RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

majid_sabet

Dec 11, 2006, 5:27 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1518 views)
Shortcut

3 Climbers Missing On Mount Hood
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

MOUNT HOOD, Ore. - Rescuers are searching Mount Hood for three missing climbers.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa061211_wz_missingclimbers.1963315e.html

The men left the Cooper Spur ski resort Thursday to climb up the north side of the mountain and then down the south side to Timberline Lodge. Friends were to pick them up Friday at the lodge.

The three experienced climbers are in their 30s. They are from out of state and have never climbed Hood.

Sunday, Portland Mountain Rescue said one of the men called his wife from his cell phone, saying he was stuck in a snow cave below the summit on Elliot Glacier. He said the others left Saturday to find help but never returned. The phone cut off, and he could not be reached again.

Weather conditions are making it tough for crews to search the mountain.

"There's much harder ice, much deeper ice, more exposed rock. To compound things, we have bad weather up there, very high winds, new snow, a little bit of avalanche hazard, and we're also looking for three lost individuals, so if those individuals did not stay together, then we have even more people to go find," Steve Rollins of PMR told KOIN News 6.

Searchers called off the effort Sunday night but returned early Monday to the mountain. An Oregon Air National Guard rescue helicopters and crew are standing by should weather conditions improve.

The climbers are reportedly well equipped but packed light for a quick trip

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Dec 11, 2006, 5:31 PM)

erin

Dec 12, 2006, 7:49 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1433 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] 3 Climbers Missing On Mount Hood [In reply to]
Report this Post

Does anyone have more information yet? I saw the story on the news this morning, and have kept them in my thoughts all day.

zip_ty

Dec 12, 2006, 8:08 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1420 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erin] 3 Climbers Missing On Mount Hood [In reply to]
Report this Post

According to oregonlive.com the weather has broken enough for them to get two teams on the mountain and a helicopter. One team is going up the north side to find the injured climber and another team is going around the southwest side to find the two that went for help.

My thoughts are out for everyone involved. Hope they all stay safe and everyone makes it home for the holidays!

majid_sabet

Dec 12, 2006, 8:19 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1416 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erin] 3 Climbers Missing On Mount Hood [In reply to]
Report this Post

I spend a week in winter SAR operation management training and I know what a nightmare this SAR is going to be. I wished all three stayed as one team and never got separated , I hope every one get home safe .

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Dec 12, 2006, 8:31 PM)

zip_ty

Dec 12, 2006, 10:25 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Update: From oregonlive.com. Here's the link. Scroll down for the story.

http://www.oregonlive.com/.../2006_12.html#214805

In reply to:
James' location pinpointed; break in weather needed
Searchers have pinpointed the whereabouts of Kelly James, the injured climber who sought refuge in a snow cave on Mount Hood last week, to within 500 meters of his actual location. James appears to be staying put, searchers said Tuesday.

Now searchers need the weather to cooperate so they can start combing the ground for his snow cave, which is believed to be at 10,300 feet of elevation.

Employees from T-Mobile USA, James' cell phone service provider,
say that they've frequently been "pinging" his phone to determine where he is and that he likely hasn't been moving.

James, 48, of Dallas, Texas, is one of three experienced climbers who headed out last Thursday to summit the mountain via the difficult Cooper Spur route. His companions -- Brian Hall, 37, also of Dallas, and Jerry "Nikko" Cooke, 36, of Brooklyn, New York -- continued down the mountain to get help after Kelly injured himself and are still missing.

Searchers are looking for Hall and Cooke at various areas of the mountain, including ZigZag Canyon on the chance that the pair got lost as they descended the mountain's fall line. The fall line bypasses Timberline Lodge, and following it has been a common mistake for other lost climbers in the past.

James called his family on Sunday and sounded disorganized and under a lot of stress, sheriff's officials said. T-Mobile spokesman Peter Dobrow is guessing that James hasn't been able to get a strong enough signal to make a call again, although he still has battery life left.

"He's on the extreme edge of coverage, and it's actually quite remarkable and encouraging that we're able to secure any information," Dobrow said of the pings.

Eighteen searchers are focusing their efforts on the ZigZag Canyon area for Hall and Cooke. Four others are awaiting clearer weather atop the Palmer Lift, at about 8,000 feet, to start hiking up to search for James. Searchers say while they welcome the brief break in the stormy weather on Mount Hood, their biggest worry is the extreme avalanche danger.

Capt. Mark Ross with the 304th Rescue Squadron said the calmer weather has given searchers a chance to be more effective.

“It’s definitely worth doing,” he said. “I have found people who have been lost in the snow for longer periods, kids even.”

The trio stranded on Mount Hood are described by friends and family as experienced climbers who sought the challenge of scaling the mountain in tough conditions.

reno

Dec 12, 2006, 10:49 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1350 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

There are two threads on this incident, and I'm locking this one to keep things from getting overly redundant.

The other thread is available by clicking here:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...;;page=unread#unread

Thanks.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook