Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Red Rocks of Florence, AL
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

rubberneck

Jul 8, 2004, 8:20 PM
Post #1 of 11 (17825 views)
Shortcut

Red Rocks of Florence, AL  (North_America: United_States: Alabama: Northern: Red_Rocks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does know how to get there? There are not any directions in the route database nor have i been able to find anything anywhere else about it. Also if anyone knows of any other climbing/bouldering in or around Florence please let me know.

sithudson22

Apr 2, 2006, 3:54 AM
Post #2 of 11 (17823 views)
Shortcut

Re: Red Rocks of Florence, AL [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This area is located on hwy 247 (in Colbert County AL) that connects hwy 72 to hwy 24 like you are headed toward Red Bay AL. I saw where this person had posted this about Red Rocks of Florence, but I could not find any info on the area until two guys told me about an area called Red Rocks on 247 in Tuscumbia AL. A bell went off in my head that is the area this person was talking about. The rock looks awesome it has a reddish tent! I have wanted to stop and hike up to the rock but there are no trespassing signs everywhere. I would encourage any one in the area to at least drive by and check it out from the road it's great! I have recently found out the land is owned by a lawyer that works in Tuscumbia AL. The cliff line starts about 1-2 miles on the right after you pass the North Alabama speedway if you are headed south on 247 toward Red Bay. To the best on my knowledge this area has also never been climbed either!

hsvclimber

May 26, 2006, 5:01 PM
Post #3 of 11 (17823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It has been climbed on all the way back to the 1970's. There are several bolted routes there (about 1-2 dozen), we put up back in the 90's (5.9-5.12 most in the 11-12 range) at the area you are speaking of and back in the 80' some guys bolted several routes at a different area that is currently closed (the land owner didn't like them bolting). The land owner used to be OK with us climbing there back in mid - late 90's when I still lived in Red Bay, however I haven't climbed there or checked the status in several years. The access was never with the cliff owner (at that particular area) it was the land owners between the road and cliff. The owner that used to let us cross his land owned the two houses past the big house with the pasture that the cliff overlooks. I believe his last name was "Scott" but I might be mistaken, real nice guy if you just go talk to him. Really cool routes and rock, most of the best climbing is actually on the back side you can't see from the road. That whole area from there about 4 more miles to the south (along and off 247) has miles and miles of cliff line that is all owned by private owners (I have walk the majority of it, would be really cool to get opened), the area you are talking about isn't even the best area. Its just the easiest and only we were ever able to get access. All the others are long back country bushwhacks, most cross hunting land (better wear you orange during dear season) and even if its not hunting seasion you may run into a land owner with a shotgun. If you check into the access and its still cool to climb there give me a PM and I'll come show you around. The last time I went there was probably 2003 and I hadn't been there since probably 2001 before that but there were new top anchors (no new routes) when I went in 2003 so someone had been climbing there after we all moved after high school (1995-1997).

holdeddie

May 26, 2006, 6:52 PM
Post #4 of 11 (17823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a climber and I live in Florence. I have driven by the cliff and looked at it a bunch. I hiked up to one of the neighboring cliffs. I actually am very good friends with the land owners (the one in the big brick house) cousin. I am planning on talking to him soon, but i do not know what to say...
I would love to see the area get opened climbing looks great and access is easy... :D

nateruff

Nov 29, 2006, 7:31 PM
Post #5 of 11 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hsvclimber] Red Rocks of Florence, AL [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hi.i was reading your post on red rocks in tuscumbia. i grew up in the area, have climbed there once. i went back there almost a year ago to scout it out again and maybe work on getting access. i contacted the owner who is developing this area currently. he is an insurance sales man with statefarm in muscle shoals now. i spoak to him on the phone. got the secc involved. he is not ok with opening the area now. this was a year ago however when i began the negotiations. its a cool place to climb. not many on that side of the state open to climbing. nate

brian_h

Sep 17, 2010, 9:18 PM
Post #6 of 11 (16310 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nateruff] Red Rocks of Florence, AL [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It would be really neat to know if any progress was ever made with this. I am a native of Florence and this would be awesome to check out.

brian_h

Dec 18, 2012, 9:51 AM
Post #7 of 11 (15475 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brian_h] Red Rocks of Florence, AL [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There's another area about 2 miles south of the Hwy. 247/Red Rock Rd intersection, starting at GPS 34.656581,-87.892771 and going SW from there. Literally about 2-3 linear miles of vertical+ sandstone cliffs from 25 to 70-ish feet and scattered boulders on both the northern and southern faces. Really beautiful. Lots of potential, although it looks like it would be mostly harder stuff. But I can't climb hard stuff yet, so what do I know. There are a small handful of bolted routes, but I don't know how long ago they were put up.

The only top access I found was via the ridge tip at the above coordinates or a couple of places on the north face. I haven't looked at property maps, but on the northern side there are horse trails that likely belong to Seven Springs Lodge, located on Mt. Mills Rd. to the southwest.

I've heard limited beta on Red Rock proper, but I was just scouting around when I found this area. Anybody know anything else about it?

Pounds3116

Jan 13, 2013, 10:02 PM
Post #8 of 11 (15285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We're you able to get to the bottom of the cliff from the GPS point given? I will likely do some scouting over there this week. Any other info would be appreciated. Looking for bouldering and routes in this general area. Any locals on here have beta for the area? Seems like there is lots of rock.

brian_h

Jan 14, 2013, 7:04 AM
Post #9 of 11 (15247 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Pounds3116] Red Rocks of Florence, AL [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, that's where the cliffline rises out of the surrounding contour. You can scramble up a short face to the top or walk down to both north and south faces.

It's hard to get beta on Red Rocks. People are quiet about it, for good reason. I certainly don't want to start spraying about it in climbing rags, but I would just like to hear some dialogue from other locals. Better yet, it would be cool to meet up with somebody who's familiar with the area. I'm doing some homework to find out if these areas can be opened.

The closest bouldering/short toprope spot is on the northern tip of Colbert Heights Mountain. Also some good (but difficult) face climbing on Lagrange Mountain.

(This post was edited by brian_h on Jan 14, 2013, 7:08 AM)

dave9

Feb 17, 2013, 7:45 PM
Post #10 of 11 (15086 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Brian:

I am an architect in Sheffield and have a problem
to solve that needs the help of climbers.

Please, give me a call at 256-3831364.

Thanks

David

miles11687

Jun 6, 2016, 5:44 PM
Post #11 of 11 (12102 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rubberneck] Red Rocks of Florence, AL [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys. I just heard about Red Rocks. Have there been any developments?? I really want to start training hard and getting back on some rock locally. Please post, PM, or contact me on my cell if you would like to share any info or would like a climbing/bouldering buddy!
Miles (251) 391-8018

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook