Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Wright's Lake area beta-- Near Sacramento
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

fitzontherocks

Nov 29, 2006, 5:06 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2828 views)
Shortcut

Wright's Lake area beta-- Near Sacramento  (North_America: United_States: California: Sacramento_Area)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A friend has offered me the use of a cabin on Wright's Lake, about 60 miles west of Sacramento and I'm curious about the climbing near there. His photos show a couple of likely looking walls and he told me he's seen climbers about. Anybody know about this beautiful area? The name of the crags? Routes? Anything? Buehler? Thanks.

mrtropy

Nov 29, 2006, 5:43 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2812 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fitzontherocks] Wright's Lake area beta-- Near Sacramento [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Supertopo guide to South tahoe

mattyj

Nov 29, 2006, 5:58 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2807 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fitzontherocks] Wright's Lake area beta-- Near Sacramento [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The only cliff I know of thats walking distance from the lake is listed in the South Lake Tahoe supertopo. A few 10s and mostly 11+, although you can walk to the top and set topropes for most of them. The cliff is visible from the lake, and your friend probably knows the access trail well since its a popular hike for locals. Recommend "The Prow".

The lake is a short drive from Phantom Spires (distinctive spires on a ridgeline next to the old Wright's Lake Road - your friend should know what these are) - and a slightly longer drive from Lover's Leap (both are in falcon guide and supertopo, in case you're not from NorCal). All 3 crags are predominently trad. IMO, its much nicer to stay at a cabin there and drive to any of these crags than to camp. Maybe I'm biased since my family has a cabin up there too.

Was up there last weekend, but I think its now closed till summer due to snow. Generally the leap and phantom spires are clear of snow well before the forest service opens the gate at the lake.

Of course Desolation Wilderness has some spectacular hiking and scrambling, and WL provides great access to it. If you have any idea what lot # your friend has, send me a PM.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook