Premier Sponsor:

remi

Nov 23, 2006, 7:23 PM
Post #1 of 4 (442 views)
Shortcut

Mr. Harper goes to China
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's the story in a nutshell...our new(ish) PM caused a bit of a diplomatic kerfuffle by, shock, raising the human rights issue with the Chinese who subsequently snubbed him. The prevailing view in our national press is that this was foolish, he's pissed them off, all our careful trade relations are ruined.

Why if we pride ourselves on being such principled, upstanding folk are we getting our knickers in a twist? What the hell...where else are the Chinese going to buy their coal, metals, oil and other value added products that we ship them? Perhaps they will not sell us VCRs and plastic crap anymore.

Anyways, I think kudos to one of our PMs for once taking a stand on something...despite what all the big shots might be saying.

R

The link is to a commentary article..

http://www.cbc.ca/...insman/20061118.html

(This post was edited by remi on Nov 23, 2006, 7:25 PM)

blondgecko

Nov 23, 2006, 9:54 PM
Post #2 of 4 (433 views)
Shortcut

Re: [remi] Mr. Harper goes to China [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A stand-up guy, that. If only more leaders would stand up for human rights that way... as it is, he's left out in the cold, which is a sad indictment on the world.

That's not to say that China doesn't have some big, big problems that can only be solved by treading into some moral minefields.

As I posted here after my visit there last year, I am entirely in support of the principle of the one-child policy, if not the methods of its execution. In my mind, it's the only remotely ethical remedy to the criminally insane policies of Mao, which kicked off the stupendous, uncontrolled population growth seen in the latter half of the 20th century (between 1953 and 1964, the population increased by 112 million or 20%) leading to the vast overpopulation, unemployment and squalid conditions seen throughout the country.

Of course, there are many other practices of the current Chinese government (Tibet being an obvious example) which, in a just world, would lead to their imprisonment and trial in an international court. They still have a long way to go.

petsfed

Nov 24, 2006, 8:33 PM
Post #3 of 4 (409 views)
Shortcut

Re: [remi] Mr. Harper goes to China [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its a real pity that the economic realities of the world require us to do business with people we wouldn't let watch our kids. Unfortunately, money (or the ability to make money) is power, which means china's got the whole world by the short hairs. Without them, our economic system would be in for a major overhaul. Thanks to them, the economies of the western world function. Shitty deal eh? America's primary export seems to be middle management. Is canada in a similar state?

remi

Nov 27, 2006, 11:19 AM
Post #4 of 4 (375 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Mr. Harper goes to China [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We are hewers of wood and drawers of water in large part...

Like you say, China has money and therefore power. If we're willing to send people to die in Afghanistan for these principles why is it so hard to raise the issue with China?

Also I know I'm guilty of this but we all bash the US for prisoner abuses etc. There's a lot of vitriol directed at America. However if we're going to do that let's cast the net a little wider and start pointing the finger at some other govt's. The US is easy to criticize they're probably the only ones who are open to change.

R

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$120.02 (10% off)
$3.56 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook