RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

kriso9tails

Sep 11, 2002, 8:02 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2462 views)
Shortcut

delayed soreness
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'd imagine this is not uncommon, but I just started getting back into things, and I find that the day after I climb I'm fine, but the day after that I tense up and the muscles in my neck and back in particular get really sore. Do the rest of y'all have this delay (40+ hrs), or is this from something else?

climbingjunky

Sep 11, 2002, 8:21 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2462 views)
Shortcut

delayed soreness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure about you, but i usually get sore the next day. I would suggest stretching before and after climbing, on and after the day of climbing to reduce the effects of soreness.

atg200

Sep 11, 2002, 8:45 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am also always a little sore the next day, and then really sore the day after. By the third day I am usually fine.

Tequila helps.

thomasribiere

Sep 11, 2002, 8:52 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

same like atg200. I really don't know why. I always do stretching ; this is essential but not the definitive solution.

Pot doesn't help, even if good!

cloudbreak

Sep 11, 2002, 9:01 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is AGE my friend. I've started noticing the same sequence over the past couple of years myself.

wlderdude

Sep 11, 2002, 9:15 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I hear ya.
I am not sure why, but I too often get more sore the 2nd day than the day right after. I have noticed, though, that this usually happens when I exercize infrequently.

Which means, most of the time.

But on a trip or something, it is great because you can keep going until you take a day off! (just kidign)

katydid

Sep 11, 2002, 11:49 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Delayed soreness is okay. Instant soreness is bad.

Delayed soreness happens for a couple of reasons. If it's the next day, it's usually the microtears in your muscles that are your body's way of starting to build more (muscles, that is; not microtears). Same as when you've lifted weights in the gym and you're sore the next day. Because the only load you're bearing when you're climbing is your own body weight, you don't technically need to take the next day off, but it's probably advisable to do so -- that way the microtears don't turn into "big" tears.

What you're describing, though, sounds like lactic acid buildup in your muscles, which is natural for anaerobic activity (e.g. bouldering). To avoid this, make sure you're drinking lots and lots of non-caffeinated, non-alcoholic fluids (clear pee = well-hydrated pee) before, during and after activity. Also make sure that you cool down after you climb -- walk around a bit, make sure your heart rate's coming back down, and have a good stretch, especially in the areas that seem to get tight more than others.

Instant pain is the stuff you've got to worry about: that's a strained or torn muscle, and you need to stop right away or you will injure the muscle more. Ice it, compress it (tensor bandage), and get to your doctor if it's really bad. Muscle tears are nothing to trifle with, and can scar if they're not treated properly afterwards.

Hope this helps,

Kate
Queen of Sports Injuries

jt512

Sep 12, 2002, 1:44 AM
Post #8 of 11 (2462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm no expert on this, but I have read that delayed soreness (onset more than 24 hours post-exercise) indicates a lack of recovery. It's not a bad thing per se, but you should wait until the soreness goes away completely before climbing again to allow your muscles to fully recover.

-Jay

acrophobic

Sep 12, 2002, 2:54 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just went to the gym for the first time in 2 years with friends and did a chest workout... oh my (&*^#*& god.. I was sore for a week.

Basically it is your body repairing the tears, and telling you not to use them untill they are healed.. the more you use them, the less recovery time you will have. after you start climbing again, you will find you wont even hurt the next day anymore.

jeffers_mz

Sep 16, 2002, 5:14 AM
Post #10 of 11 (2462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let's see, from memory, how bad I can screw this up...

When exercising, the muscles burn glycogen for fuel, blood sugar, give or take, and the by-product is lactic acid. The better shape you're in, the better your lactic acid transport is, i.e. it doesn't just build up in muscle tissue but it hauled away to locations unknown.

In the earlier days of an exercise regime, the transport isn't very efficient, and the residual lactic acid causes muscle soreness. The figures I seem to remember is that the soreness will ramp up and peak 36 hours after maximum exercise intensity, so if you hit it hard in the afternoon, it would appear to skip a day.

indigo_nite

Sep 16, 2002, 6:54 AM
Post #11 of 11 (2462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

think the term for it is delayed onset muscle fatigue. used to volunteer at a physical therapy clinic and heard it there. maybe you could do a google search or ask a physical therapist friend.

hits me 1-2 days after. it's ok - then I rest.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook