RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

imcd

Nov 13, 2006, 6:00 PM
Post #1 of 23 (2036 views)
Shortcut

new site feedback
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sorry guys, maybea there is something that I am missing, but I think the new site stinks. when I open the page I get a full screen of blank space and then forums and photos are down at the bottom. I have to scroll down an entire page to do anything. also the opening photo looks smaller and the quality does not seam as good. Viewing photos is the main reason that I use this site

sangiro

Nov 13, 2006, 6:30 PM
Post #2 of 23 (2023 views)
Shortcut

Re: [imcd] new site feedback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
but I think the new site stinks.

That's a pity.

Let's try to help you anyway... Wink

In reply to:
when I open the page I get a full screen of blank space and then forums and photos are down at the bottom. I have to scroll down an entire page to do anything.

What Operating System, browser and screen resolution are you using?

imcd

Nov 13, 2006, 6:40 PM
Post #3 of 23 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sangiro] new site feedback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am ussing windows xp and internet explorer(not sure what version). I am also not sure what resolution my screen is set on, but it is unchanged from what I was ussing before. thats not a lot of information, but if you are able to help that would be great
thanks

chossmonkey

Nov 13, 2006, 6:46 PM
Post #4 of 23 (2009 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sangiro] new site feedback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree as well. This new site is BUNK!

It seems that the ONLY people who seem to like it are the mods. Big suprise there.

There are a couple nice features, but they HARDLEY make up for the short commings.

Can anyone PLEASE help me find the old site?

thomasribiere

Nov 13, 2006, 7:06 PM
Post #5 of 23 (1995 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] new site feedback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

^ didn't you put it in your favorites?

chossmonkey

Nov 13, 2006, 8:04 PM
Post #6 of 23 (1978 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] new site feedback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
^ didn't you put it in your favorites?

nope

Partner j_ung

Nov 13, 2006, 8:21 PM
Post #7 of 23 (1967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

It seems that the ONLY people who seem to like it are the mods. Big suprise there.

There are a couple nice features, but they HARDLEY make up for the short commings.

Nathan, we've been told for months now that this will be an ongoing process. Why not be constructive and give it a chance to play out for a while instead of throwing insults around?

Nov 13, 2006, 8:56 PM
Post #8 of 23 (1956 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by 112 [In reply to]
Report this Post

Partner j_ung

Nov 13, 2006, 9:16 PM
Post #9 of 23 (1948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [112] new site feedback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I disagree a little, but thanks for being civil about it. There certainly are some features I'd like to see back, too, and I'm compiling a list of questions I have.

chossmonkey

Nov 13, 2006, 9:28 PM
Post #10 of 23 (1941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] new site feedback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Nathan, we've been told for months now that this will be an ongoing process. Why not be constructive and give it a chance to play out for a while instead of throwing insults around?

I hope you are right Jay.

But as for now, the more I use the new site the more I dislike it.

I understand this site is a work in progress. I guess I just don't understand why they decided to fix the stuff that didn't need fixing first.

Partner brent_e

Nov 14, 2006, 12:01 AM
Post #11 of 23 (1917 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

agreed...site stinks.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GIVE US THE OLD SITE BACK???

Please!?!?!?

Are there any positive comments to justify keeping this thing here???

I'm certain that the people have spent a lot of time trying to make this thing and make it work, but it just doesn't seem to be as good. Not even close. what can we do to improve this???

(This post was edited by brent_e on Nov 14, 2006, 12:03 AM)

Partner macherry

Nov 14, 2006, 12:25 AM
Post #12 of 23 (1901 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brent_e] new site feedback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

change is change. we all get attached to what is familiar!!!

i would like to see images back on to posts.

what about supporting members.............why can we see ads? Or will supporting members eventually be done away with.

the funny thing about the whole, "this new site now sucks and i'm taking home my toys and not playing anymore" peeps, It's just a format, the game remains the same. It's sad really, that folks would leave over a new format. give it a chance.

jakedatc

Nov 14, 2006, 12:49 AM
Post #13 of 23 (1895 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brent_e] new site feedback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

my 2cents (they are large cents...)

* embedded images.. please. (a point should be made that the FAQ of the Photo Critique Forum used to say to ONLY embed images so it would run more smoothly)

* Names associated with quotes.. whats the point without it?

* better icons for new posts in threads.. they look all the same (the red on the forums and IN threads is great..) any way of getting similar under thread titles.. or at least more different color icon

* Jump to the last new post.. this is especially helpful in our Mass Climbers thread (and eventually all the similar partner threads) it makes no sense to have it send you to the first post

* Show newest thread on forums page.. who cares if J_ung posted something new if i dont know what he posted about.. for all i know i already looked at it since the the icons don't change

* like Granite Grl said.. the non-annonymous photo voting system is going to be a VERY bad idea.. reflects back to the "user rating" stuff that just got ugly

* minor but i wish the new videos section was in Quicktime instead of WMP.. just seems to work better through browser updates and across PC/MAC better

* lack of friends list.. so much easier to find who you want to PM or find a picture taken by this way

* some way of getting back out to the forums or home at the bottom of the page..

the major push has been increased load speed.. however alot of things have changed that reduce browsing speed.. which makes for good numbers on paper but poor actual user speed. I figured alot of these things would have been picked up during testing.. "hey.. it's freaking annoying and slow to get from A-B from C" or whatever

i'll put what i do like in Fracture's thread

(This post was edited by jakedatc on Nov 14, 2006, 1:03 AM)

kricir

Nov 14, 2006, 1:06 AM
Post #14 of 23 (1886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the little bar on you profile where you can reduce your climbing ability to a neat little table of numbers. It only goes up to 5.15d, which is too bad because I totally sent a 5.16a yesterday Cool

(This post was edited by kricir on Nov 14, 2006, 1:07 AM)

caughtinside

Nov 14, 2006, 1:38 AM
Post #15 of 23 (1870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Hey Jay,

i'm going to have to go in the 'the new site stinks' camp, at least for now. Seriously, it took like what, a year? to come up with this new site? What are the advantages again? It works? well, that's just great. All the nice features about the old site are gone, at least for the moment.

Really, who thought it would be a good idea to take photos out of the forum, remove the drop downs, and remove the link to the last post of the thread?

Minimal visual appeal as well.

sorry to be negative, but after all the time and some of the hype, I expected, I dunno... a cool website?

oh yeah, and it is a huge pain in the ass to record an ascent now. why is it mandatory to rate and grade every climb? dumb.

(This post was edited by caughtinside on Nov 14, 2006, 1:40 AM)

duracellbunny

Nov 14, 2006, 2:31 AM
Post #16 of 23 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love it.......Wink

Partner brent_e

Nov 14, 2006, 2:48 AM
Post #17 of 23 (1850 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] new site feedback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

i would like to see images back on to posts.

what about supporting members.............why can we see ads? Or will supporting members eventually be done away with.

the funny thing about the whole, "this new site now sucks and i'm taking home my toys and not playing anymore" peeps, It's just a format, the game remains the same. It's sad really, that folks would leave over a new format. give it a chance.

familiar, yes, I have to agree with you. And things are getting a bit easier. But I don't think they are as streamlined as on the former rc. The way we could view our old posts, the way we could see who the last poster on a thread is, etc seem to be a simpler way.

chossmonkey

Nov 14, 2006, 2:57 AM
Post #18 of 23 (1842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] new site feedback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Change can be good, but in this case it seems like the change was a step backwards.

The game is NOT the same. The game has changed. RC.com is not the same as it was. Most of the features that made this site fun are gone.

Open your eyes people, its not the new format, its the lack of function in the new format that is turning people off. The more I use this new site the more I dislike it.

I'm sorry that this was over a year in the making, but regardless of the effort put into it, the time spent on it doesn't always equate to the quality of the outcome. You can have the most talented people doing whatever, but if they are misdirected by the powers that be it doesn't matter how good they are, and how hard they try, they WILL come up short.

To me this site is more fucked than the old one. On my first visit to the site (trying to keep and open mind) I had a slow load time, then after looking through the site some and typing up a post, the damn site made my computer lock up! The old site may have been slow and would lose your posts, but it never made our computer choke. It had something to do with the spellcheck and happend two for two at different times.

I really do hope that this site turns out to be better than the old one. But to me there is still a very long way to go. Until then I'll be taking my toys and playing elsewhere.

ter_bee

Nov 14, 2006, 3:03 AM
Post #19 of 23 (1836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow, i guess you haven't lost the whiners!

i'd like to thank ddt and all the rest for all their hard work. some things are worse, but some bits here are really cool! i dig my new gamma distribution of routes, and the subdivision of the "community" forum, and the OPTION (i don't believe it's mandatory) to give routes more detailed ratings. i also haven't had any problems loading pages. and i'm sure there's even more i haven't noticed yet.

my guess is that most of these folks have no idea how much work is involved in a transition like this. (i live vicariously through my intranet -running friend, so i have a tiny clue.) so chin up, boys & girls. ya did good, and i'm sure there will be improvements to come. last post links, embedded photos, and on and on until all the whiners have left to talk about is how the smileys suck.

Pirate dude! a pirate! i LOVE THIS SITE!

(This post was edited by ter_bee on Nov 14, 2006, 3:05 AM)

Partner j_ung

Nov 14, 2006, 2:41 PM
Post #20 of 23 (1800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

YET AGAIN I want to point out that the purpose of the changeover was to create a foundation for the new RC.com -- one that was scaleable and moldable. Now we have that and we can begin to give feedback on what we like and what we want to see change.

Nathan, we were promised that this is when the real work would begin and that it would be a process. Despite this fact, you and others seem to think you're entitled to have everything perfect right now.

Please help or please stay out of the way.

Respectfully,
Jay

Partner brent_e

Nov 14, 2006, 3:33 PM
Post #21 of 23 (1782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
YET AGAIN I want to point out that the purpose of the changeover was to create a foundation for the new RC.com -- one that was scaleable and moldable. Now we have that and we can begin to give feedback on what we like and what we want to see change.

Nathan, we were promised that this is when the real work would begin and that it would be a process. Despite this fact, you and others seem to think you're entitled to have everything perfect right now.

Please help or please stay out of the way.

Respectfully,
Jay

thanks for these words, Jay. I was thinking in the beginning that we got what we got but i'm glad that you clarified this.

uasunflower

Nov 14, 2006, 3:44 PM
Post #22 of 23 (1773 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

couple of negative feedbacks i came up with after quick use today, there sure are many more...

- old sigs gone
- no 'forums answered to' list anymore to facilitate navigation
- we can't see anymore who answered last to the forum - better to see this than who originally created the forum, if not possible to see both...
- seeing last page of the forum is painful even after modifying the settings (i.e. if you use watched threads feature)
- where is the trip report forum?
- old links for forums don't work, where can i find my old trip reports for example?
- no button to see all the posts for the particular user (see previous question - i wanted to find my trip reports but couldn't even see all my posts anywhere...)
- graphics suck - and YES, graphics matter as you have to look at them all day long while posting...i.e. why not keep the old logo instead of using a basic square box that makes you think of a corporate consulting firm, not a hobby-oriented, fun site?
- no more color/size options while replying to a forum?
- this site previously was best reputed for its images quality. Now the image on the front page takes up very few space and is lost with all the other crap around... a pity!
- new forums replied to are also lost on the bottom of the front page...
(not mentioning embeded images, partnerlist and numerous other issues)...

in conclusion, guys, couldn't you pay a marketing major during a day to give you all this BASIC feedback about your product before going live? In my mind the site feels basically very selfishly made by a couple of people without taking any slightest consideration for the needs and wishes of the majority of the people here and not thinking enough about the appearances...

I sincerely hope you will consider feedback and make changes or go back to the old version, otherwise you might loose this game.

Partner philbox

Nov 14, 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #23 of 23 (1734 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uasunflower] new site feedback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Trip reports will now be under the articles section of the site where embedded images are currently allowed. Trip reports definitely work soooo much better when images are included. We hope that the articles section becomes much more prominent and would be considered to be a magazine of sorts which is constantly updated by user input. Thus the reasoning behind sending trip reports to that section of the site.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook