RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

hdiddy

Nov 3, 2006, 6:59 AM
Post #1 of 14 (4715 views)
Shortcut

Slackdog
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey I'm new at slacking but was curious. Is it possible to set up a slackdog at the end of your line and use a pully system and tighten by pulling against a prussik? Would the dog hold the pressures of the line so you could drop out your pully system and just use the slackdog to hold your line tight. Any help you all could lend would be appreciated!

slacker_jon

Nov 3, 2006, 8:30 AM
Post #2 of 14 (4714 views)
Shortcut

Re: Slackdog [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Exactly - the best way to do it is to put your line into the slackdog before you start tightening so that you know it's not got any twists. Connect your pulleys with a Kliemheist, pull tight and pull the slack through the dog. Now you can release the pressure on your pulleys and you have a knotless line.

In my experience the kliemheist works better if the webbing is first curled around some 11mm rope and for longer/tighter lines I have started to use 2 equalised prussik loops as I had some melting recently.

Partner coldclimb

Nov 3, 2006, 9:28 AM
Post #3 of 14 (4714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey I'm new at slacking but was curious. Is it possible to set up a slackdog at the end of your line and use a pully system and tighten by pulling against a prussik? Would the dog hold the pressures of the line so you could drop out your pully system and just use the slackdog to hold your line tight. Any help you all could lend would be appreciated!

Good thinking for a beginning slacker! It took me someone showing me how to do that trick. ;) Yeah it works, and follow Jon's tips and it'll work better. It CAN go wrong and melt your webbing though. Also, DO think ahead and add a slipknot in one of your anchors so you can release the line when you're done. I've had to cut my anchors a time or two. :oops:

slacker_jon

Nov 3, 2006, 10:43 AM
Post #4 of 14 (4714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Also, DO think ahead and add a slipknot in one of your anchors so you can release the line when you're done. I've had to cut my anchors a time or two.
In reply to:

I've been doing that for a while now and have been meaning to get some photo's to explain the system I've been using... Basically I set up a 6:1 pulley system between steel oval with 9mm static rope and the friction within the system means that after a session I can pop a slip knot and have any line down in minutes. Make sure to tie the slip knot off properly though as I've had one come undone while I was on the line and had to re-tension.

How do you make your quick-release CC?

niles

Nov 3, 2006, 6:55 PM
Post #5 of 14 (4714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use this system for setting up long lines. It works really well...most of the time. I've almost had to cut my anchors a couple times, but managed to get them down w/o. Also, I've had problems with the slackline melting together inside the slackdog (but that was when I attached the pulley system to the tail of the slackdog, and I was using webbing of questionable quality). For the releasable end, I use some knid of load releasing hitch with A LOT of extra rope (depending on how long the line is). Once, I didn't use enough rope on a 200' line and I just had to let it go. The thing shot off like a gun, ended up about 100' away from the anchor, and literally blew up the end of the rope...and that was after letting out about 10' of slack. It was amazing!

Here are a couple pictures of a 320' line where we used that setup. In the first one you can see the slackdog. The white rope a little ways from the anchor is still on the line because it was pretty seriously melted to it. We had to stop tensioning pre-maturely b/c the line melted inside the slack dog. It barely had enough tension to hold me a couple inches off the ground in the center....it was freakin' hard!

http://img.photobucket.com/...klining/IMG_0018.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/...klining/IMG_0016.jpg

Cheers,
Niles

Partner coldclimb

Nov 3, 2006, 7:24 PM
Post #6 of 14 (4714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How do you make your quick-release CC?

Well for the lines I've done it on, a simple overhand slipknot was fine, and then we just yanked the tail to let it go. I can see you'd need a lower-out for lines like Niles is talking there. That's some sweet stuff Casey!

hdiddy

Nov 3, 2006, 9:59 PM
Post #7 of 14 (4714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Niles that 300' footer looks hot!!! I'm working on just standing on the line for now. So you all dont have to worry about excess friction in the slackdog itslef but rather only with your pull point on the line? Also could you just hook up your kliemheist to your line and have the pully system pull the slack from the dog as you pull the line tight, sort of a 2 birds with one stone deal... Back to work on this line, wish me luck!

damianc

Nov 4, 2006, 2:12 AM
Post #8 of 14 (4714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good thinkin', hdiddy. I posted a full description of the method on Slackline Brother's website a few months back. Their website seems to be down right now. I'll post a link when it's back up...

For now, here are my drawings:

To tighten:
http://i36.photobucket.com/.../Figure1modified.jpg

When you're done, all you have left is this:
http://i36.photobucket.com/.../Figure2modified.jpg\

In my experience, the kleimheist is the better knot to use in place of the prusik. Also, it's great to have another Slackdog as shown in the drawing. The great part about this is that you can continue to reset the system over and over again to tighten a line of any length. I used it on a 300+ footer as well. Niles, did you make it across that thing?
http://i36.photobucket.com/...h_Slackline310ft.jpg

niles

Nov 4, 2006, 5:49 AM
Post #9 of 14 (4714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Niles, did you make it across that thing?

Lol. Nope. Like I said, the line melted together, so we had to stop tightening it...which left about 7 feet of slack in the middle. Plus! It was freakin' windy. There's a pretty spectacular video of me falling when the line was whipping up and down 4 feet in both directions and turning me into a wiggling (err. soon to be falling) pile of jello. The guy in the picture and I both got about half way before the line got angry and shut us down.

And now....to make things worse...there's a 3/4" tear in the line....so I probably won't be putting up any 300 footers anytime soon. Lame.

But, props to you! Seeing your video made me want to try a 300' line, and seeing your drawing gave me the tools to do it. So, thanks!

Cheers,
Casey

damianc

Nov 4, 2006, 7:17 AM
Post #10 of 14 (4714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, it's a long ways. I set up a 290 footer the other night and didn't make it across... maybe because it was dark by the time we got it tight; maybe because it wasn't quite tight enough. When I sent the 310 footer, I was walking lines several times a week. I guess I'm just not tuned for it right now. Good luck, man.

slacker_jon

Nov 5, 2006, 3:41 PM
Post #11 of 14 (4714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bummer about your line tearing Niles :( and was that white cord the prussik melted to it?

I rigged a 210' line a month or so back and used 2 lines tensioned independantly then taped and had no problems at all.

I had line damage (but no melting) on slackdog #1 when I tried having the pulleys on the tail of the line. So now I simply over tighten with the pulley on the anchor, and release off the pulleys until the slackdog takes the strain to remove them from the system when I've pulled the excess line through the dog by hand.

I melted a prussick yesterday taking down my third highline though (25' gap, full man, on-sight :D :D). Because it was cold and blowing a gale I decided to put the pulleys onto the main line and a lighty tensioned under line (seperate prussicks) at the same time. Given the length of the gap I didn't think that it would matter too much that I didn't dress the kleimheist very neatly, but it seems I was wrong!

Damian, if we do manage to hook up next summer - we should go and do this gap! Pete did it first and it's very classy, on it's left is one of the hardest trad routes in the UK, Equilibrium. You can see the void on this video of a guy climbing the route:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1272030099

I'll send you a picture when I've had them developed!

Slack on :arrow:

gymslackerclimber

Nov 5, 2006, 4:55 PM
Post #12 of 14 (4714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you guys are crazy~ to think such crazy thoughts to want to walk such long things-- just crazy..

niles

Nov 5, 2006, 5:14 PM
Post #13 of 14 (4714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Bummer about your line tearing Niles :( and was that white cord the prussik melted to it?

Thanks. The white rope is actually my highline tether, which the prusik was wrapped around.

I think I've got a way to take the slackdog completely out of the system. When it starts to warm up again, I'll patch my line and give it a whirl again.

Here's a neat picture of a 210 footer we successfully set up with Damian's method.

http://img.photobucket.com/...ing/210Slackline.jpg

Fun stuff!

slacker_jon

Nov 28, 2006, 6:21 PM
Post #14 of 14 (4235 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coldclimb] Slackdog [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've been doing that for a while now and have been meaning to get some photo's to explain the system I've been using... Basically I set up a 6:1 pulley system between steel oval with 9mm static rope and the friction within the system means that after a session I can pop a slip knot and have any line down in minutes. Make sure to tie the slip knot off properly though as I've had one come undone while I was on the line and had to re-tension.

My mate took a picture of what I was talking about:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oliphant/303012807/

(This post was edited by slacker_jon on Nov 28, 2006, 9:02 PM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook