Premier Sponsor:

wanderlustmd

Dec 12, 2006, 7:32 AM
Post #1 of 13 (875 views)
Shortcut

Airport Xmas Trees
Report this Post
Can't Post

A seattle airport took down their Xmas trees voluntarily after a rabbi asked that a menorah be added to the spread. You can find the article on CNN, but there was a potential lawsuit involved and rather than play cultural police the airport officials had the trees removed during the graveyard shift to minimize publicity.

What do you thnk about this? I'm all for equal representation, but there is such a thing as PC gone too far....if the rabbi wanted a menorah, why didn't he add one himself? I don't think the airport was officially against it, but didn't add a menorah due to some policy....(we need more information)

(This post was edited by wanderlustmd on Dec 12, 2006, 7:32 AM)

wanderlustmd

Dec 12, 2006, 7:34 AM
Post #2 of 13 (872 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wanderlustmd] Airport Xmas Trees [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is the article

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1110AP_Airport_Christmas_Trees.html

There is a new article saying they have now been replacedCrazy

Regardless, what are you thoughts on the whole shebang?

(This post was edited by wanderlustmd on Dec 12, 2006, 7:37 AM)

sonso45

Dec 12, 2006, 8:18 AM
Post #3 of 13 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe I am a tolerant and accepting person and I would like to think we could all celebrate the season together. I don't blame our jewish neighbors for the trees' removal. I blame the airport for their lack of even trying to reach out. Airports are used by all of us that can afford to fly. Why not reach out to our diverse cultures and provide them the opportunity to add their seasonal display? Being a pagan, I'd like to put a big boulder in the airport mall and worship in my own way, by crawling all over it.

slablizard

Dec 12, 2006, 11:40 AM
Post #4 of 13 (835 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonso45] Airport Xmas Trees [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe we pay too much attention to symbols and we miss the important things.
A rabbi should have more important things to worry about than a christmas tree.

b_crux

Dec 12, 2006, 11:43 AM
Post #5 of 13 (835 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonso45] Airport Xmas Trees [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't really care who or what people choose to worship, but I don't understand what the big fucking deal is. It's just a Christmas tree. If you get offended by a Christmas tree, then you are WAY too uptight. It's not like they hung pictures of the Holocaust or Swastikas or something. Whenever I see this kind of thing I always wonder why someone would get so worked up over something so small and meaningless.

Partner wideguy

Dec 12, 2006, 3:29 PM
Post #6 of 13 (819 views)
Shortcut

Re: [b_crux] Airport Xmas Trees [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

b_crux wrote:
I don't really care who or what people choose to worship, but I don't understand what the big fucking deal is. It's just a Christmas tree. If you get offended by a Christmas tree, then you are WAY too uptight. It's not like they hung pictures of the Holocaust or Swastikas or something. Whenever I see this kind of thing I always wonder why someone would get so worked up over something so small and meaningless.

Read the article. the Rabbi wasn't offended by them. Simply wanted a menorah added. The airport wasn't opposed to a menorah per se but got concerned that they were getting into a quagmire requiring the addition of Kwaanza, Winter Solstice, etc etc etc.

One official said something to the effect of "We don't have time during this busy period to do the necessary research to make sure every religion is equally represented. So we felt the fairest course was to remove the trees. ?

reno

Dec 12, 2006, 3:32 PM
Post #7 of 13 (816 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wideguy] Airport Xmas Trees [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to wonder:

Was the decision based, in any part, on the fear that a Jewish symbol would incite anger, protests, or violence on the part of Sea-Tac's Muslim community?

I'm not saying they would... I'm asking if the fear of the possibility played a role.

wanderlustmd

Dec 12, 2006, 4:44 PM
Post #8 of 13 (805 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Airport Xmas Trees [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think there was any fear, except from a potential lawsuit. The trees were replaced after the lawsuit was withdrawn.

reno

Dec 12, 2006, 5:23 PM
Post #9 of 13 (801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Eh, mebbe:

From CNN.com:

In reply to:
Airport managers believed that if they allowed the addition of an 8-foot-tall menorah to the display, as Seattle Rabbi Elazar Bogomilsky had requested, they would also have to display symbols of other religions and cultures, which was not something airport workers had time for during the busiest travel season of the year, Airport Director Mark Reis said earlier Monday.

Port officials received word Monday afternoon that Bogomilsky's organization would not file a lawsuit at this time to seek the placement of a menorah, Davis said in a statement.

Emphasis mine. It's possible, I suppose, that the whole "We don't have time to add everything" is a nice, convenient excuse.

Again, I don't know... just asking questions.

wanderlustmd

Dec 13, 2006, 5:10 AM
Post #10 of 13 (783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I was thinking the same thing....although to their credit, they did what they thought was fair by initally taking them down. You can look at it both ways: the holiday season is busy, and they don't have time to do a huge display, but on the other hand they have time to put up nine plastic trees, so why not one menorah. You can see their what they are saying..."do it for one, do it for everyone else." I guess push comes to shove America is predominantly Christian, although we are by no means a single religon society and should therefore act accordingly. They should at least have the option to place religious symbols other than Christian available to the airport staff, with the airport providing Xmas decorations....Unimpressed

reno

Dec 13, 2006, 6:24 AM
Post #11 of 13 (777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wanderlust:

Yeah, I think you've nailed it.

If the admin folks at Sea-Tac airport are SMART about this, next year they'll invite kids from the local Christian churches, along with kids from Jewish synagogues (spelling?... I can NEVER get it right, it seems...) and whatever other local entity wants in, and let the children put up decorations.

Who the heck could bitch and moan and threaten to sue over decorations put up by children? :)

Partner sevrdhed

Dec 13, 2006, 7:17 AM
Post #12 of 13 (773 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
Who the heck could bitch and moan and threaten to sue over decorations put up by children? :)

You? Wink

Actually, I'll bet there's a lot of radical fundies out there that could, unfortunately.

wanderlustmd

Dec 13, 2006, 7:52 AM
Post #13 of 13 (766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
Wanderlust:

Yeah, I think you've nailed it.

If the admin folks at Sea-Tac airport are SMART about this, next year they'll invite kids from the local Christian churches, along with kids from Jewish synagogues (spelling?... I can NEVER get it right, it seems...) and whatever other local entity wants in, and let the children put up decorations.

That's a good idea. Radicals might bitch, but if they do it's not like the officials couldn't say "it was an open call to decorate, and we're not responsible"Wink

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$13.46 (10% off)
$49.46 (10% off)
$11.66 (10% off)
$8.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook