RSS FeedRSS Feeds for World Climbing News

Premier Sponsor:

socialclimber

Oct 25, 2006, 3:57 AM
Post #1 of 6 (53488 views)
Shortcut

Todd Skinner Dies in Rappel Accident:UPDATED
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thursdays San Fransisco Chronicle reports that belay loop failure was the reason Todd Skinner fell. Skinner had ordered a replacment harness but continued to use his old one until it arrived.

There is little detail yet. Associated Press, via The Mercury News reports the accident occurred while skinner was repelling but could not report on the mode of failure. According to information Rock & Ice received, Skinner was rappelling the route Jesus Built My Hot Rod, and was several hundred feet above the base when he suddenly fell. Skinner's rappel device and locking carabiner remained attached to the rope. Climbing partner Jim Hewitt, who was unhurt in the accident, raised the alarm

Todd Skinner is survived by his wife and three children. A memorial will be held this Saturday at the Sinks Canyon Center, in Sinks Canyon, at 3 p.m.

A fund has been set up to assist the family. Donations can be sent to the
Skinner Memorial Fund
Atlantic City Federal Credit Union
704 West Main Street
Lander, WY 82520

View this thread for anecdotes and condolences

ellingwood

Nov 6, 2006, 8:34 PM
Post #2 of 6 (53482 views)
Shortcut

Re: Todd Skinner Dies in Rappel Accident:UPDATED [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to wonder, as strong as these harness's are made, where did his fail. Was it at the stitching, was it dry rot. Never heard this type of failure. what a tragic loss.

Partner philbox

Nov 9, 2006, 11:30 PM
Post #3 of 6 (53482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have to wonder, as strong as these harness's are made, where did his fail. Was it at the stitching, was it dry rot. Never heard this type of failure. what a tragic loss.

Please use the apropriate thread in accidents and injuries forum for discussion on this topic.

stephenreynoso

Nov 11, 2006, 12:39 AM
Post #4 of 6 (53482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree where and how did his harness fail? And If his harness was less than acceptable for climbing, why would someone with his experience take such a risk. In this case it proved to be fatal. You don';t get a second chance. I've only been climbing for 5 years and I always make sure my equipment is good, if not I replace it. Whatever it costs it's not too much when put my life in it's hands. I do understant that it's all man made and there is a chance for failure. Not to get off the point I've read alot about Tod and Paul "Piana" climbs and I cried when I heard the news .I was climbing myself on my birthday Oct 25 When I got back that night. Very sad. But if had a choice I'd want to go doing what I love best Climbing, I'm sur that's how Tod felt..........Stephen

stephenreynoso

Nov 11, 2006, 12:41 AM
Post #5 of 6 (53482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree where and how did his harness fail? And If his harness was less than acceptable for climbing, why would someone with his experience take such a risk. In this case it proved to be fatal. You don';t get a second chance. I've only been climbing for 5 years and I always make sure my equipment is good, if not I replace it. Whatever it costs it's not too much when put my life in it's hands. I do understant that it's all man made and there is a chance for failure. Not to get off the point I've read alot about Tod and Paul "Piana" climbs and I cried when I heard the news .I was climbing myself on my birthday Oct 25 When I got back that night. Very sad. But if had a choice I'd want to go doing what I love best Climbing, I'm sur that's how Tod felt..........Stephen

stephenreynoso

Nov 11, 2006, 12:42 AM
Post #6 of 6 (53482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Forums : Archive : World Climbing News

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook