RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

ballpointpenner

Nov 21, 2006, 1:59 AM
Post #1 of 4 (936 views)
Shortcut

avoiding long term injury
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all,

I wanted to post this in the injuries and accidents forum, but it doesn`t seem to be accessible right now, so I`m posting it here. Basically, my question is this:

Most repetitive strain activities invovle some serious long term health risks. Many guitarists develop arthritis, for example, runners can wreck their knees, etc. Because of this fact, people have found ways of doing these activities in such a way as to minimize the aforementioned risks. Given this information, what are the long term health risks that are involved in climbing, and how can I avoid them?

[I am particularly, though not exclusively, interested in the finger joints, as, though I am still young, I do have arthiritis in my family.]

Thank you for reading, and for any insights that you may have into this matter -- which I think is pretty important.

- Bpp

organic

Nov 21, 2006, 2:39 AM
Post #2 of 4 (922 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ballpointpenner] avoiding long term injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey all,

I wanted to post this in the injuries and accidents forum, but it doesn`t seem to be accessible right now, so I`m posting it here. Basically, my question is this:

Most repetitive strain activities invovle some serious long term health risks. Many guitarists develop arthritis, for example, runners can wreck their knees, etc. Because of this fact, people have found ways of doing these activities in such a way as to minimize the aforementioned risks. Given this information, what are the long term health risks that are involved in climbing, and how can I avoid them?

[I am particularly, though not exclusively, interested in the finger joints, as, though I am still young, I do have arthiritis in my family.]

Thank you for reading, and for any insights that you may have into this matter -- which I think is pretty important.

- Bpp

Take up checkers you wimp.

overlord

Nov 21, 2006, 8:46 AM
Post #3 of 4 (896 views)
Shortcut

Re: [organic] avoiding long term injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ALWAYS warm up before and cool down and stretch after climbing.

work on opposing muscles (triceps, finger extendors...).

that would be about it. its not exactly rocket science.

sidepull

Nov 21, 2006, 8:08 PM
Post #4 of 4 (834 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] avoiding long term injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

don't do any of the exercises mentioned in collegekids' thread on finger exercises:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1467972;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook