22, 2002, 7:05 PM
Post #15 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

taxexil,

I'm not a tree hugger. It is also NOT a right. It is a privilege. Besides, 99.9% of jet-skiers are assholes and have a complete disregard for other boaters on a lake. Not saying you are one of them, but I have rarely seen any that know, or follow, proper boating safety and etiquette. So, if it were up to me, I'd ban the stupid things. Kudos to you if you do follow boating safety and etiquette. The only place I would ban jet-skis (if people who used them were courteous), and that goes for ALL powered watercraft, would be on lakes in National Parks and Preserves. Otherwise, I have no problem with them.

Good example, my cousin has a boat that does about 100. It is called a Hydrostream. Now, the boat is dangerous enough and that is his responsibility, but we have had (more times than I can count) some arrogant jerk on a jet-ski whip in front of us while we were moving at a high rate of speed. Now, this boat is much faster than all jet-skis, that isn't the problem. When this boat is at, or near, full tilt and someone whips in front of it, it creates wake. BIG wake. Which, can be potentially dangerous for this boat. Granted, lakes have waves, but that isn't the problem. The boat is only used on small inland lakes (not too small) when the water is "glassy". These guys have cut within 50 feet while were were in the upper 80s to mid 90s. VERY dangerous. For us, and for the person that does it. The boat does not "steer" at that speed. Gradually, maybe.

I'm just saying that I would ban jet-skis if I could. Well, no I wouldn't. I wouldn't want to take anybody's fun away, but it would be nice if the rest of these jerk offs would follow the .1% of you that know what you are doing!

Hey, jet-skis are fun. I just know how to drive one, and more importantly, I don't cut people off, I have respect, I don't get anywhere near fishermen (that pisses me off, that happens too, to often when fishing), and I KNOW the rules, regulations, and safety of boating.

I think it should be a mutual respect and I don't see it. The majority of boaters follow it, I just wish the jet-ski people would too. Makes it fun for everybody, don't you think?

I'm not being unreasonable here, am I? Wanting everyone to follow rules, safety, and etiquette equally.

Maybe it isn't like that everywhere, but come to Wisconsin. The home of more lakes than any other state in the Union and see what it is like.

Cheers!

Steve

bouldertoad

Aug 23, 2002, 3:14 AM
Post #16 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with all thsoe who said they should be banned or at least limited to those who have at least taken a safety course. I know that on the deleware river you are supposed to have taken a boater safety course and be 16 to operate a motor boat of a certain length(which i cannot remember).

sugarbaby

Aug 28, 2002, 9:16 PM
Post #17 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey i'm not saying they are environmentally correct or that we should save the planet. but banning jet skis won't do any good. they say they pollute. it's the two stroke motors that pollute. why not ban 2strokes? because 75% of the boats are 2 strokes. it just doesn't make sense. people are stupid, and will hurt themselves with or without jet skis. and banning them doesn't make them safer. to do that, make sure people are safe by making them certify or something before they buy them.
it just sucks that they're taking away half the fun and not really fixing anything. if it would really make a difference, do what you gotta do. but it wont.
whatever. what's gonna happen i gonna happen. all i can do is complain.
:)
jenna

atg200

Aug 28, 2002, 9:33 PM
Post #18 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so how is banning terribly polluting machines in a delicate environment not helping environmentally?

justsendingits

Aug 29, 2002, 4:56 AM
Post #19 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Read my post on the last page,I think the boats should be banned also!!!

Partner camhead

Sep 10, 2002, 4:44 PM
Post #20 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sorry. I'm going to rant here. Jet skiis and the stupid Utahns that drive them are just the tip of the iceburg.

LAKE POWELL MUST BE DRAINED!

It is not a matter or 'if', it is a matter of 'when'. The upper end of the lake is becoming inundated with silt from the Colorado (have you ever seen how muddy the Colorado is?), and the lake is filling at quite a rapid rate.

Every year that we putt off draining this is another year of more silt, more concentration of pollutants in the silt, and more of a future MESS for our descendents to cleanup!

Even many of the makers of the dam admit that it was a mistake.

In a philosophical sense, Lake Powell has drowned the very living heart of the canyon country. You like the scenery there? What the hell do you think is under those 700 feet of oily, dirty bathtub water?

I know it sounds cheesy, but I cannot express the pain of floating down a living, flowing river (San Juan, Dirty Devil, Colorado, Escalante), getting to know it for a week or more, and then seeing it die as it hits Lake Powell. Take a river trip in the region and you'll see what I mean.

damn. Okay, I'm done. go check out

www.glencanyon.org
www.drainit.org

thomasribiere

Sep 10, 2002, 6:14 PM
Post #21 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

to ban jetskis all around the planet would be a great idea : no more chemical pollution and no more awful noises. and let's ban formula 1 and indy cars, too!

robscate

Sep 11, 2002, 5:02 AM
Post #22 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ban them until people learn a little Boater Safety!!

on the lines of draining powell. If it is drained, California won't have any more power or water. thousands of people in paige AZ and the area surrounding bullfrog that depend on the lake year-round for lively hood will become destitute, creating a drain on the economy. The damage has already been done, the canyon won't every be restored to it's previous state. Why aren't enviromentalists pushing to drain more of the local reservoirs in California or Nevada????

Partner camhead

Sep 12, 2002, 3:27 AM
Post #23 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The point is, the maximum damage has NOT already been done, and it will not be done until the whole goddamn lake is filled with silt! So why are we sitting on our asses??!!

Interesting you bring up the California matter as well. Turns out that there IS a movement to drain certain not so prudent dams in CA. Furthermore, certain reservoirs in the Sierras have already filled with silt and are OUT of commision. These dams were what brought the matter of Lake Powell's filling up to light, actually.

California does not use any water from Lake Powell, at at least not directly. Its primary purpose is hydroelectricity, of which it provides only a fraction of that produced by the Columbia River system! The total amount of energy that Glen Canyon provides is WELL UNDER 1% of California's total intake (which CA can't even fuc&ing manage, but I digress).

In response to your economic argument, I've just got to say it's high time for Page to start building an economy on DREDGING the old silt from former Lake Powell as soon as it is drained, so that the restoration process will be hastened. I'm sure our government could subsidize this.

-Paul

mountainhardon

Sep 12, 2002, 3:36 AM
Post #24 of 24 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

EWWWWWW
look at me I'm CAMHEAD I can talk about environment stuff with old 1990s rhetoric and think I'm all bad and stuff!

prick.

I can't wait until the lake is full of silt so then I canm ride my fourwheeler around on it cause I don't have a jetski.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook