RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

climbsomething

Dec 13, 2006, 6:52 AM
Post #1 of 23 (2691 views)
Shortcut

where did fracture's thread go?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It would appear that the "this is the feedback forum" thread was sent to the "recycle bin" forum (which I don't have privis to so I imagine most users don't)

Why? And by whom?

It was certainly not the most caustic thread in this forum; much of the discussion was worthy.

I hope there's a damn good reason.

Can you hear my foil crinkling?!

(This post was edited by climbsomething on Dec 13, 2006, 7:02 AM)

veganboyjosh

Dec 13, 2006, 7:19 AM
Post #2 of 23 (2678 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] where did fracture's thread go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

good god this is getting outrageous.

epic_ed

Dec 13, 2006, 8:02 AM
Post #3 of 23 (2670 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tossed it. Just like the previous one from him that he's complaining about, it's not related to suggestions, or feedback, or anything else constructive. It's just a whiney bitchfest. I think we're about done with that stuff around here. If you can't vent without the personal attacks or can't voice a complaint without being an ass, then we have every right not to allow it to pollute the forums.

I sent the first one to Campground, but it's really not appropriate there, either. I sent this one to the recycle bin because there's really no other place for it. but I wasn't aware that members couldn't read the content of that forum. I'm kind of stuck, but I'm definitely done reading the personal attack comments and were going to start moving these out of here without prejudice.

Hil -- I luv ya, but this has gone on long enough and it's gotten way too damn personal. Not your comments, in particular, but those that are outright trolling for negative interaction.

Ed

jakedatc

Dec 13, 2006, 2:01 PM
Post #4 of 23 (2651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well that sucks that her well thought out post calling for peace was tossed. any way of moving that post to a similar feedback thread so it can be read by more people (since it was posted so recently im sure alot missed it)

I think even tossed threads should have a single post left so the Mod can leave an explanation for it's disappearance and add some accountability. Or else every thread that gets tossed will have a sister thread asking why

epic_ed

Dec 13, 2006, 2:43 PM
Post #5 of 23 (2647 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] where did fracture's thread go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
I think even tossed threads should have a single post left so the Mod can leave an explanation for it's disappearance and add some accountability. Or else every thread that gets tossed will have a sister thread asking why

I agree with that entirely, but it doesn't look like that's a tool at my disposal at the moment unless I want to toss it into Campground where it really doesn't fit, either. It's another solution we'll have to implement soon.

Ed

kachoong

Dec 13, 2006, 3:12 PM
Post #6 of 23 (2638 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] where did fracture's thread go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm actually not too much in favor of tossing out threads... although I guess in this instance the majority of the intention of the OP was to just whine and offer no assistance or constructive suggestions on how things could be better. Jay is right, in that some things in these type of threads are quite positive and are a true sign of the community's strengths. Usually the crap will eventually drain to the bottom of the forum pile anyway and disappear.

fenix83

Dec 13, 2006, 3:30 PM
Post #7 of 23 (2628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
Yeah, I thought mods and eds was a feedback forum once upon a dream. I was canned for less than what you posted.

But believe it or not, I'm rather saddened to see what's happening with some of the mods in the forums. I know and/or like people on both sides, and I will defend both, if I feel like it. It's all starting to get ugly though, as far as the mod baiting is concerned.

What I am seeing here is an admittedly dubious evolution- you become what jaded users (and they have a right to be jaded) consider yes-men, the users ride you for it, and you crack. (editorial you, btw). I am sympathetic to most field-level mods and don't generally think they should be confused with the owners, but I can see where the blurring of the lines is happening.

The mods are cracking. I spose they have a right to, but you'd think they'd have learned something from sangiro's blatant mangement-on-user flaming. Or not.

If the mods are tired of being picked on, perhaps the only way to battle it is to take the high road or the highway. If they really detest being called yes-men or any other negative associations, they might seriously want to consider getting out. Frankly, the owners deserve the criticism, but shit rolls down hill, so maybe the mods should get out of the way.

I don't see the admins publicly defending their mods who are basically being their whipping boys. I take this as more evidence that they could give a shit about their contributions. (will somebody please accuse me of being a conspiracy theorist huddled in a book depository with a tinfoil hat on? Oh please?)

This site is being ruined from the inside out. Managerial cancer.

But I digress. I feel for BOTH sides (mods and users) but I think BOTH sides need to pull it back a little on the mod bashing, even if it isn't undeserved (again, on both sides).

Dig?

I can't take the thread out of Recycle, but I can re-post this for those who missed it.

Hil, hope you don't mind.

-F

edited to fix link.

(This post was edited by fenix83 on Dec 13, 2006, 4:02 PM)

fracture

Dec 13, 2006, 3:35 PM
Post #8 of 23 (2627 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epic_ed] where did fracture's thread go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ed, your definition of "personal attack" must be nonstandard.

All I said in that thread is that the moderators are currently doing more harm than good. (Something much more adequately illustrated by your recent actions than my posts.) They are, therefore, a major problem for this website.

That is not a "personal attack", it's an opinion. It's feedback, which is supposedly what this forum is for.

(This post was edited by fracture on Dec 13, 2006, 3:43 PM)

fracture

Dec 13, 2006, 3:36 PM
Post #9 of 23 (2626 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fenix83] where did fracture's thread go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fenix83 wrote:
I can't take the thread out of Recycle, but I can re-post this for those who missed it.

You ruined the link.

climbsomething

Dec 13, 2006, 8:15 PM
Post #10 of 23 (2576 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fenix83] where did fracture's thread go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I certainly don't mind my post being re-posted here. Thanks!

Also, just to re-iterate, I generally sympathize with mods. I italicized "mods" several times in my post to emphasize that.

dingus

Dec 14, 2006, 2:19 AM
Post #11 of 23 (2534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't care what mods do so long as they never EVER presume to edit a single letter I type.

Ever.

So soon as one of them crosses that Rubicon they are less than dirt in my opinion.

I don't care if any of you like that or not.

FWIW, if I were a god-like mod figure and decided to delete a post, I'd fucking delete it and never tall any of you I did it or why.

There is entirely too much hand-wringing here. Don't come to the 'oppressed users' looking for sympathy or justification. Just make your friggin decision and move on.

SHEESH!

DMT

ps. I should have the unlimited ability to delete my own posts, en masse, whenever I choose, for any reason whatsoever. Until that capability exists I am a slave to the machine and anyone serving that machine IS the machine. Deal with it.

DMT

Partner philbox

Dec 14, 2006, 3:37 AM
Post #12 of 23 (2517 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] where did fracture's thread go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Face it dingus you are PWNed111 by the machine. Cool

dingus

Dec 14, 2006, 4:23 AM
Post #13 of 23 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] where did fracture's thread go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh hell yeah but I don't care so there!

Anyway, so like I was in Honolulu last week, flying home. I take Hawaiian direct out of Sacramento and they use the commuter terminal at the airport.

There's a bar there and I like the kalua pig they serve so I like to get there an hour early, swill a beer or two and eat a civil lunch so I don't have to eat airplane sheet.

Bar is always crowded at flight time, I edge in and ask a coupla blokes to make way.

The guy on the right is 3 sheets in the wind, and aussie as all hell. Sam, the bartendah, from Brisbane (I pronounce BrisBANE? He says no, Bris BIN, go figger). Anyway, we chat off and on in between his bouts of flirting with the chunky woman to his right, massize tattoed tits revealed beneath a sloppy deep cut blouse. She looked like she could suck the chrome off Sam the Bahtandah's trailer hitch, dig?

Anyway, Sam was a friendly sort. I ordered a beer and the bartender asked if I wanted a shot for an extra 3 bucks. I declined as I rarely indulge in such shenanigans anymore.

Sam is all, "Mate, they give FREE SHOTS with yer beer here. Very nice of them I say." And I'm all,

SAMMMMMMMY! Those shots are 3 bucks a pop mate!" He laughs and says merrily, "well I guess the jokes on me then isn't it?" (3 empty shot glasses in front of him)

He asks me where I'm from. Sacramento. He smiles (aussies should spell that Smyles as that's how they say it) and says,

"You know the only bloody thing I know about Sacramento? Some madman drove his truck through the capital building!" And he laughs uproariously. "Americans! Violent, crazy, I love you guys!"

True too, some crank crazed truck driver with an ax to grind came up 11th street at 70 mpg in a big rig tractor with no trailer and rammed it right up the capital building's asshole, made quite a fire.

Sam lived in San Fran for a while, says he loves California and the rest of America. We shot the shit for a while, my lunch came, the big breasted sloppy woman from Maui made her play to convince Sam to tear up his ticket home and come stay with her for a few weeks. Somehow he resisted her charms. She left.

I needed another beer to face the 5 hour flight in coach, so when I ordered one I quietly asked the barkeep to give my shot of (1800 Reserve Reposado) tequila Sam had been drinking. She sets it in front of him and walks away without a word. Ole Sammy stares suspiciously at the shot, like, what they 'ell right? I says,

"There's yer free shot Sammy. Cheers!" And held up my mug. Sam tinks my mug with his shot glass and replies,

"I like your style mate." He recounted why he likes Tequila... "Only drink made from a single plant. Pure and all that."

He watches me tip and sign the bill. "What do you guys tip round here?"

"Twenty percent if the service is good." He says American's tip big, way bigger'n he's used to. I tell him a lot of service folks make minimum wage or less, no benefits and they live off the tips.

He liked the Aloha shirts the bartenders there wore. Says his is gray with a pound symbol on is.

"Bloody wish they'd pay me in pounds. All they give me are those crapp dollars."

But he also says he makes 20 bucks an hour before tips too.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed my 45 minutes of shooting the shit with a drunk Aussie bartender from Brisbane named Sam.

Don't know him do ya?

(despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage, but you knew that too Phil old son)

DMT

veganboyjosh

Dec 14, 2006, 5:30 AM
Post #14 of 23 (2491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
I don't care what mods do so long as they never EVER presume to edit a single letter I type.

Ever.

So soon as one of them crosses that Rubicon they are less than dirt in my opinion.

I don't care if any of you like that or not.

FWIW, if I were a god-like mod figure and decided to delete a post, I'd fucking delete it and never tall any of you I did it or why.

There is entirely too much hand-wringing here. Don't come to the 'oppressed users' looking for sympathy or justification. Just make your friggin decision and move on.

SHEESH!

DMT

ps. I should have the unlimited ability to delete my own posts, en masse, whenever I choose, for any reason whatsoever. Until that capability exists I am a slave to the machine and anyone serving that machine IS the machine. Deal with it.

DMT

mmmmmmkalua pig.

Partner philbox

Dec 14, 2006, 5:54 AM
Post #15 of 23 (2482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus what a coincidence I was only just talking to a yank from Sacramento. Cool

Heh, my cool story of meeting an expat Ozzie is based in France. We were on a WW1 Aussie battlefields tour where we visited Turkey (Gallipoli), Israel, (Beersheba Jerusalem and other points in Palestine) then on to London where we nearly met our doom down the tube when the bombs went off last year.

On to France where we visited the battlefields of the Somme. While we were in northern France we had to stop in a hotel in the centre of a town called Lille. Well it was a nightmare navigating our way around in ever diminishing circles until we zeroed in on the hotel smack bang in the centre of Lille.

Mind you I had to jump out of the car and go read a street map on a billboard to find the place. I then walked to it and guided the guys to the hotel whilst walking up the wrong way on a one way street with the cars following behind like mother goose and her ducklings.

So after settling in we needed some grub so off we head for a late afternoon ale or three. What should confront us right there in the middle of the olde town square but Cafe Oz, The Australian Bar. No joke, that was the name of the place.

So we ensconced our good selves at a table after stealing numerous chairs from the locals, hey we felt like we were on home turf, none of this Froggy sounding politeness for us.

The place was insanely busy.

We waited ages to get noticed so I sauntered up to the bar and the waiter looked straight into my eyes and with his eyes half shut offered up a distinctively French Bonjour, I immediately and with as much Aussie drawl as I could muster declared, "What does it take to get a drink around here". Without batting an eyelid he retorted "No worries mate, waddya want", in an equally strong Aussie drawl. I came straight back with "Gimme a double Sars". "Nah mate, can't do that, they don't make it over here". I had to settle for something else, dunno what it was couldn't remember if I tried.

Anyway, had an awesome chat with an expat and I am sure he apreciated it as well.

atg200

Dec 14, 2006, 4:29 PM
Post #16 of 23 (2445 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] where did fracture's thread go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to have a job working in mining camps in some of the worst places in the world. Without fail, the most fun guy to go drinking with was a crazy Aussie expat. It is mandatory to have one of these guys in every mining camp anywhere in the world.

One of the most memorable nights out with this type was at a gold mine way out in the boonies in Uzbekistan with a big crazy Australian who was there to do repairs on the leach pad. There was this Russian nightclub there called the Elegant that all the expats frequented Saturday nights. The first hour was a bizarre dance show - local kids maybe 15-20 years old ballroom dancing to Boys 2 Men songs while wearing ratty old tuxes and gowns, country line dancing, a solo act of a guy doing the robot dance to eurotrash techno, etc. The only way to survive this part was heavy drinking. Mind you at this bar a bottle of beer was about $3, and a half liter bottle of vodka was about $1 - so if it wasn't vodka we weren't drinking it.

At any rate, the Aussie and I were swilling cheap Vodka watching this indescribably campy dance routine when I get the hiccups. He yells out "Stand up mate, i'll get you sorted!" I stand up, and the guy punches me in the stomach as hard as he can. After an eternity of laying on that nasty floor wheezing I finally manage to stagger back to the table. The Aussie is sitting there with a shit eating grin on his face and simply says "Bet you aren't hiccuping anymore, are you mate?"

And that is my Ausie in Uzbekistan story.

(This post was edited by atg200 on Dec 14, 2006, 4:31 PM)

caughtinside

Dec 14, 2006, 5:54 PM
Post #17 of 23 (2429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atg200] where did fracture's thread go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No doubt aussies are the funnest to party with. Here's my story.

I met TK at a pensione in San Sebastian, on the north coast of Spain. we went out drinking, and for the world famous tapas.

Anyway, we start chatting up these english girls. I'm getting pretty trashed. In the bathroom, I tell TK I'm heading back and crashing.

"Mate!" he sez to me. "Those are English girls!"

I stare back, glassy eyed.

"You never walk away from English girls when they're on the piss!!" with an impish gleam in his eye. (for those who don't know 'on the piss' is aussie slang for drinking.)

So I go back out there, and the four of us continue laughing and drinking. The night is a blur for me.

But the next morning, I see both girls walking out of TK's room.

never walk away from English girls when they're drinking. But what do I know? I'm just a Seppo.

reno

Dec 14, 2006, 6:06 PM
Post #18 of 23 (2427 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] where did fracture's thread go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
I met TK at a pensione in San Sebastian, on the north coast of Spain. we went out drinking, and for the world famous tapas.

Little help here.... what's a "pensione"?

Never heard the term.

Thanks.

caughtinside

Dec 14, 2006, 6:13 PM
Post #19 of 23 (2426 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] where did fracture's thread go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A pensione is a small hotel. They tend to be cheap, but a step up from something like a hostel. I like staying in them, as they tend to be run by a local family, and the furniture in them is usually very old, and the decor tends to be amusing, outdated and unique.

The term might be exclusive to Europe? not sure...

aha. here is some wiki action for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pensione

reno

Dec 14, 2006, 6:26 PM
Post #20 of 23 (2423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool, thanks.

Partner j_ung

Dec 14, 2006, 6:42 PM
Post #21 of 23 (2418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
I'm just a Seppo.

A Marx brother? More Wiki action, please. Tongue

caughtinside

Dec 14, 2006, 8:07 PM
Post #22 of 23 (2403 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] where did fracture's thread go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A 'Seppo' is more aussie slang. Those guys are crazy!

'Seppo' is an abbreviation for 'Septic Tank Yank,' ie, we are full of shit. those mangy ozzies are creative if nothing else. THey call the english 'Pommies' which is slang for 'Prisoners Of Mother England' a neat little acronym.

I was fortunate enough to do a little study abroad when I was in college. I was in a town called Wollongong, 1 hr south of sydney. I lived in a dorm, where I had my own room, had three 19 yr old aussie dudes with their rooms, and we shared a bathroom. Those dudes used to KILL me with their slang, nicknames, etc.

One that I thought was really funny was 'root,' as in 'have a root' as in have sex. This all came to a head when my roommate Cookie took a Sharpie and wrote on my door 'Do Not Enter--Dave is having a root.' the ladies thought that was classy.

Partner philbox

Dec 14, 2006, 9:45 PM
Post #23 of 23 (2386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep caughtinside has it right. It is all about the rhyming slang. So the histroy of Seppo is indeed Septic Tank which rhymes with Yank. As we are pretty much an equal opportunity anti discimination lot, anyone who comes from the US would be called a seppo even if they came from the northern or southern parts of the US. Canadians can also be lumped in as seppos as they all sound the same to Aussies. Of course we refrain from calling Canadians seppos once they have hit us in the face to show us the error of our ways. No such courtesy is extended to yanks however as everyone knows they are indeed seppos.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook