RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

naw

Dec 18, 2006, 2:17 PM
Post #1 of 5 (350 views)
Shortcut

Yosemite Beta Mid May
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I did a search, didn't get exact answers to my questions so please forgive as I'm sure this topic has been discussed a million times. I'm planning on arriving in Yosemite in mid may, and I had a few questions about fees and camping. It says the entrance fee is 4.00, does this mean that once I only have to pay 4.00 and once I'm in the park I can stay for just the camping fees after that? And if I leave again I'll have to pay the 4.00 fee to get back in? I'm driving my car, so I don't know if that changes anything. I'll be heading to Yosemite from Joshua Tree, which should be a 7-8 hr ride. Should I drive all night to get there in the morning in order to get a spot? Also, which day would be best to arrive to get a spot? If I get there and it's full should I just try to grab a spot at a campground close and keep coming over every morning until I can get a spot? Sorry for all the n00blet questions, just trying to plan a pretty big roadtrip in the spring and I need to get the info together. Thanks,

nate

jorgegonzalez

Dec 19, 2006, 8:16 PM
Post #2 of 5 (324 views)
Shortcut

Re: [naw] Yosemite Beta Mid May [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a pass to all the National Parks, so I don't remember but I think the entry pass is good for mutliple entries over a period of so many days, probably a week.

But as for camping, you should come in early Thursday morning, the ranger opens for sales at 8 a.m., but by then the line is ten people long. Shoot to arrive by 5 a.m. and you'll have a reasonable chance. My experience over many years is that people will leave before the weekend and you have a better chance of getting a site. Forget the weekend, you'll just have to find someone to double up with. Or you can do like Chango . . . .

ocgymmgr

Dec 19, 2006, 11:10 PM
Post #3 of 5 (318 views)
Shortcut

Re: [naw] Yosemite Beta Mid May [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Entrance fee is more than four bucks! I think it's around $20 for entrance --unlimited comings and goings for 14 days.The National Parks pass is a better deal if you're coming from JT (which should start getting mighty warm around May).

If you are planning to go up into Yosemite through Tioga Pass from Joshua Tree, just make sure you check to see if it is open. There's been a few times when the snow doesn't clear until late June/July 4th.

Camping in the Valley can be quite a challenge, as it is pretty dang popular.
You can reserve in advance on the internet with a credit card;
you can show up at the walk-in sites and take your chances;
you can check for campsite cancellations at Curry Village;
you can reserve a hotel room, too ($$).

You can also leave the valley and drive back if you can't find a site.

One technique that works sometimes is to walk up to someone in a campsite that won't mind (like an RV'er or a cool set of folks) and tell them you'd pay to toss your bag out in the corner of their site--that you couldn't get a campsite. I don't recommend camping outside the campsites or sleeping in your car. The rangers check. They'll check harder if you've got climbing stickers on your car!
In reply to:

amy

Dec 22, 2006, 4:44 AM
Post #4 of 5 (289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ocgymmgr] Yosemite Beta Mid May [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the entrance fee is 20 bucks when you go in and it lasts for 10 days. your best bet is to buy a national parks pass for 40 bucks when you are at j tree, or at a national park wherever you are now.
tioga pass (That goes through tuolumne meadows) typically opens in june or july, so in may you will most likely have to drive over tehachapi pass down south then head up highway 99 to go get to the park. camping before memorial day should not be a problem at camp four. just don't show up on a friday or saturday. if camping in the valley is full, there is camping at other places in the park. hodgdon meadows for example.
anyway, have a good trip. i live about an hour from the park, so give me a pm if you need a parnter at all :)

valygrl

Dec 23, 2006, 7:38 AM
Post #5 of 5 (276 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amy] Yosemite Beta Mid May [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, the misinformation is phenomenal.
RTFM: http://www.nps.gov/yose/

Entrance fees are enforced at entrance/exit to the park. If you drive in when the booth isn't open, you can avoid this.
$20 for 1 week in/out priveledges.
$50 for NPS pass, goes up to $80 in January, good for 1 year.
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm

Camping info
http://www.nps.gov/archive/yose/trip/camping.htm
camp 4 = $5/person/night
14 day camping limit / high season (starts May 1), enforced:
"There is a 30-day camping limit within Yosemite National Park in a calendar year; however, May 1 - September 15, the camping limit in Yosemite is 14 days, and only 7 of those days can be in Yosemite Valley or Wawona."
May is game-on, you won't be alone.

When you get there, if you are staying a while, the other folks who are staying a while may give you some tips as to how to do it, if you are cool.

Those Who Know Don't Tell, Those Who Tell Don't Know. Onngh Yanngh.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook