RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

massbayclimber

Sep 10, 2002, 2:01 PM
Post #1 of 1 (600 views)
Shortcut

ERR ... I hate the weather
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just got back from a trip up to Baxter State Park in Maine. It took seven hours to get there, and we stayed about a quarter mile from Mt. Katahdin. We were a group of about thirty. The first full day we were there we woke up and headed over to this old "dump" to do community service. It wasn't really a dump, but many people used to throw their trash off of the road. It goes down about sixty feet, and the whole side of the hill was COVERED in trash! We started on it and it took about four hours to do this. We pulled up a canoe, a sail from a boat, two car tires, eighteen car mufflers, an engine, a washer/drier, and thirteen trash bags full of tin cans. Don't Litter! It SUCKS! The next day, we woke up at 4:00 and started on the hike up Mt. Katahdin. We took Chimney Pond Trail up to the Great Basin, but when we got there, the weather was VERY cold and very windy. It was a class two at the top, and we didn't go up. We went to Blueberry Knolle instead, which is just a little hill in the Great Basin. By the time we got down, (around eleven a.m.) the weather was very pretty and very hot! We did see a moose and its calf.
The day was still young, so we headed over to this really pretty lake where some of us went out on canoes, but while we were out there, this HUGE gust of wind came and my friends boat was already rocking side to side, and they capsized. They were towed in, but these two girls didn't know how to turn around. They were on the other side of the lake with another canoe, but were stuck in the rocks. So they walked back, and we had to go walk back and tow them in. This was a really fun trip, but the weather messed up our hike.

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook