First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

madriver

Dec 4, 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #1 of 34 (2244 views)
Shortcut

what is Christmas?
Report this Post
Can't Post

So a local radio station is promoting a "Non-denominational Christmas Concert". Huh? Uhhhh... I always thought Christmas was the celibration of Christs' birth. So how the hell can it be a "Non-denominational Christmas Show". I can understand a "Holiday Concert", but by advertising it as "Non-denominational" I find it offensive. Christmas is a religious Holiday, if you want to celibrate the Holiday Season, fine, but Christmas is and always will be the celebration of the baby Jesus birth. Don't try and hide the fact that it is a Christian celebration.

hangerlessbolt

Dec 4, 2006, 10:08 AM
Post #2 of 34 (2241 views)
Shortcut

Re: [madriver] what is Christmas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Non-denominational is a term used to indicate the absence of a single dogmatic doctrine.

IOW...not Baptist, not Pentecostal...etc

Still Biblically based...without the 'fluff'

zip_ty

Dec 4, 2006, 10:10 AM
Post #3 of 34 (2241 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is that the same thing as a Non-Denominational church? From what I understand non-denominational doesn't mean non-religious. Then again maybe I'm way wrong.

Edit: Dang you're fast hanger!

(This post was edited by zip_ty on Dec 4, 2006, 10:12 AM)

cintune

Dec 4, 2006, 10:12 AM
Post #4 of 34 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zip_ty] what is Christmas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's the Winter Solstice. The real reason for the season.

Partner macherry

Dec 4, 2006, 10:14 AM
Post #5 of 34 (2229 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cintune] what is Christmas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

festivus

jumpingrock

Dec 4, 2006, 11:02 AM
Post #6 of 34 (2212 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] what is Christmas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Christmas is actually a pagan festival stolen by the Christians in order to help "convert" all those pagan barbarians. To those of us who don't believe that some dude is worth celebrating, Christmas is a celebration of family and buying shit for people.

lisamariewillbe

Dec 4, 2006, 11:08 AM
Post #7 of 34 (2207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jumpingrock] what is Christmas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Christmas is actually a pagan festival stolen by the Christians in order to help "convert" all those pagan barbarians

UHHHH NO. Its to celebrate christs birth. Although he was born earlier probably. The pagan in christmas of modern day is the tree. The christmas tree is a pagan idea but christmas is not

kachoong

Dec 4, 2006, 11:11 AM
Post #8 of 34 (2207 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cintune wrote:
It's the Winter Solstice. The real reason for the season.
Not down under. In the southern half of the globe, Christmas is a time to wonder why the heck Santa has so many friggin' clothes on when he should be at the beach.

chanceboarder

Dec 4, 2006, 11:16 AM
Post #9 of 34 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jumpingrock wrote:
Christmas is actually a pagan festival stolen by the Christians in order to help "convert" all those pagan barbarians. To those of us who don't believe that some dude is worth celebrating, Christmas is a celebration of family and buying shit for people.
No it's not. Christmas was invented by manufactures and merchants around world just to sell us their crap. It's about the all mighty dollar. Wink

Jason

wjca

Dec 4, 2006, 11:16 AM
Post #10 of 34 (2196 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] what is Christmas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
festivus

After the airing of the greviences last year, Marge pinned me when we wrestled. Last year was greco roman. But not this year. No. This year I've been doing a lot of butt crunches, because this is the year of the indian leg wrestle. You're going down, lady. DOWN I SAY!!

Festivus is for the rest of us.

(This post was edited by wjca on Dec 4, 2006, 11:18 AM)

clausti

Dec 4, 2006, 11:22 AM
Post #11 of 34 (2188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a couple of others have already said, "non denominational" does not mean non-religous. it means non-sectarian, in that there will not be a distinctoin between the various 'denominations" of the christian church.

although the catholics usually get left out, since the non-denoms are usually protestant events.

examples of denominations: all the different presbyterian, all the different babtists, methodist, ect.

robbovius

Dec 4, 2006, 11:41 AM
Post #12 of 34 (2175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

madriver wrote:
So a local radio station is promoting a "Non-denominational Christmas Concert". Huh? Uhhhh... I always thought Christmas was the celibration of Christs' birth. So how the hell can it be a "Non-denominational Christmas Show". I can understand a "Holiday Concert", but by advertising it as "Non-denominational" I find it offensive. Christmas is a religious Holiday, if you want to celibrate the Holiday Season, fine, but Christmas is and always will be the celebration of the baby Jesus birth. Don't try and hide the fact that it is a Christian celebration.

this thread belongs in the Dope Box..., oh wait, I mean "Soap" box.

somebody move it, please, I beg you....

(This post was edited by robbovius on Dec 4, 2006, 11:42 AM)

bizarrodrinker

Dec 4, 2006, 11:45 AM
Post #13 of 34 (2169 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robbovius] what is Christmas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Christmas IS the time to hang out with the fam (hopefully you've got one) with a nice single malt and decorate on trees...I mean a tree.

kachoong

Dec 4, 2006, 11:51 AM
Post #14 of 34 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:

Like a lot of threads in Campground Crazy

styndall

Dec 4, 2006, 12:19 PM
Post #15 of 34 (2150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

madriver wrote:

Christmas in this country isn't a Christian celebration anymore. It was a long time ago, but now it's a near-universal American cultural day based on giving gifts and over-eating. A lot of non-Christians celebrate some kind of Christmas, even if they couldn't care less about Jesus' birthday.

It's like Memorial Day. Memorial Day is ostensibly to celebrate veterans and sacrifice, but now that meaning has been far overshadowed by backyard barbecues, beer, and department store sales events. Memorial Day may have started as a celebration of sacrifice and heroism, but it's basically lost that and moved to a celebration of discount women's fashion.

madriver

Dec 4, 2006, 12:31 PM
Post #16 of 34 (2141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:
madriver wrote:

Dope Box huh....welll merry Cristmas to you too!!!!

Jesus loves you

jumpingrock

Dec 4, 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #17 of 34 (2134 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lisamariewillbe] what is Christmas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lisamariewillbe wrote:
In reply to:
Christmas is actually a pagan festival stolen by the Christians in order to help "convert" all those pagan barbarians

UHHHH NO. Its to celebrate christs birth. Although he was born earlier probably. The pagan in christmas of modern day is the tree. The christmas tree is a pagan idea but christmas is not

UHHHH NO. It was appropriated by the Christians in order to subjugate the pagans. Sure the name is different but a winter solstice celebration by any other name is still a winter solstice celebration. If jesus wasn't born on Christmas day why do you celebrate it on Christmas?

carabiner96

Dec 4, 2006, 12:50 PM
Post #18 of 34 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What he said.

My family isn't religious, but we celebrate "christmas" by spending time together as a family, doing nostalgic things, and exchanging gifts and things that we feel our loved ones will enjoy.

jesus just gives us an excuse to -yes- pull our heads our of our asses for a while.

kachoong

Dec 4, 2006, 12:54 PM
Post #19 of 34 (2127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] what is Christmas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It could just as easily be called "St. Patricks Day" for all my stomach could tell.

cintune

Dec 4, 2006, 12:57 PM
Post #20 of 34 (2123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ANCIENT EGYPT: The god-man/savior Osiris died and was entombed on DEC-21. "At midnight, the priests emerged from an inner shrine crying 'The Virgin has brought forth! The light is waxing" and showing the image of a baby to the worshipers."
ANCIENT GREECE: The winter solstice ritual was called Lenaea, the Festival of the Wild Women. In very ancient times, a man representing the harvest god Dionysos was torn to pieces and eaten by a gang of women on this day. Later in the ritual, Dionysos would be reborn as a baby. By classical times, the human sacrifice had been replaced by the killing of a goat. The women's role had changed to that of funeral mourners and observers of the birth.
ANCIENT ROME: Saturnalia began as a feast day for Saturn on DEC-17 and of Ops (DEC-19). About 50 BCE, both were later converted into two day celebrations. During the Empire, the festivals were combined to cover a full week: DEC-17 to 23.

By the third century CE, there were many religions and spiritual mysteries being followed within the Roman Empire. Many, if not most, celebrated the birth of their god-man near the time of the solstice. Emperor Aurelian (270 to 275 CE) blended a number of Pagan solstice celebrations of the nativity of such god-men/saviors as Appolo, Attis, Baal, Dionysus, Helios, Hercules, Horus, Mithra, Osiris, Perseus, and Theseus into a single festival called the "Birthday of the Unconquered Sun" on DEC-25. At the time, Mithraism and Christianity were fierce competitors. Aurelian had even declared Mithraism the official religion of the Roman Empire in 274 CE. Christianity won out by becoming the new official religion in the 4th century CE.

CHRISTIANITY: Any record of the date of birth of Yeshua of Nazareth (later known as Jesus Christ) has been lost. There is sufficient evidence in the Gospels to indicate that Yeshua was born in the fall, but this seems to have been unknown to early Christians. By the beginning of the 4th century CE, there was intense interest in choosing a day to celebrate Yeshua's birthday. The western church leaders selected DEC-25 because this was already the date recognized throughout the Roman Empire as the birthday of various Pagan gods. 1,2 Since there was no central Christian authority at the time, it took centuries before the tradition was universally accepted.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/winter_solstice.htm

maww

Dec 4, 2006, 1:00 PM
Post #21 of 34 (2116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jumpingrock wrote:
lisamariewillbe wrote:
In reply to:

UHHHH NO. It was appropriated by the Christians in order to subjugate the pagans. Sure the name is different but a winter solstice celebration by any other name is still a winter solstice celebration. If jesus wasn't born on Christmas day why do you celebrate it on Christmas?

Yep. What he said.

maww

Dec 4, 2006, 1:01 PM
Post #22 of 34 (2113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And Cintune too.

lisamariewillbe

Dec 4, 2006, 1:05 PM
Post #23 of 34 (2108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because due to lack of transportation and being far away by the time the "three wise men" came bearing gifts, it was awhile AFTER he was in fact born, at least thats one theory, since no one knows the actual date of his birth Dec 25th is commonly accept by christians or Jan 7th. Winter Solstice is not even a Pagan thing, the pagans celebrate YULE.

jumpingrock

Dec 4, 2006, 1:12 PM
Post #24 of 34 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am going to respectfully say you are wrong, and humbly suggest that you do some research on the topic.

Merry Christianized Pagan Holiday to you! :-)

cintune

Dec 4, 2006, 1:14 PM
Post #25 of 34 (2094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Scandinavian pagans, anyway. But it doesn't matter what you call it, the only hard fact is that the days start to get longer, and that's enough reason to celebrate, as far as I'm concerned.

Hail to the sun god,
For He is a fun god,
Ra, Ra, Ra.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$8.96 (10% off)
$107.96 (10% off)