Forums: Community: Campground:
Brent_e thread 2 (title shortened)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 137 Next page Last page  View All

Partner brent_e

Nov 7, 2006, 9:41 PM
Post #151 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Re: !Alert! Brent_e thread threatens to swamp community!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
and i am not even close to being done with school. i have 3 more years.

So what?

You're on the six year plan? :?

nate, you know why i'm at school for so long.

and if you somehow don't, ask rebecca.

chossmonkey

Nov 7, 2006, 9:41 PM
Post #152 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey David.

I tried calling you but you obviously couldn't pry yourself away from the computer to answer the phone. :roll:

jumpingrock

Nov 7, 2006, 9:44 PM
Post #153 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
Hey David.

I tried calling you but you obviously couldn't pry yourself away from the computer to answer the phone. :roll:

I know. I saw the call and quite deliberately ignored the call. :P

I was on the phone with my mom who is in Italy. Sorry bout that.

chossmonkey

Nov 7, 2006, 9:49 PM
Post #154 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

So what?

It took her less than five years (4year& 4 months) and she had a full year of work terms.

Changing your major doesn't help your cause, but I'd have to think if you were spending more time on your studies on the weekend than hanging out with your dad, changing majors and retaking classes wouldn't be in the equation.

Then agian some people just aren't cut out for University.

Partner brent_e

Nov 7, 2006, 9:52 PM
Post #155 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

So what?

It took her less than five years (4year& 4 months) and she had a full year of work terms.

Changing your major doesn't help your cause, but I'd have to think if you were spending more time on your studies on the weekend than hanging out with your dad, changing majors and retaking classes wouldn't be in the equation.

Then agian some people just aren't cut out for University.

well, i changed my major 3 times, physics, engineering, science.

i also had to basically redo a year. So, in my forth year of school, i'm a second year student.

i'm not cut out for university. I fucking hate it. But I have to get a degree at this point. I have to get something or this whole endeavor was just a waste of time. And i'm trying to do that now.

chossmonkey

Nov 7, 2006, 10:04 PM
Post #156 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Hey David.

I know. I saw the call and quite deliberately ignored the call. :P

I was on the phone with my mom who is in Italy. Sorry bout that.
I see how I rate.

And thats okay.

chossmonkey

Nov 7, 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #157 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
i'm not cut out for university. I f---ing hate it. But I have to get a degree at this point. I have to get something or this whole endeavor was just a waste of time. And i'm trying to do that now.

Sometimes you just need to cut your losses.

You can do three more years of school and hopefully get a degree, then do something totally not what you went to school for. Is that making the most of your situation?

Regardless of what you end up doing if you learn from it, its not a total waste of time.

Posting here is a waste of time. :lol:

Partner brent_e

Nov 7, 2006, 11:14 PM
Post #158 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
i'm not cut out for university. I f---ing hate it. But I have to get a degree at this point. I have to get something or this whole endeavor was just a waste of time. And i'm trying to do that now.

You can do three more years of school and hopefully get a degree, then do something totally not what you went to school for. Is that making the most of your situation?

Regardless of what you end up doing if you learn from it, its not a total waste of time.

i likely won't use the education directly. But having something that says "you're not a moron" like a ticket or diploma is good. everybody has one, yes, but i think i can make the most of it.

granite_grrl

Nov 8, 2006, 12:34 AM
Post #159 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Brent, have you ever though of taking some time off from university and sorting out what you really want to do?

You're so totally focused on getting a degree that you're loosing sight of what else is out there. If you really don't know what you want to do you have to get out there and try different things. I was lucky that I didn't find engineering bad. You're trying different things, but they're just variations on each other.

Partner brent_e

Nov 8, 2006, 3:34 AM
Post #160 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
Brent, have you ever though of taking some time off from university and sorting out what you really want to do?

You're so totally focused on getting a degree that you're loosing sight of what else is out there. If you really don't know what you want to do you have to get out there and try different things. I was lucky that I didn't find engineering bad. You're trying different things, but they're just variations on each other.

sure, i've thought about it. I have also thought that I want to get on with things - get out of school and get a damn job to make some money. I think, honestly, i know what i really want to do. I really want to just design and build things. You know that has always been my passion, which is why i went into engineering. Sadly it didn't work for me, becuase i didn't work for it.

but i don't know how engineering and science are variations? They are totally different, except they are both academic. Working construction every summer for the last 7 years has given me a bit of perspective, too.

chossmonkey

Nov 8, 2006, 4:30 AM
Post #161 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
I have also thought that I want to get on with things - get out of school and get a damn job to make some money.

Isn't it ironic that if you would have just buckled down at the start and really worked hard you would be nearly finished?

With the cycle you are in you are you may likley never get out until you make the commitment to whatever it is you really want to do. You won't do that until you decide what it is YOU really want to do, not mom, not dad, not val, but maybe chossy and GG.

Partner brent_e

Nov 8, 2006, 3:17 PM
Post #162 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I have also thought that I want to get on with things - get out of school and get a damn job to make some money.

Isn't it ironic that if you would have just buckled down at the start and really worked hard you would be nearly finished?

With the cycle you are in you are you may likley never get out until you make the commitment to whatever it is you really want to do. You won't do that until you decide what it is YOU really want to do, not mom, not dad, not val, but maybe chossy and GG.

No, nate, that is not ironic, that is sad. But it's the way it is and I have to deal with that.

:D so what do i want to do, Nate?

redlegrangerone

Nov 8, 2006, 3:24 PM
Post #163 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Enough with as the Brent_e turns already. Can't we talk about fishing or something? :P

kachoong

Nov 8, 2006, 4:10 PM
Post #164 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I think that's the crux of the whole university thing... it shouldn't even matter how well you do, but somehow society bows down the 4.0 GPA... wooo fcuking hoo!! For me it's the experience, the learning how to prioritize, the satisfaction of finishing five projects/essays/exams all done at the same time and knowing I can do it.

I'm lucky enough that I'm doing a masters and don't have to use so many more years to finish... heck, it took me long enough to get around finishing my bachelor. Right now though, I wanna get friggin' done.... I've got a beautiful wife waiting for me and that is plenty fuel for my drive to get this done in two years flat.... maybe 1.75 years.... we'll see.

I know what I want and I guess that's the important thing. For me, it's more important what I want with my life and not what job I want. I at least see my extra education as a bonus towards getting something that resembles a career that I'd like to continue with.

Good luck Brent_e finding your path.

chossmonkey

Nov 8, 2006, 4:46 PM
Post #165 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
:D so what do i want to do, Nate?

Study hard in school and go climbing if you have any extra time after studying.

Or you could finish this semester and go on the road for a while.

Maybe do both.

If school goes well after giving it your 100% attention keep with it and finish it off.

Truthfully if you are really motivated to get it done, a 4 year degree can be done in less time.

My sister did her undergrad and vet school in 7 years. That is noramally a 8 year+ program.

chossmonkey

Nov 8, 2006, 4:50 PM
Post #166 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
Enough with as the Brent_e turns already. Can't we talk about fishing or something? :P

This is the wrong thread for fishing and fabricating. :?

Partner brent_e

Nov 9, 2006, 4:38 AM
Post #167 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:

solidarity, Brother.

:D

what is your thesis on?

Partner brent_e

Nov 9, 2006, 4:39 AM
Post #168 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:

Truthfully if you are really motivated to get it done, a 4 year degree can be done in less time.

yeah, you do it in the summer or you take more classes during the semester or both.

I can't do that. I have to, HAVE TO, work in the summer, and even taking 4 classes a semester gets me stressed out and depressed.

kachoong

Nov 9, 2006, 5:44 AM
Post #169 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

solidarity, Brother.

what is your thesis on?
It'll be something like "Estimating groundwater recharge in upland mesquite rangeland, using soil chloride as an indicator".... I'm also looking at the effects of clearing vegetation on possibly increasing soil moisture in these rangeland areas.
:P ....hey.... you asked.

chossmonkey

Nov 9, 2006, 1:09 PM
Post #170 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

yeah, you do it in the summer or you take more classes during the semester or both.

I can't do that. I have to, HAVE TO, work in the summer, and even taking 4 classes a semester gets me stressed out and depressed.

I think I'm going to let Bec field this one for the most part.

Be happy you are only going for a four year degree. Like I said, my sister did 8+ in 7 and worked a summer job plus weekends durring school. Plus being stressed out and depressed.

Partner brent_e

Nov 9, 2006, 1:16 PM
Post #171 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

solidarity, Brother.

what is your thesis on?
It'll be something like "Estimating groundwater recharge in upland mesquite rangeland, using soil chloride as an indicator".... I'm also looking at the effects of clearing vegetation on possibly increasing soil moisture in these rangeland areas.

sounds cool. i'm taking geology bases courses, too, so this stuff is neat!

chossmonkey

Nov 9, 2006, 2:04 PM
Post #172 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:

Um, I didn't ask. :evil:

:lol:

So you are thinking that clearing vegetation would increase soil moisture? That seems counterintuitive.

Partner brent_e

Nov 9, 2006, 3:41 PM
Post #173 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:

So you are thinking that clearing vegetation would increase soil moisture? That seems counterintuitive.

probably why it's a cool thing to research, though.

Partner booger

Nov 9, 2006, 3:52 PM
Post #174 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Every thesis sounds cool when it's snazzed up with fancy semantics. Basically, he could have written: "Does pulling up weeds make it wetter? I think so..."

(kidding guys!! kudos on the studies!)

Partner brent_e

Nov 9, 2006, 3:59 PM
Post #175 of 3415 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Every thesis sounds cool when it's snazzed up with fancy semantics. Basically, he could have written: "Does pulling up weeds make it wetter? I think so..."

(kidding guys!! kudos on the studies!)

I still don't understand why you didn't say earlier....
it really wouldn't have been hard.

you could have just told me "i'm a chick"

dangit!

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 137 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook