Forums: Community: The Soap Box:
A Remarkable and Horrifying Story of Religous Intolerance
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Soap Box

Premier Sponsor:

 


unabonger


Dec 16, 2006, 9:42 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1003 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 8, 2003
Posts: 2688

A Remarkable and Horrifying Story of Religous Intolerance
Report this Post
Can't Post

Get the podcast of this weeks "This American Life".

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/podcast.xml


This tragedy is why religion has no place in public schools.


reno


Dec 16, 2006, 11:44 AM
Post #2 of 11 (973 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 30, 2001
Posts: 18283

Re: [unabonger] A Remarkable and Horrifying Story of Religous Intolerance [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Heya, UB:

Can you post up a brief synopsis for those of us so technologically inept and repressed that we don't have a clue what a podcast is?


squierbypetzl
Moderator

Dec 16, 2006, 12:55 PM
Post #3 of 11 (966 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 6, 2005
Posts: 3431

Re: [reno] A Remarkable and Horrifying Story of Religous Intolerance [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
Heya, UB:

Can you post up a brief synopsis for those of us so technologically inept and repressed that we don't have a clue what a podcast is?

guess not. . .


stymingersfink


Dec 16, 2006, 2:50 PM
Post #4 of 11 (940 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 12, 2003
Posts: 7250

Re: [squierbypetzl] A Remarkable and Horrifying Story of Religous Intolerance [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
reno wrote:
Heya, UB:

Can you post up a brief synopsis for those of us so technologically inept and repressed that we don't have a clue what a podcast is?

guess not. . .

This American Life Podcast Synopsis wrote:

WBEZ "this American Life" Podcast Page

Serry and her husband's love story began in a place not usually associated with romance: the West Bank. It was there that the couple met, fell in love and decided to get married. Then Serry, who was American, convinced her Palestinian husband to move to America. She promised him that in America their children would never encounter prejudice or strife of any kind. But things didn't quite work out that way. This week, two different cultures � Muslim and non-Muslim, East and West � try to understand one another, convince one another, with very mixed results. Broadcast the weekend of December 15-16 in most places, or here via free podcast, download, and streaming MP3 next week.


overlord


Dec 16, 2006, 11:35 PM
Post #5 of 11 (892 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 25, 2002
Posts: 14120

Re: [stymingersfink] A Remarkable and Horrifying Story of Religous Intolerance [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the link doesnt work for me. but it sounds like an interesting topic... will have to see if i can find itWink


unabonger


Dec 17, 2006, 9:14 AM
Post #6 of 11 (866 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 8, 2003
Posts: 2688

Re: [overlord] A Remarkable and Horrifying Story of Religous Intolerance [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a link to the actual mp3 file.


http://audio.thisamericanlife.org/podcast/226.mp3


coloredchalker


Dec 18, 2006, 8:46 AM
Post #7 of 11 (751 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 6, 2005
Posts: 550

Re: [stymingersfink] A Remarkable and Horrifying Story of Religous Intolerance [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:

...She promised him that in America their children would never encounter prejudice or strife of any kind. But things didn't quite work out that way. This week, two different cultures � Muslim and non-Muslim, East and West � try to understand one another, convince one another, with very mixed results. Broadcast the weekend of December 15-16 in most places, or here via free podcast, download, and streaming MP3 next week.

I haven't listened to this podcast but just reading the bold text made me roll my eyes. Some people are niave (sp). Stupid people, get a clue.


fluxus


Dec 18, 2006, 8:57 AM
Post #8 of 11 (748 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 2, 2003
Posts: 947

Re: [unabonger] A Remarkable and Horrifying Story of Religous Intolerance [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard the story on the way home from work on friday. Made me sick to my stomach. But the story was about far more than the girl's clueless teacher, who was depicted as the worst kind of christian imaginable, it was about the other kids (who's religions, ir any, were not stated in the story) and their hateful behavior, and school admins. who wouldn't take the necessary action, and about a school disctrict that openly promoted anti-islamic propaganda.


madriver


Dec 18, 2006, 9:58 AM
Post #9 of 11 (736 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 17, 2001
Posts: 8700

Re: [fluxus] A Remarkable and Horrifying Story of Religous Intolerance [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you mean it was an isolated story about religious intolerance and prejudice in the U.S. Go tell...well doesn't that beat all. Why just the other day I was telling my kids that there was no more racisim in America since Madonna started adopting African babies....crap.....now I'm going to have and explain that only certain people are tolerant of all and that Americans are not what they seem....


Love

L. Maddox


unabonger


Dec 19, 2006, 10:07 AM
Post #10 of 11 (699 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 8, 2003
Posts: 2688

Re: [madriver] A Remarkable and Horrifying Story of Religous Intolerance [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

madriver wrote:
you mean it was an isolated story about religious intolerance and prejudice in the U.S. Go tell...well doesn't that beat all. Why just the other day I was telling my kids that there was no more racisim in America since Madonna started adopting African babies....crap.....now I'm going to have and explain that only certain people are tolerant of all and that Americans are not what they seem....


Love

L. Maddox

Despite the tag line promo about the woman's expectations, this wasn't much except a sub theme of the piece.

And what made it heinous was that it wasn't "isolated". First of all, it was teachers, families, and school administrators, really a whole community that fucked them over. It could (and probably does) happen anywhere in the USA. The danger of religious intolerance is that "isolated" incidents start happening regularly.

Without clear separation of church and state, there would be no remedy for the abuse done to this family, which was virtually destroyed by ignorant teachers, families, and the school administration. The US DOJ took up the case and forced the school system into a settlement. They should have fired the teacher but apparently decided to give her "diversity training". Ech. She should be fired, sued, and fined.


madriver


Dec 19, 2006, 11:45 AM
Post #11 of 11 (676 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 17, 2001
Posts: 8700

Re: [unabonger] A Remarkable and Horrifying Story of Religous Intolerance [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

unabonger wrote:
madriver wrote:
you mean it was an isolated story about religious intolerance and prejudice in the U.S. Go tell...well doesn't that beat all. Why just the other day I was telling my kids that there was no more racisim in America since Madonna started adopting African babies....crap.....now I'm going to have and explain that only certain people are tolerant of all and that Americans are not what they seem....


Love

L. Maddox

Despite the tag line promo about the woman's expectations, this wasn't much except a sub theme of the piece.

And what made it heinous was that it wasn't "isolated". First of all, it was teachers, families, and school administrators, really a whole community that fucked them over. It could (and probably does) happen anywhere in the USA. The danger of religious intolerance is that "isolated" incidents start happening regularly.

Without clear separation of church and state, there would be no remedy for the abuse done to this family, which was virtually destroyed by ignorant teachers, families, and the school administration. The US DOJ took up the case and forced the school system into a settlement. They should have fired the teacher but apparently decided to give her "diversity training". Ech. She should be fired, sued, and fined.

...so you mean that the combined effort of a community school, lead by a teachers intolerance of a certain religion, lead to the incident? Isolated? UB, besides religious intolerance of Jews and Catholics throughout most of 19th and 20th century USA, and the continued intolerance of Middle Eastern Islam toward any religion other than Islam, why do you think this is isolated? Hatred, intolerance, Religion, sounds like business as usual to me. Every other religious thread on this site turns into a hate fest. The difference I see between us (Americans) and the say the Middle East is our ability to see hatred and intolerance amongst ourselves and have the ability to recognize it and absolve or resolve it. Media hype of isolated instances of such transgressions may be needed to point out a simmering resentment we have toward Muslims. But do you think as a whole we Americans would turn on a particular Religious group or Ethnic group already entrenched into our society and persecute them in an organized effort such as the story you post? The cynics will say we already do, but I see American ideals and values as one of tolerance. Our history of routing out this intolerance is what separates us from Islam and many other cultures throughout the world.

So yeah, while I cant listen to your Podcast, Ill believe just about anything when it comes too human hatred. But what I do know is that if there is anyplace in the world that will rebuke it, it is the good US of A.

Merry Christmas and Happy Climbing

Yours truly,
S. Claus and Elves of dubious religious origin


(This post was edited by madriver on Dec 19, 2006, 12:22 PM)


Forums : Community : The Soap Box

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook