RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

declimber

Dec 13, 2006, 5:27 PM
Post #1 of 5 (580 views)
Shortcut

New Zealand
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am lucky enough to be going on a study abroad to New Zealand for January, and I was wondering if anyone had been there or lives there and had advice for where to climb and what to bring.

I am hesitant to bring a rope and draws because I am not sure of the extent to which we will be able to get to bolted crags, but I am going to bring a bouldering pad which I will just leave on the bus we are traveling in. The pad is my second checked luggage and I don't know if I want the weight of a rope and draws added onto my first checked bag.

We will be traveling around both the North and South islands, with about 5 free days total for the month. There will only be myself and another climber on the trip, the rest photographers as it is a photo study abroad.

ANy advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

(This post was edited by declimber on Dec 13, 2006, 5:33 PM)

stashyboy

Dec 13, 2006, 7:01 PM
Post #2 of 5 (553 views)
Shortcut

Re: [declimber] New Zealand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

start with this site's database and google NZ climbing...there is plenty of good climbing on both north and south islands...people are really friendly there and you should have no problem hooking up....make a few contacts before you go and you'll be all set. Make sure you visit some of the cool stuff like the thermals, caves, southern alps...the list is too numerous..have a blast-wish I was going back!

Partner philbox

Dec 13, 2006, 8:10 PM
Post #3 of 5 (534 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stashyboy] New Zealand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are some absolutely gobsmacking boulder fields ripe for the plucking, definitely take the bouldering mat if you take nothing else. You should also try to hitch a ride up on a helicopter to the Fox Glacier and other locales up in the alps.

chalker7

Dec 13, 2006, 9:18 PM
Post #4 of 5 (514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing magazine had a huge write up on bouldering in New Zealand a while back. Quantum Field I think they called it? Check it out for me since I won't be goin there anytime soon. Looked cool as hell in the article. Have fun.

socialclimber

Dec 13, 2006, 11:18 PM
Post #5 of 5 (499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You may regret not bringing a rope and draws, There is plenty of accessable sport climbing in the North Island and two of the most popular climbing areas in the South Island (Paynes Ford and Wanaka)are predominatly sport too. A pad is great if you can bring it, but while we might have one of the better bouldering areas on the planet with Castle Hill, there isn't a huge amount of bouldering to be had in other parts of the country. It is possible to hire pads for short or long term once you are here, in the South Island at least. The rule of thumb regarding gear is: bring what you need, you wont want to buy it once you get here.

Cheers,

Gary.

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook