Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Obed Lilly Boulders - BETTER TOPO AVAILABLE
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

local_obed_freak

Nov 30, 2006, 7:50 PM
Post #1 of 1 (2662 views)
Shortcut

Obed Lilly Boulders - BETTER TOPO AVAILABLE  (North_America: United_States: Tennessee: Eastern: Obed--Lilly_Boulders)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all,

I live a few minutes from Lilly and I boulder there often. Nearly every time I am there, I see one or more groups of people wandering around and looking bewilderedly at their Dr. Topo guide... turning it this way and that, trying to figure it out. With all due respect to the hard work of those involved with creating that guide, I have to say that it has needed to be improved for many years. Also, many of the problem names and ratings vary from what I have observed as "commonly accepted" over the years.

Myself and some local climbers organized a comp at Lilly in Nov of 2005, and longtime local climber Kelly Brown made a guide for it. I've attached it here, but sometimes attachments don't work here...
You can also download it at https://docs.google.com/...c0OGE4Nzkz&hl=en that's Google Docs so click the "file" on the left and "save original"
(*note* it's a multi-page .tif file, so you need to figure out how to look at or print the different pages depending on what app you're using to view it. All the pages are there. The easiest way to print it from Windows is just right-click on the file and choose print)
It's hand-drawn and not all slick, but I believe it's a lot easier to orient yourself with, and ratings are more accurate. It doesn't have descriptions or beta of problems though, so newcomers would probably benefit from using this and the Dr. Topo map together.

And keep your eyes open for the new guidebook to the Obed coming soon from Kelly Brown, will have the boulders with photos and lots of info.

Good luck everybody, and be safe,
Erik athe Obed
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Obed-River-Hostel/116139565101807

(This post was edited by local_obed_freak on Jan 31, 2011, 10:15 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook